NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   What hobbies have you been able to do with RSD/ CRPS?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/13626-hobbies-able-rsd-crps.html)

InHisHands 02-16-2007 07:19 PM

What hobbies have you been able to do with RSD/ CRPS??

I was wondering what hobbies you have been able to do and enjoyed?

Something that still keeps you moving, but isn't unbearable, and you enjoy doing it??

A hobby has got to help keep your mind on something other than pain, and is something you can enjoy (RSD hasn't taken it away)... so what is yours?

I am trying to find something that I can manage doing and enjoy, while not dying in pain trying to do it. :)

Any ideas?

I'm thinking about making some more things out of sculpey clay, computer work, etc... I enjoy using the computer, and I have been able to learn to type even with RSD affecting my hands (it has gotten better over the past months, so that I am not so shaky and cramped up typing).

Doing a hobby is a way to "continue on with life" so as not to get depressed and feeling like you cannot do anything... right?

I'd love to hear what you all enjoy doing while you are living with this terrible RSD.

Thanks. ;)

nikmcjo 02-16-2007 08:29 PM

It has been very hard for me to find something else to do in my spare time. I went from being in gymnastics 24 hours a week along with school to this....

I think it has helped SOOOOOOOOOO much having my cat around. If you aren't allergic to animals or anything, I would HIGHLY reccomend getting a cat or even a non-hyper dog. They help for company and they keep you moving. My cat can sense when I am having a bad pain spasm so she is near me when I need her most and she has learned to stay away from RSD affected areas which helps lots.

Aside from that, pets like to play sometimes so it is good for the exercise to play along. With a cat, hold string above her head and watch her jump for it or for a dog, play fetch with a small foamy ball. It's fun and it takes your mind off of the pain a little bit. Then they can cuddle with you when you need it most :) Just make sure not to get a hyper dog or kittens. It is best to get an older pet because they are older and more wise and it is easier to teach them to keep away and not to touch RSD areas.

I also like doing sudoku puzzles and computer stuff. It doesn't keep me moving, but it helps when I am lazy and don't feel like doing anything.

Best of luck

BroadwayBaby 02-16-2007 08:40 PM

I definitely agree on the pet thing - my dog is the best therapy ever! Other than that - it depends where you're affected and how badly. Do you play any intstruments, and would you like to learn? Great outlet, also lets you focus really hard on something. Same for writing, painting -anything artistic. It doesn't have to be brilliant, right? It's just got to be you.

Other possibilities - sewing/knitting (I'm really bad at those, so I do latchhook - also, doesn't require much dexterity), jewelry making, gardening.....depends on what you like and how your mobility is.

Rainbow422 02-16-2007 09:27 PM

My 2 cents

My RSD is in both hands, wrists and arms. Believe it or not I have been using crocheting to help strenthen my limbs. It is not alot, but I think it is helping. It also helps me from getting really depressed. Gives my brain other focus besides the CRPS. I thought my world was taken from me in 7-06 but I am learning and adapting.

With the RSD, sometimes I cannot type a key. My Friend got me the best christmas present. Dragon Naturally speaking Version 9. You talk, it types. Really helps out when I am in crippling pain. Takes a little patience to get it trained and a little cash to buy the package but well worth it. I do not know what I would do to smile if I did not have my groups to chat in. When I was not using the computer at all, I was extremely depressed and everyone was really worried that I was being mentally crippled by my diagnoses. Now I have my groups no matter how I feel.

praying for less pain days for all of us!

Gentle Hugs,

Rain :p

AnnaBananaBean 02-16-2007 09:33 PM

art has honestly been the only thing thats gotten me through all this. I usually spend about 2 hours a day drawing in my sketchbook, along with the 5 art classes i take in school. It helps me calm down and destress, and its always so rewarding when you finish a piece and look at it and go "i did that!". I'm in numerous art related clubs and a few of my recent pottery pieces just got sent to a state competition!

art has actually been so theraputic for me im going to college next year to major in Art Therapy and hopefully work in a children's hospital someday so i can help kids like me!

good luck!

anna

dreambeliever128 02-17-2007 12:42 AM

This is a good question. I was just wondering what kind of hobbies people are still able to do and if they think it relates to the RSDS that they still can't do them physically and mentally.

