NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Food Court (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/)
-   -   Who's Eating Organic? (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/133912-whos-eating-organic.html)

Kitty 09-28-2010 02:04 PM

Who's Eating Organic?

Does anyone here try to eat strictly organic?

I've been trying and it's not easy. Unless, of course, you shop at Whole Foods each week but that can get expensive.

I'm doing the best I can and so far I've completely stopped eating processed foods. It's taken a while to get used to but boy can I feel the difference (a positive difference).

Seems like I go to the grocery more often but that's because I buy all fresh foods and those only last a few days.

I'm making my own bread using all organic ingredients. I'm eating more raw veggies (no dip!). Meat has become a once-in-a-great-while thing for me. And I don't miss it. Black beans, organic whole grain pasta and organic eggs are now a staple.

What are the others here doing? I'd be interested to know some of your secrets to healthier eating.

MelodyL 10-02-2010 07:26 PM

Hi, you know me, SPROUTLADY!!!! lol

I always try to eat organic as much as possible. All my sprouting seeds have been organic and any chicken I buy has to be organic with no hormones or antibiotics.

But guess what I have re-introduced into my diet?

MEAT!!!! and I don't mean beef.

I have been a beef free person for about 10 years.

Not a vegetarian, because I do eat chicken and fish and grow a lot of my foods, but as a diabetic, well, I thought going no beef was better for my body.

But I've been doing the research and because I am no longer taking any medication for diabetes and doing it strictly by diet alone, well I want to add more protein to my diet. And not from soy, or from protein powder.

So I went online and did a lot of research and I remembered that years ago I had tried Bison.

So Melody went online and looked up Bison and read this and that and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did the research because I would have bought the ground bison but it said to get the steaks. It said that ground bison had more fat that the steak medallions.

Well!!! how right they were.

Today I went to Waldbaums and spoke to the meat guys who directed me to the Bison Department. And there they were, medallions of bison and ground bison. I compared the two. The ground had 11 grams of fat and the steaks had 2.5. AND 37 GRAMS OF PROTEIN!!! I said "whooo whoo"

And it had no hormones nor did it have antibiotics. And I'm going to buy the Grass Fed Bison. Supposed to be better than grain fed. Doing research on that too.

So I brought them home and at summer I took a pan, sprayed some olive oil no stick stuff that I used, add some chipotle seasoning to the steak and the smell in my kitchen was out of heaven. I hadn't smelled this kind of smell in 10 years.

I made my vegetables on the side, and started eating. You should have seen the expression on my face when I tasted the bison. It was like a religious experience. I think I yelled out loud "OH MY GOD, THIS IS GOOD".

Then, after I was done, (I actually did this), it was like a scene out of a caveman movie. I walked over to Alan and said "I have eaten meat, I shall build a fire), kind of like the scene in Castaway when Tom Hanks builds a fire.

My husband thought I was nuts, but when we went shopping at our nearby grocery store, where I know everybody I had them rolling in the aisles. I also asked them to stock up on Bison meat but they said "oh no, it's too expensive for us to sell".

So I paid $9.95 at Waldbaums for 2 Bison steaks. To me, this is not bad.

Of course I'm not having this every day. But I will eat this maybe 2 to 3 times a week, with chicken and fish to fill in the middle.

Maybe a tofu meal once in a while too. I love Tofu. But the protein in Bison is really good for my body. I felt amazing as I went out for a walk with Alan.

I can't get him to go near any meat though. He's a veggie person. He said "What did the Bison do to me?, why should I eat him?"

Anyway, I am on my way to a leaner body. Time will tell.

lol

Melody
(she eats meat, she will build a fire). lol lol lol

DesertFlower 12-01-2010 12:53 AM

Hello!

I recently realized this forum was here...I've been hanging out in the MG forum for over a year now. Nutrition plays a big part in reducing my MG symptoms.

I have stopped eating processed foods and eat as much organic as I can...huge difference in the way I feel. Making lots of soups, found this is a good way to put in greens and other vegetables I don't normally eat and the soup tastes great.

Bison is great, I wish it weren't so expensive. I love to eat wild game meat such as deer and elk, but can't go hunting now so that is not an option. I don't eat beef but eat other meats occasionally.

I am working on expanding my garden.

