NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Chronic sinus issues following extracted teeth with roots in sinus (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/135098-chronic-sinus-issues-following-extracted-teeth-roots-sinus.html)

pandagirl66 10-13-2010 06:31 PM

Chronic sinus issues following extracted teeth with roots in sinus

Hi, I have read several articles and responses from people that have had a similar issue but I need more information. I have an ongoing issue with my sinuses following several tooth extractions with roots in my sinus cavity. Each time I have had to have a tooth pulled it has left a hole in my sinus, which with the exception of the first one has been repaired on the spot. Can this continued issue cause sinus issues? I am constantly in pain and feel congested. When I eat my upper jaw and cheeks feel like they are in a vise. when I lay down I feel like I am so stuffed that I can't breathe. My family doctor has put me on a nasal spray but I am still in a lot of pain. Please if anyone has any information or can suggest anything to help please let me know.
Thanks

Bryanna 10-14-2010 07:25 PM

Hi pandagirl,

Yes, you can develop chronic sinus issues from tooth related problems. Sinus perforations from extracted teeth that have not healed closed completely can have a variety of symptoms similar to what you have described. The condition becomes a vicious cycle of pain and pressure from the chronic inflammation and often infection.

What type of dentistry have you had done to replace those extracted teeth...... bridges?... removable partial denture?... dental implants?
Did any of your extracted teeth have root canal treatment and/or apicoectomy surgery? Do you currently have any upper teeth that have been root canaled? How is the health of your existing upper teeth and gums?

Did you consult with an ear, nose and throat doctor? What nasal spray are you using?

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by pandagirl66 (Post 704318)
Hi, I have read several articles and responses from people that have had a similar issue but I need more information. I have an ongoing issue with my sinuses following several tooth extractions with roots in my sinus cavity. Each time I have had to have a tooth pulled it has left a hole in my sinus, which with the exception of the first one has been repaired on the spot. Can this continued issue cause sinus issues? I am constantly in pain and feel congested. When I eat my upper jaw and cheeks feel like they are in a vise. when I lay down I feel like I am so stuffed that I can't breathe. My family doctor has put me on a nasal spray but I am still in a lot of pain. Please if anyone has any information or can suggest anything to help please let me know.
Thanks

anna_rdh 11-25-2010 03:10 AM

Did they suggest any bone graft procedure? As far as i know it is the only way to stimulate re-calcification of the bone.

Bryanna 11-26-2010 07:19 PM

Just a side note........ Bone graft material is generally not placed in an extraction site with a sinus perforation. Depending on the size and location of the sinus perf, it would have to be repaired and/or allowed to heal first... then a second surgery is done to place the graft.

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by anna_rdh (Post 719619)
Did they suggest any bone graft procedure? As far as i know it is the only way to stimulate re-calcification of the bone.