NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Phoebe the hummingbird is BACK....2011 ~& Others (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/135878-phoebe-hummingbird-2011-a.html)

mrsD 10-22-2010 10:59 AM

Phoebe the hummingbird is BACK....2011 ~& Others

Phoebe has returned and begun a new nest.

Here it is:

The cam is up and running well now!

She has been testing the rose bush for several days now, and the web owner has moved the cam now so we can see how she builds the nest.
Lots of sharp thorns this time to discourage dangerous predators!

mrsD 10-22-2010 02:34 PM

The nest is growing quickly. It is fascinating to see how Phoebe binds the plant fibers with tiny spider webs! She also does a little wiggle wiggle dance to compress the bottom! A little trivial factoid: a hummingbird weighs as much as a penny! About 21 grams.

At this rate it will be done by Sunday!

Seems like more activity later in the day for her. She must be feeding early in the morning.

Kitty 10-22-2010 02:40 PM

Thank you so much! I just love to watch her.....it's simply amazing. I lose track of time when I tune in to watch her! :o

Blessings2You 10-22-2010 05:53 PM

Love it!!

Is there also a phoebe named Hummingbird?

mrsD 10-31-2010 12:43 PM

Phoebe has laid the first egg!

The egg was laid early this morning. Perhaps another in a day or two is expected!

Posters on that site say the weather is warm and good for the egg too.

mrsD 11-02-2010 04:13 PM

Second Egg is here!

Phoebe is now settled in and incubating the eggs. The second one was laid early this morning!

She seemed so busy and frenetic up to now, and now she is dozing on the nest....much easier to watch!

Good luck dear Phoebe, for a successful hatching and fledging!

mrsD 11-03-2010 03:17 PM

Sadly...

Something happened at Phoebe's nest last night.

The owner has posted on FB that he has her on video in the dark throwing the eggs out---and they are on the ground now, and trashing the nest. :( :confused:

The nest looked small to me yesterday, and I wonder if the eggs got broken squashed up in the shallow narrow bottom?

Anyway, the Eagles at Norfolk lost a clutch at night when the nest was spooked by an owl or another eagle, and those eggs were broken. 2 seasons ago.

In any event, this is sad, and I was really hoping to see a successful nesting!

mrsD 11-04-2010 06:10 AM

This link was posted on the FB for Phoebe....

It is REALLY interesting.... a "new" nest provided to a nesting family who was in trouble, and then the recovery of a sick hummer in the nest, is quite spectacular!

Making an "artificial nest" is a very interesting concept. I wonder.... I might even try this here some day!

Doody 11-08-2010 06:04 PM

Aw, I haven't been following this and was so happy and then felt bad, LOL! Thanks for this hummer experience ((Mrs D)), I love it! :hug:

Doody 11-08-2010 06:07 PM

My eyes must be bad! I've been looking at the cam and can't even tell where the nest is. It's pretty cool as there are several people chatting right now and the owner is in there as well talking about the hummer.