This year I grew squash and have been making homemade squash pies (taste like pumpkin pies).

I look forward to reading more in this forum.

MelodyL 12-01-2010 10:59 AM

Hi.
your soups sound divine. And you put in your greens? Sounds scrumptious.

Mind if I make a slight suggestion the next time you want to eat organic, healthy and NUTRITIOUS??

Don't cook the greens, wash carefully, and eat raw.

If you can, I mean.

I grow sprouts and that's supposedly the healthiest food on the planet. The thing that makes them healthy is that when you eat them raw (these are baby plants before they are planted in the ground and then they start to LOSE the nutrition), the health benefits of raw broccoli sprouts is through the roof. Google them.

When you eat a salad made with raw items, the enzymes in these items go into our bodies, and well, they affect every cell in our body.

We are eating LIVE food, not something cooked (which destroys most of the nutrition if you heat it over 105 degrees), That's why boiling food might make it taste good but does nothing nutritionally for us.

Light steaming is just fine.

Me? I have 3 salads a day and I grab a handful of sprouts and walk to my local breakfast cafe and dump them on my breakfast sandwich. Been doing this for years.

Best thing I ever did for my body. I haven't met one sprouter who is sorry that they eat this way.

It's not for everybody, I know this. If a person is used to eating a certain way at a certain age, they are not about to go and change.

I did, but I'm different. My mind changed.

So anytime you want to learn about raw foods, sprouting, whatever (maybe you have already???), just go and view my videos online on youtube.

My user id is eliz7212

I'm all over the place on youtube.

lol

Melody

Dejibo 03-20-2011 04:28 PM

i choose organic as often as possible. We tend to grow our own veggies here, and I get meat/eggs and so forth from the farm next door. They make their own butter, and yogurt and stuff there too. yes, it can be more money, but I have chosen to remove so many chemicals from my diet. No more HFCS or MSG or guar gum and artificial flavors. We use alot of honey, and or maple syrup for baking as maple syrup is plentiful around here as is local honey. I will use beet sugar or cane sugar, but avoid at all cost artificial sweetners.

now when I go out, or eat at a friends house I am amazed at the difference. My raw eggs are a deep yellow with rich color. Their store bought eggs are pale, light blush yellow. I get double yolks constantly here. The flavor is amazing. I grow my own herbs and dry them or use fresh.

As for the cost, I guess its less expensive than the pharmacy, but it really makes you think. I see some of the pale chickens in the grocery store and I wonder what they fed them. I know the chickens personally that land on our table. I know who feeds them, and what their diet is. Same for the cows. I rarely eat pork, but when i do, I know which pig it was from. it took a while to get used to this type of living, but now that I am here, I wouldnt go back.

Kitty 03-20-2011 05:43 PM

I'm trying to eat as "clean" as I can afford to. Organic is definitely more expensive and lots of the fresh fruits and veggies I eat are not organic. I eat very little meat but what I do eat is organic and has no hormones or antibiotics. I prefer to eat more rice, beans, fruit, veggies and whole grain bread. I really can do without the meat but do eat it every once in a while. All the canned goods I buy are from Publix and their "Greenwise" organic brand. I also get organic eggs from Publix but they are pricey. Schwan's doesn't have organic but they do have the LiveSmart brand and I get some of those items.

What I miss the most is ice cream and popsicles. I can't handle the HFCS or the milk in those items so I just skip them altogether.

The only thing I drink is filtered water. I do drink coffee but use Stevia to sweeten it and organic half and half for creamer.

Heck, even my cats are in on the act and eat organic cat food (Newman's Own). They deserve to eat healthy, too. :o

I do feel much better since cleaning up my food choices and that along with a good vitamin program has helped me tremendously.

Dejibo 03-20-2011 07:39 PM

you can make your own ice cream! thats really easy.

Kitty 03-20-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejibo (Post 754776)
you can make your own ice cream! thats really easy.

Without milk and sugar???

Annie59 03-20-2011 11:02 PM

I eat organic as much as possible tho the place that has the best is 45mn away and I can nolonger drive due to changes in my eyes. I am like the canary in the mine at this point. Like I can tell you that EarthBound Orangics are not as clean as others. I avoid them as I do consistantly react to the potatoes, bananas and Kiwis and more. I was eating these GREAT kiwis from New Zealand and found them to be a real super food as far as helping me heal. Then the store switched to Earthbound. I eat them and I get hyper, and dont sleep normally.

