NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   New from East TX (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/134630-east-tx.html)

dimples1945 10-07-2010 03:08 PM

New from East TX

My name is Gaylyn and I live in east TX...

I found this website in the middle of the night...just as I was about to scream!
Scream from the pain of neuropathy and nerve root pain (radiculopathy). If you have this you know exactly what I am talking about! I had spinal fusion (L3-S1) in 2007 and as a result (so I have been told) of something gone awry, have this almost unbearable electric type shooting pain, burning, crawling sensation (that makes me want to climb the walls) as well as other discomforts in my left foot.

I have also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Degenerative Disc Disease, Spinal Stenosis, small strokes (that affect short term memory), hypertension (Essential), Arthritis, and several other aliments.

I believe this will be my saviour especially when I can't sleep! So happy I found NeuroTalk. Looking forward to meeting you.

dahlek 10-07-2010 07:02 PM

Gaylin? Know the pain, as do many others....

Please check out the 'Peripheral Neuropathy' Forum:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum20.html
Just click on the blue... but before you dive in? Please read the 'stickies' at the top of the forum and a couple to few pages of posts...just so you know where folks are either coming from or going to?
When I'd first had my onset? It went from fingertips and toes to legs and arms. At a fast rate-scary enuf at first? Scarier later on when docs scratch their heads and go: 'Just PN', nothing to be done. In my own case it was an auto-immune reaction started by a bout of pneumonia a few months earlier.
I did not accept the 'nothing to be done', outlook? And went and got second and third plus opinions. I got diagnosed, I was lucky that I fought and followed my instincts.
I DO know your pain! As do soo many others here! But think things out and take 'facts' only from the most reliable of research sources! I cannot underscore this to any degree? Docs once you find the 'good ones'? Will respect you for your efforts to get help and NOT drugs, just good treatments that are with true RESPECT.
I could also say? Rite about now, you just want to SLEEP! And not HURT! I wish that to be so? BUT you are gonna have to get on those doc appt lists and soon! The sooner the better and that can be from 1 week [for filling in a cancellation] to 3 months! Just know? Once you get in the door? YOU ARE IN the door!
Ignore the 'facts' that espouse non academic or NIH or University related researches... They may work for some? But not for 97% of those who try them...and spend heaps of $$ to do so. Your docs to be will be more impressed that you've checked out many reliable sources here in the 'stickies' but...it wouldn't help that you got HELP and DIAGNOSIS here? You just got the tools YOU NEED to know where to go and what to do...
My heart is with you, this pain can be brain-crazy scary at times! And rightfully so. Respect it all and get respected HELP!
Let me & all of us know how you are doing... get on the phone tomorrow?
And expect to be frustrated at first. You'd be surprised? Luck often intervenes and it can do for you what it has done for me! :hug::hug:!'s - j

Darlene 10-08-2010 11:27 PM

Great to have you with us!!

Hello and welcome to NeuroTalk. Happy to see you have come to be with us. There are a large number of members here to be of any help.

As you can tell there are great number of fellow members here to assist as possible. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around.

Darlene :hug:

Leesa 10-09-2010 03:53 PM

Hi Dimples and WELCOME ~ You've come to the right place.

Perhaps you'll get more responses on the Spinal Disorders forum here. If you scroll down on the list of forums, you'll find it.

I know what you're going thru. I've been a "spiney" for the last 25 years, and have had those same symptoms. It's awful and very painful. Do your docs have you on any medications for that?? Currently, I'm taking Topamax for that kind of nerve pain. I'm on 400mg per day and it keeps it pretty much under control. I no longer have the burning/stinging/zapping/feeling of water running down my legs like I used to have. thank God!! It's hard to sleep or even cope when it's like that! :eek:

If you aren't on any meds for it, talk with your doc and tell him you need something for nerve pain ~ for the neuropathy. You shouldn't have to suffer like this.

As I said, join us on Spinal Disorders ~ God bless and best of luck! Hugs, Lee

NurseNancy 10-10-2010 02:32 PM

hi gaylyn and welcome to NT,

i'm glad you found us. the forum is full of great friendly people who can share lots of info and offer tons of support.