NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   I love Boobies - bracelets (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/135289-love-boobies-bracelets.html)

Earl 10-15-2010 12:41 PM

I love Boobies - bracelets

OK, so apparently, some school administrators have WAY too much time on their hands. There has been a ton of controversy about a $4.00 bracelet sold to support cancer research that school officials are banning. S-T-U-P-I-D!

The kids can wear their pants around their ankles with their underwear sticking out, and jewelery all over their face but a simple bracelet is wrong? WOW, I hope this get media coverage and the school officials get smacked down- Fast.

Do you think they should be banned? I'm gonna tack on a poll for this one.

Story in my local news site, but is AP.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...oobies-ON.html

Dejibo 10-15-2010 12:56 PM

I am on the fence.

#1 I have survived breast cancer and appreciate the chance to promote awareness, but I wonder if the teenage boys would want one at all if it didnt say "boobies" on it. I am sure it is not being used for its intended purpose, and while the money being gained from its sale will help, do we really need a bunch of teenagers spouting boobie bracelets? One comment that was made was that a 14 y/o boy was in trouble because when he goes with his dad for testicular cancer treatments, he saw alot of breast cancer patients and thought it would be good to support them. Um..#1 how did he know these women had breast cancer? #2 why wasnt he wearing a "i love balls" bracelet to support his dad? #3 there are more appropriate ways to involve teens rather than giving them a chance to have even more sexual references in their lives.

So...here I sit on the fence. I love that folks are raising awareness, but when is the pink parade going to stop? Everywhere I look, I see pink cars, pink shoes, pink dusters, pink tshirts, pink blenders, pink mixers, pink cook ware, pink pink pink pink pink! I dont want to be surrounded by pink! enough! I love pink, but since when am I not being supportive if I chose a blue or green duster? a grey car and a black tshirt? Must I be slathered in pink for the rest of my days?

I think the boobies bracelet is a good idea in the right hands, but there are very few teenage boys that I can think of that are using it for its intended purpose.

Earl 10-15-2010 01:05 PM

D- I agree with you somewhat, especially with the pink stuff, it seems there is nowhere we can go to escape pink from 10/1 to 10/31.

I donate to breast cancer awareness every year, but not to Susan G. Komen since I learned that stuff about them last year.

But, there is such thing as too much pink. NOW, that being said, since the NMSS changed their color to orange, I would LOVE to see orange everywhere. That would be great with me. :winky::winky:

Blessings2You 10-15-2010 04:13 PM

I don't know if I think it should be "banned", but I do think it's vulgar.

Kitty 10-15-2010 04:17 PM

I think it ought to be revised.

It's immature and disrespectful (in my opinion). They could have done a much better job using a less inappropriate slogan.

Man..............do I sound old and fuddy-duddy or what???? :p

SandyC 10-15-2010 05:45 PM

Well, I don't see anything wrong with raising awareness. Slogans are what sell products. I belong to "Feel Your Boobies" and think it's fine. It got my attention better than any other organization. My mom is a breast cancer survivor and I have had close calls since the age of 11. So, nope, nothing wrong with it. Illinois even has a huge campaign going on called Vote Naked Illinois and it's all about being able to vote from home. I think that's catchy too. But, for me, I don't shock easily.

Breast, boobs, girls, tata's, Betty and Wilma, whatever works for you. :wink:

SallyC 10-15-2010 07:56 PM

After reading further, I'd like to remove my "Inapprpriate vote" I'm with Dej, on the fence.:) I hate to see anything this important misused, but I see the potential.:rolleyes:

SandyC 10-17-2010 05:35 PM

Dang Earl, didn't get much out of this one eh? LOL

Earl 10-17-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandyC (Post 705839)
Dang Earl, didn't get much out of this one eh? LOL

Oh, I don't know. 7 replies but 175 views. Out of those 175 views, how many people might talk about it, thus bringing more attention to the bracelets, and that, if you think about it, is the whole point to the bracelets. :) plus on my other forums there are lots of replies, most people say it's not too much, it's much-a-do-about-nuthin, as one person says it.

I would not have a problem with my kid wearing one, or my wearing one. To support my aunt who is a B.C. Survivor.

Blessings2You 10-17-2010 06:42 PM

Brought the topic up with someone this morning who is a big supporter of breast cancer research and education, so I was interested in her take. She thinks that slogan (and some others) "trivialize and sexualize" a horrific disease, and have more to do with the "tee hee" factor than true education.