In other areas I was just thinking how lucky I am to have found such an effective deodorant that is so safe and free of chemicals. I use 'Toms of Maine Long Lasting' Deodorant. It is the only one I have ever tried that really dealt with odor and was so so safe. I also use SUDZ brand sports soap as it does well in this area too.

Annie59

Dejibo 03-21-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 754823)
Without milk and sugar???

Yep! you sure can! you can use soy/almond or rice milk and the Ninja blender. Dump in frozen fruit, and the milk and zooom! in a few seconds you have soft serve ice cream!

http://www.amazon.com/Euro-Pro-Ninja...0711328&sr=1-1

The blue one fell really fast in price when the black one hit the market. I have the blue one and it does a great job! Enjoy!

mrsD 03-21-2011 07:51 AM

You can make frozen yogurt, and frozen fruit pops. My son does that. If you need sweetening use the stevia.

Dejibo 03-21-2011 12:14 PM

I found that the fruit or adding some fruit juice with it, adds enough sweetness that no sugar is needed. its amazing! yummy! adding yogurt can be a real booster, but be careful if you are avoiding milk products. Can you use goat milk and make your own yogurt? its higher fat, but its yummy too.

WalkByFaith9790 03-21-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 699572)
Does anyone here try to eat strictly organic?

I've been trying and it's not easy. Unless, of course, you shop at Whole Foods each week but that can get expensive.

I'm doing the best I can and so far I've completely stopped eating processed foods. It's taken a while to get used to but boy can I feel the difference (a positive difference).

Seems like I go to the grocery more often but that's because I buy all fresh foods and those only last a few days.

I'm making my own bread using all organic ingredients. I'm eating more raw veggies (no dip!). Meat has become a once-in-a-great-while thing for me. And I don't miss it. Black beans, organic whole grain pasta and organic eggs are now a staple.

What are the others here doing? I'd be interested to know some of your secrets to healthier eating.

The only thing I'm having organic now is my ACV only because it helps my eczema A LOT. The ACV is only about 5 dollars plus S&H. So a total of about 10 dollars. But it's worth it. Plus, it lasts pretty long. I would love to eat everything organic, but its just too expensive.

wishnomore 05-25-2011 01:31 PM

Oh I love this thread :) Just discovered it.

I don't eat everything organic because it is too expensive for me, so I choose the most important things, in my opinion. Always cage-free, organic eggs & always organic or soy milk.

And then I never, ever buy "white" or bleached products, so no white bread, white pasta, white rice, etc. Always whole grain or wheat.

I also don't buy meat, since I am vegetarian. So that isn't a concern, otherwise, I'd definitely get organic of that too.

Speaking of organic too, do any of you use organic beauty products? What goes on your body can be just as harmful as what goes in. I am trying to switch too but also its more expensive. For now, I use organic eye makeup remover and night cream - so far.

Like I said, love this thread. It's so silly how we have to pay MORE to have LESS stuff done to our food.

Kitty 05-25-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wishnomore (Post 773641)
I don't eat everything organic because it is too expensive for me, so I choose the most important things, in my opinion. Always cage-free, organic eggs & always organic or soy milk.

And then I never, ever buy "white" or bleached products, so no white bread, white pasta, white rice, etc. Always whole grain or wheat.

Me, too! I still eat some meat....occasionally......but not near as much as I used to. That is one thing I could easily give up. When I do buy it I buy the organic, hormone and antibiotic free kind. Yes, it's expensive!

The local Farmer's Market opens here on 6/4 and I cannot wait to go! They have grass-fed, organic beef and organic seasonal veggies and fruit. Free range eggs and organic milk, butter and yogurt. There's just no comparison in taste to the supermarket produce.

I've found that since I've begun eating healthier I eat less....but better.

MelodyL 05-25-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wishnomore (Post 773641)
Oh I love this thread :) Just discovered it.

I also don't buy meat, since I am vegetarian. So that isn't a concern, otherwise, I'd definitely get organic of that too.

Speaking of organic too, do any of you use organic beauty products? What goes on your body can be just as harmful as what goes in. I am trying to switch too but also its more expensive. For now, I use organic eye makeup remover and night cream - so far.

Like I said, love this thread. It's so silly how we have to pay MORE to have LESS stuff done to our food.

I want ALL of you to go to google, and type in MEAT GLUE.

Then watch the video and come back here and post comments.

I can't wait.

lol

Kitty 05-26-2011 12:33 AM

Ick! That is disgusting! Another reason that, if you're going to eat meat, you should buy it organic and locally farmed.

Lara 05-26-2011 06:43 AM

Melody, I saw a show here on tv about the 'meat glue'. It's shocking!
Made me feel ill to say the least.

I'd so love to buy only organics. Can't afford to buy much of those here lately but I always buy organic chicken. Edit: also only buy organic free range eggs. Refuse to eat other types of eggs or chicken. Can't afford the rest anymore, sadly.

We do have wonderful farmer's markets in my area here but because of the weather and floods and all the rest, it's been difficult to buy anything very much at the old prices. Plus it's difficult for me to get out of the house sometimes to actualy buy them.

When my state has cyclones/hurricanes that wipe out the crops, I make the decision to do without rather than buy from overseas markets. No bananas. Limited tomatoes. Paying massive prices just for regular vegetables here right now. Lots of the produce that is available isn't very good quality yet. I guess it'll take another six months for it all to get back to balance and then it'll be summer almost and that's cyclone season and it'll all happen again. lol :rolleyes:

I grow some herbs and tomatoes in my very small garden but I wish I had some acres again to grow what I wanted.

Wish, yes, I am very careful when buying cosmetic products. It's trial and error though with those sometimes. The ones that are affordable can be a little too heavy for my skin sometimes.

P.S.

Rockmelon and Kiwifruit Iceblocks

Ingredients

ice block moulds

chopped rockmelon/cantelope (or whatever you prefer)
kiwifruit (mashed or sliced) (or whatever you prefer)
Orange and/or apple juice (could add cranberry or mango juice or apricot... gosh it's endless choices)

Put fruit in mould. Fill up the rest of the ice block mould with juice. If you’re doing two-tone blocks, fill 1/3 with one type of fruit, add juice and freeze. Will take approximately four hours to freeze. When frozen add the second fruit, fill to top with juice and freeze again.

Amounts will vary depending on size of moulds

MelodyL 05-26-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 773829)
Melody, I saw a show here on tv about the 'meat glue'. It's shocking!
Made me feel ill to say the least.

I'd so love to buy only organics. Can't afford to buy much of those here lately but I always buy organic chicken. Edit: also only buy organic free range eggs. Refuse to eat other types of eggs or chicken. Can't afford the rest anymore, sadly.

We do have wonderful farmer's markets in my area here but because of the weather and floods and all the rest, it's been difficult to buy anything very much at the old prices. Plus it's difficult for me to get out of the house sometimes to actualy buy them.

When my state has cyclones/hurricanes that wipe out the crops, I make the decision to do without rather than buy from overseas markets. No bananas. Limited tomatoes. Paying massive prices just for regular vegetables here right now. Lots of the produce that is available isn't very good quality yet. I guess it'll take another six months for it all to get back to balance and then it'll be summer almost and that's cyclone season and it'll all happen again. lol :rolleyes:

I grow some herbs and tomatoes in my very small garden but I wish I had some acres again to grow what I wanted.

Wish, yes, I am very careful when buying cosmetic products. It's trial and error though with those sometimes. The ones that are affordable can be a little too heavy for my skin sometimes.

P.S.

Rockmelon and Kiwifruit Iceblocks

Ingredients

ice block moulds

chopped rockmelon/cantelope (or whatever you prefer)
kiwifruit (mashed or sliced) (or whatever you prefer)
Orange and/or apple juice (could add cranberry or mango juice or apricot... gosh it's endless choices)

Put fruit in mould. Fill up the rest of the ice block mould with juice. If you’re doing two-tone blocks, fill 1/3 with one type of fruit, add juice and freeze. Will take approximately four hours to freeze. When frozen add the second fruit, fill to top with juice and freeze again.

Amounts will vary depending on size of moulds

Ooh, sounds good.

By the way, have you seen my sprouting videos.

BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE. I don't have to worry about pesticides, e-coli or anything. I just grow what I eat in the comfort of my kitchen. You know about growing food because you do the same. Isn't it cool??

lol

Lara 05-28-2011 04:15 AM

Ahhhh, you're an amazing woman Melody!

Thanks for posting those.

Very cool indeed! :D

Tell me though...

I clicked on "date added" and it comes up with "Lovely Green Sprouts" as the first one you made. Is that correct? If so then I'll go watch them all in order as I find time.

MelodyL 05-28-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 774334)
Ahhhh, you're an amazing woman Melody!

Thanks for posting those.

Very cool indeed! :D

Tell me though...

I clicked on "date added" and it comes up with "Lovely Green Sprouts" as the first one you made. Is that correct? If so then I'll go watch them all in order as I find time.

Oh I have no idea which ones I made first. I used to use mason jars to grow them but that was before I KNEW BETTER.

Since I have purchased the Sprout Garden, well, that's it for me.

Best thing I ever did.

If you go to my youtube channel, there is a big image right at the front of the page. It shows the sprouting shelves I built and the greening up swing lamp that I attached so they can green up (they make clorophyll). Start with that one, and then go to the right and all my videos are up there (along with some of Alan that I made that will have you fall off of your seat), especially the one I made about windowfarming.

Windowfarming is something that people who live in apartment buildings do so they can grow their own organic produce on their WINDOWS. Not the windowsills, but the WINDOWS. I pulled a prank on Alan and I made him sit at the computer and watch a youtube video on Windowfarming and I let him think I was going to do that.

Well!!!! watch the video and you'll laugh your head off.

Let me tell you, since I have begun eating this way, I go to the bathroom EVERY SINGLE DAY the way Dr. Oz tells us we are supposed to go to the bathroom.

It really does a body good. Fun, CHEAP and oh so nutritious.

I mean, who wants to eat junk and then 5 years from now when our bodies fall apart and then we say to ourselves "Oh, why didn't I listen"

Believe me, I listened, I applied and now I'm better for it.

And so is my diabetes, my clothes fit better, and I try and not sweat the small stuff.

And yesterday I built an air conditioning system for my sprouts.

Are you on Facebook? I am. Look for Sproutlady Melody and friend me. I have lots of my videos (along with others) up there. I just post them. Lots of my sprouting friends are on Facebook.

We touch base from time to time and we really do learn from each other.

You have to see how I keep my sprouts cool.

I don't have air conditioning in my house so it's crucial to keep them cool during the hot days. And I just discovered this new thing that you dip in water and it puffs up and you put it around your neck.

It's called a cool collar, it's CHEAP, and it works.

I got it at www.coolcollars.net

I just uploaded a video of it on my facebook page.

I mean, what will they think of next??

lol

Dejibo 05-28-2011 12:54 PM

I did refuse to watch the "meat glue" because #1 it would only upset me #2 I dont eat meat from the super markets. I eat fresh locally grown meat. My next cow is named Chuck. I pet them and know the owners personally. I know who their favorite dog is, which goat they like to hang out with, and I can drive by and pat on them everyday till slaughter time. Same for the chickens. I know each of them. I eat their eggs everyday. I drink milk from the farm (do you know how much pus is allowed in commercial milk?!" and am fussy about eating like my grandparents used to. If its wrapped in plastic its not in my freezer. Well, we do use a food saver system.

I think most slaughter houses are cruel, and they could learn many lessons from the Temple Grandin systems. I never forget that it was a live animal that died so that I could live. My neighbor has a fit that the farm next door slaughters their animals, but yet he has no problem with his leather seats, leather shoes, and the mcburger he ate for lunch. As long as he never knows where it came from, he thinks he is safe. The urine scalded chickens of chicken farms is enough to make you turn vegan.

Thanks for what you put up there for the yogurt. I may just try it.

Kitty 05-28-2011 02:17 PM

Our local Farmer's Market opens next weekend! :Excited:

This year they're advertising grass-fed beef and free range chicken from two local farms in our county. These farms also encourage folks to come by and see just how the animals are raised and treated.

I don't think I could "get to know" the animal before I ate it......I'd feel too guilty......but I will go in with several people and purchase a portion of one cow. I probably eat meat and chicken two to three times a week - less in the summer - so I tend to purchase less than most.

