NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   What sport help ? (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/133035-sport-help.html)

boytos 09-19-2010 11:26 AM

What sport help ?

What sports relieve your symptome ?

For me badmington help :winky: After like two hours i have no more symptome :eek: no joke :p

:grouphug:

tossucks 09-19-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boytos (Post 696575)
What sports relieve your symptome ?

For me badmington help :winky: After like two hours i have no more symptome :eek: no joke :p

:grouphug:

:eek: badmington:confused: :mf_swordfight: (that was the closest smilie I could find for you) Ouch. Does it hurt after?
I have found simple walking (though not a "sport") seems to be the best thing for me...although it is not pain free, simply moving the body and getting up and getting the heart beating and blood flowing seems to help. It also clears the mind and is a good forum of pain therapy.
cheers,
Jay

boytos 09-19-2010 01:09 PM

Does it hurt after?

No i am pain free for a while after this !

tossucks 09-20-2010 05:57 PM

Hello boytos...I didnt quite know how to respond to your "no pain" answer. After thinking about it more, and remembering back this is the closest I can come up with for an answer. Not long after first being dignosed with tos I was able to get better with therapy, for a few years before it took a turn for the worse. If you are able to to sports with little to no pain I would avoid any ideas of surgery at this point, and get in a good pt program that works for you. That may take some time and trial and error to find one that fits for you, and alot of dedication. Surgery is irreversible, but still necessary at times. It should be a last resort in my opinion. Im glad you are physically able to still enjoy sports.
cheers,
Jay

Anne4tos 09-20-2010 10:32 PM

Boytos:

I played competitive badminton for many years, with the real feather shuttle cocks, and it's one of many sports Doctors are now blaming for my tos. I don't quite see how something I did 20+ years ago is doing me in today. :rolleyes: Regardless, if you are playing badminton, why are you even thinking of surgery?

There are no quick fixes to this horrible condition. If there were, I'd be first in line, so I could simply get on my hands and knees at yoga class.

Anne

boytos 09-21-2010 02:02 AM

i don't think about surgery i think about stopping the evolutive process of tos.
So if badmington relieve my symptome do i must to stop it anyway ?

tied 09-22-2010 06:49 PM

бросок мальчика (Boy toss)

Yoga helps me but with some modifications for sure. If it helps you I would keep on.

derf36 09-29-2010 10:40 AM

Funny you mention badminton since that's my sport.

I've been suffering from TOS on my right side for four years and just had the rib resection 12 days ago. This TOS had caused me to give up a lot of things that I enjoyed. About a year ago I said be damned with it, I was frustrated that my lack of activity was adding to my overall downward spiral of well being. I decided to try badminton again, something I hadn't done for a few years. Much to my surprise it didn't add to my TOS pain.

Although many tasks and movements are very difficult (computer, shopping cart, etc) I found badminton doesn't cause me any pain, in fact, it helps by keeping me in shape. Nothing better for the body and mind than to get a good sweat going. It did nothing to alleviate my TOS symptoms but didn't add to them.

I don't understand physically why badminton doesn't hurt. I'm left handed, so play with my left, and have right side TOS. I'm sure if I was right handed it wouldn't be possible to play.

hippoinsamui 10-02-2010 08:28 PM

thats the oddest thing. coz my doctor told me not to even lift my arms up. well, its been a long time since i could actually lift my arms without pain and have strength. i could barely wash my hair. i would be happy to just able to do that, sports? that is so far from where i am..

astern 10-03-2010 09:19 AM

I wonder if the relief you seem to feel from playing badminton is actually numbness? :confused: