NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Double vision question (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/134822-double-vision-question.html)

pingpongman 10-11-2010 04:19 AM

Double vision question

I have a question for you old-timers. I am new at this and I have been on Pred now my vision seems to be gradually coming back. I guess my question is does it return all the sudden or gradually.

It is 4:30 AM and I'm up. Since I have been Pred I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping. I know I need the rest but nothing works. I have 6 more days to go and I may be off Pred.
Mike

redtail 10-11-2010 06:02 AM

Hi Mike,

Yep I had trouble sleeping on pred also had dreadful night sweats.

My double vision came on usually suddenly, well I guess there were certain things that could have altered me, ie wierd eyes twitches droopy eyelids, then double vision. It usually happened when I was doing something that required lots of concentration by my eyes, watchin tv or driving etc.

With the lack of sleeping I find a afternoon nap or snooze helps me.
Kate

pingpongman 10-11-2010 06:33 AM

Thanks mine started as double vision then droopy eye. Has your double vision been cleared up? If so did it clear up slowly? My eyes are cock-eyed and the left one twitches. The right eye lid droops real bad when I'm tired.

Night sweats are horrible. My wife has to change sheets every morning and I am about to ruin our couch. But heck that is the least of our troubles.
Thank You,
Mike
This chat board really helps me. I'm so new to this. I learn something here everyday!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by redtail (Post 703380)
Hi Mike,

Yep I had trouble sleeping on pred also had dreadful night sweats.

My double vision came on usually suddenly, well I guess there were certain things that could have altered me, ie wierd eyes twitches droopy eyelids, then double vision. It usually happened when I was doing something that required lots of concentration by my eyes, watchin tv or driving etc.

With the lack of sleeping I find a afternoon nap or snooze helps me.
Kate

redtail 10-11-2010 06:52 AM

Yep my double vision cleared up rather quickly, with the help of pred and mestinon. It rears its ugly head if I am very sick and run down. I havn't had any for about 2 years, thankfully, as soon as I get it my neuro ups my pred..... My right eye droops to, and my Mum and Sister always can see how bad I am just by looking at my face :-)

I've started using a cotton mattress protector hopefully to stop some of the sweat reaching the mattress.......

Yes I love this place, for the support and being able to help out people, I also learn new things still even after nearly 8 years!!!
Kate

pingpongman 10-11-2010 07:11 AM

OH thanks! That's the same meds I'm on except I take Neostignine also. Now that really gives me hope. If I can get the double vision to clear I think I can cope with the rest.
God I love this place!
Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by redtail (Post 703389)
Yep my double vision cleared up rather quickly, with the help of pred and mestinon. It rears its ugly head if I am very sick and run down. I havn't had any for about 2 years, thankfully, as soon as I get it my neuro ups my pred..... My right eye droops to, and my Mum and Sister always can see how bad I am just by looking at my face :-)

I've started using a cotton mattress protector hopefully to stop some of the sweat reaching the mattress.......

Yes I love this place, for the support and being able to help out people, I also learn new things still even after nearly 8 years!!!
Kate

redtail 10-11-2010 07:25 AM

I also take mycophenolate, or cellcept. I'm down to 15mg of pred on alternate days.....my neuro says I might never get off it......I really hope one day I do

catie 10-11-2010 01:32 PM

Mike,
I'm not an old-timer so probably can't help you much with this question. I'm so pleased to hear that you're starting to see some positive changes in your vision. I'm keeping my fingers crossed the same happens for me!

I've experienced the insomnia from prednisone, but my first couple of weeks were probably the worse.
Cate
Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpongman (Post 703362)
I have a question for you old-timers. I am new at this and I have been on Pred now my vision seems to be gradually coming back. I guess my question is does it return all the sudden or gradually.

It is 4:30 AM and I'm up. Since I have been Pred I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping. I know I need the rest but nothing works. I have 6 more days to go and I may be off Pred.
Mike

Annie59 10-11-2010 02:22 PM

Mike, My internist at the teaching hosp I am treated at suggested Melatonin. She said use the lowest dose as she knows I am sensitive to medicines. Maybe even half a pill first. She is a well regarded internist with a speciality in alternative medcine. I am lucky to have her. I use acupuncture regularly even before I saw her and am glad I can talk to her about it. It helps stress and sleep and pain and even get a boost with my breathing the day of. One of the first things she showed me were the 2 acupuncture points points about 3 inches above the nipple that she has taught her daughter to use when her asthma kicks in. These points open the chest up. It gives me a sense of control to some degree with tools like this I can use. Of course this is me and I am not a medcial person.

I am aware that there has been some press about melatonin not being recommended for those with autoimmune disease. I sure would check with one of your docs. My doc gave me a list of melatonin that is considered safe and tested. One that I bought is the GNC brand which is on the list. It is true one cant be sure unless you look into it what could be some supplements.
Annie59

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingpongman (Post 703362)

Mike

pingpongman 10-11-2010 02:52 PM

Thanks I'll check imto Melatonin. Whew just had nice 1 hour nap!
Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie59 (Post 703529)
Mike, My internist at the teaching hosp I am treated at suggested Melatonin. She said use the lowest dose as she knows I am sensitive to medicines. Maybe even half a pill first. She is a well regarded internist with a speciality in alternative medcine. I am lucky to have her. I use acupuncture regularly even before I saw her and am glad I can talk to her about it. It helps stress and sleep and pain and even get a boost with my breathing the day of. One of the first things she showed me were the 2 acupuncture points points about 3 inches above the nipple that she has taught her daughter to use when her asthma kicks in. These points open the chest up. It gives me a sense of control to some degree with tools like this I can use. Of course this is me and I am not a medcial person.

I am aware that there has been some press about melatonin not being recommended for those with autoimmune disease. I sure would check with one of your docs. My doc gave me a list of melatonin that is considered safe and tested. One that I bought is the GNC brand which is on the list. It is true one cant be sure unless you look into it what could be some supplements.
Annie59