The cage-free eggs and local fresh milk is worth the drive and extra cost. I've been buying these items at Publix (their GreenWise brand) but I'm anxious to give my money to locally owned farms.

Lara 05-30-2011 06:33 AM

OMG.

I don't think I can ever eat meat again.

I just watched a show on our Four Corners here in Australia and I'm quite traumatized.

Ban Live Export

MelodyL 05-30-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 774851)
OMG.

I don't think I can ever eat meat again.

I just watched a show on our Four Corners here in Australia and I'm quite traumatized.

Ban Live Export

I realize that most young people today think that their meat comes already wrapped in plastic and their moms go to the supermarket, buy it, and bring it home, and then cook it, but I knew where my meat came from. I knew that meat comes from slaughterhouses.

But I NEVER knew that they have been gluing pieces of meat, and chicken together. No no no, NEVER KNEW THAT.

It completely changes the way I now look at meat.

Melody

Kitty 05-31-2011 04:48 AM

This is a handy website filled with good information.

It's difficult to be able to eat all organic and have any money left for anything else.....:rolleyes:.....but I try to eat organic the things I ingest most often. GMO is another thing to watch out for:

http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/

Dejibo 05-31-2011 08:15 AM

thanks I downloaded it to my iphone.

Kitty 05-31-2011 08:23 AM

My shopping trips are r-e-a-l-l-y l-o-n-g now!! Trying to read all the packages....make sure it's non GMO.....organic. :eek: But I'm getting better at it. It's definitely given me an education in better, cleaner eating. It's worth the extra effort.

I've tried the Amy's Organic brand and most of it's pretty good. I do try to make most everything myself, though. I really have no excuse not to.....I mean, I have the time. :rolleyes:

Kitty 06-01-2011 10:49 AM

Tonight I'm planning to do some cooking so I can freeze things in serving size containers.

I'm waiting till tonight because it's so hot here today (upper 90's) and I don't want to heat up the kitchen.

I'm planning to cook brown rice and black beans. The brown rice I always refrigerate before freezing. Makes it easier to handle and portion out.

I'm soaking my beans today and will cook them tonight. I used to just buy the organic canned black beans but read that the inside of the can contains some fort of chemical that isn't good for us. :rolleyes: There's always something, it seems.

This weekend I'm going to buy organic tomatoes so I can make my own tomato sauce.

Does anyone else here cook and freeze items for later use? It seems like alot of work initially but it is so nice to just be able to pull things from the freezer and know exactly what's in them (and what's not!).

MelodyL 06-01-2011 10:54 AM

Hi, I cook and freeze things (especially turkey meatballs) all the time in the colder weather, but with the 90's here in Brooklyn, NY, I'm not cooking anything in my kitchen.

I just eat my sprout salads with some grilled chicken (I know a place where I can buy a piece of organic grilled chicken and I use half at each meal). It's just too hot to cook right now.

But about those cans. ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

Want to know what kind of tuna I now use?

WILD PLANET TUNA.

It has a safe can, and the tuna has less mercury and I found a great sale at Shoprite where I got it for $2.99 a can.

Now that might sound like a lot for a can of tuna, but it's from a very reputable company, and it tastes wonderful and one can can make two meals so it's not expensive.

Look up their website

http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/

You'll love the information.

melody

Kitty 06-01-2011 11:27 AM

Thanks for that website, Melody! The Publix I shop at doesn't carry that brand but there is a Kroger not too far from me that does.

I don't eat alot of tuna for the very reason of mercury and PBA cans. I will definitely try this tuna.

MelodyL 06-01-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 775415)
Thanks for that website, Melody! The Publix I shop at doesn't carry that brand but there is a Kroger not too far from me that does.

I don't eat alot of tuna for the very reason of mercury and PBA cans. I will definitely try this tuna.

And the beauty of this tuna is that unlike regular tuna which is packed in oil or water so when you drain it, the weight is reduced, this can of tuna is ALL TUNA.

It really is worth the extra buck or two. I don't use any other kind of tuna. They have all kinds in my local Shoprite. The Solid White is $4.99 and who on earth wants to pay that for a can of tuna? Not me.

so I bought the Sustainably caught, Wild Skipjack Light Tuna for $2.99 a can. Got lots of cans in this house.

Great source of protein and it feels good knowing what's going in my body.

Melody

Kitty 06-04-2011 12:18 PM

I just made a vegetarian "stir-fry" type thing. I got some beautiful veggies at the Farmer's Market. Fresh kale, summer squash and green beans. Chopped up a vidalia onion and the squash, blanched the green beans and kale then cut them up and added to the squash/onion mixture. A little Mrs. Dash, some pepper, a tablespoon of organic butter and sauteed it all till the onion was transparent. YUM!

SallyC 06-05-2011 02:11 PM

Is there such a thing as Organic Choc Chip Cookies? :p

SallyC 06-05-2011 02:20 PM

I found this, lol....

Organic sea salt Chocolate Chip Cookies..

Things you need:
A good mixer: can’t explain it but it just goes better this way.
Unbleached, all natural parchment paper (Whole Foods has this in their baking aisle)
Pizza stone – I’ve baked on both aluminum baking sheets and a stone – their is no comparison.
Preheat oven375 degrees
Ingredients:
Add the next five ingredients to the mixer and cream on low
2 sticks (1 cup) Kate’s Homemade Sea Salted butter
1/2 c. dark brown organic brown sugar packed tight
1/4 c. light brown organic brown sugar packed tight
3/4 c. organic cane sugar
1 1/2 tsp free trade REAL vanilla
Add 2 organic brown eggs, 1 at a time until fully mixed
In a separate bowl, add 2 1/4 plus 1 tbsp of organic unbleached flour (you can substitute 1 c. wheat flour if you choose, the flavor changes beyond that)
3/4 tsp baking soda plus 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp sea salt coarsely crushed in a salt mortar
Sift the ingredients together and then add to creamed mixture with mixer running at low in 1/2 c. increments until fully creamed and super tasty.
Add 18 oz of organic dark chocolate chips to mixer and beat gently
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls to stone and bake for ten minutes. Leave on stone to cool for 2 minutes before moving to wire racks.

Kitty 06-05-2011 02:29 PM

Let us know how they turn out, Sally! Sounds yummy! ;)

MelodyL 06-05-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 776523)
Let us know how they turn out, Sally! Sounds yummy! ;)

I don't know if any of you heard what is happening in Germany but they had some kind of BAD e-coli outbreak with various sprouts, from an organic farm. Bean sprouts, broccoli sprouts, etc.

I grow my own sprouts, I don't buy anything packaged.

They are not sure how this happened.

Thank god I don't get anything from Germany.

Melody

Kitty 06-06-2011 05:07 AM

I did hear about this, Melody, and I immediately thought of you! I'm glad you don't have to worry about this. It sounds terrible. :eek:

MelodyL 06-06-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 776680)
I did hear about this, Melody, and I immediately thought of you! I'm glad you don't have to worry about this. It sounds terrible. :eek:

And guess what. Germany has now reversed itself.

Read this.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe...europe.e.coli/

Do you know how much damage was done by releasing a report blaming sprouts, then they announced "Don't eat any sprouts or vegetables until further notice"

Can you imagine the loss of revenue suffered by these organic farmers.

People believe what they are told by the government.

There is no e-coli in sprouts when they are grown. It's after they leave the farms, and they are mis-handled, and especially the sprouts that you find in salad buffets. THOSE ARE THE ONES we have to worry about.

Not the home-grown ones.

Oh my god, this morning as I was walking to breakfast someone shouted out of a car "Hey Sproutlady, do you know your sprouts killed people in Germany".

I had to set them straight because they really didn't know what they were talking about.

Once I explained the difference between store bought and restaurant bought sprouts and what I grow, they said "Oh, I get it'.

It's all the misinformation out there.

Really scary.

Dejibo 06-06-2011 11:32 AM

I think it will be ground water that contaminated some tomatoes, and they ended up in circulation. My best bet is Spain. or Cucumbers with the same deal. its a heavy water vegetable and common on salads, so they drink the contaminated ground water, grow with it INside the vege and even if you wash in bleach water, its on the INSIDE.

I am glad they cleared that farm in Germany. Scary stuff. Most organic places work very hard to be clean, and are cautious with how they treat their food.