I use to make jewelry and I kept my kit thinking that someday I would be able to get back to it. Not happening yet.

I also love antiques and Bill and I delt in them for years. Buying, selling, and trading. For the past 8 years it was him doing it all. Now I can't even concentrate on doing it. I have a shed full of antiques and I could use the money but I just cannot bring myself to do it.

Ada

buckwheat 02-17-2007 10:31 AM

Hi Ada,

I love antiques too. Do you collect a certain thing? I have a doll collection that I think I am going to sell, I have had them years. Hugs, Roz

Kathi49 02-17-2007 10:39 AM

Hi,

I don't have RSD but do have spinal disorders. And my love is Genealogy! True, you can spend HOURS on the computer. But I just break up my time on it and do research when I can. When I am really into it, I don't think I feel much pain. :)

dreambeliever128 02-17-2007 10:59 AM

Hi Roz,

I collect cobalt blue. I have a house full of it. I also collect hankies, jewelry, older dolls. I have a doll house from the 1930's. I have worked on furnishing it for the past few years with antique doll furniture. I have a collection of perfume bottles. The boys and I collect Disney. It's their collection for when they are grown. We have over 5000 pieces. Bill and I always had to buy two of everything for them. They love collecting and we wanted to teach them the value of things so they wouldn't destroy them. Bill built them each a showcase about 5 years ago for Christmas and they collect knives and coins.

I have scaled down on what I collect. My house runneth over and now that Bill is gone I have to make some decisions on what to do with everything I have now if I sell or rent the house.

I have a lot of the old western things of Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Bonanza and more. I actually started packing things up before Bill passed because we were going to sell the house.

Hi Kathy, I love geneology also. If you ever want to read on my family google Chenoweth Family and you will see our family history. A 6th cousin did it and it is amazing. It's on my Dad's side. It even tells the history of how they started. I want to do Mom's side but I don't know how to even start. Seems like every website charges to research.

I don't want to take away from Inhishand's post. I thought it was good. I had been thinking about asking the same question.

Ada

Brokenwings 02-19-2007 05:26 PM

Hi everyone! I am new to this Forum, and there are so many interesting threads and discussions! I have an internet friend who has RSD in her arms/hands, like I do.

It has been challenging to find activities to get OUT and at least try to have somewhat of a "life"! However, my friend, who used to be an avid camper/fisher-person and overall outdoor enthusiast found a BRILLIANT activity that does NOT ONVOLVE ARMS!!!!!

It is called "float-tubing"--basicaly, you wear a neoprene wader over shorts and a shirt (or bathing-suit), and you get in this big inner-tube thing with a platform seat, a back-rest and armrests. You wear scuba-diving flippers on your feet. Once you are in the water, you "paddle" with your feet to get you where you want to go on a nice, calm lake....she did it several times, although she just needed a little assistance from her hubby to get "set up".

She said it was the FIRST time in YEARS that she felt "FREE"--and NO USE OF HER ARMS!!!! The second time she went out, she brought light-weigh binoculars, and even saw a bald eagle dive for a fish and bring it out of the water, and it flew right over her head!!!

This summer, she is going to have her hubby attach a fishing pole holder to the arm-rest, so she doesn't have to try and cast out or try to hold the pole--she figures if she cant actually reel the fish in too well, she can just snip the line and let the fish go!! Or, have her hubby help her reel it in (if he can paddle fast enough to get to her!!)

WOW!!!! I asked my PTP/Pain Doctor if I could give this a try this summer--he said GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!! A good way to get a little exercise, or just a "leisurely float" and enjoy some beautiful scenery!!!

I found a whole bunch of these float tubes at www.cabellas.com and waders and flippers as well. Depending on what model, etc. you want, the total cost is basically about $100...if you want a fancier float-tube, well, of course, then the cost is up to you!

This MIGHT also be a great activity if you have RSD in a lower extremity--the buoancy of the water might help, and doing the flipper thing doesn't require much strength according to my friend. It might just be THERAPEUTIC to get the legs moving without weight-bearing. Also, if you have a companion, you could probably be TOWED (basically and "effort-free ride")!!

I cannot tell you guys just how EXCITED I am to try this!!!! Kind of opens up a "Whole New World"!! After I make my "maiden vogage", I will DEFINITELY report back and let you know how it went!!!

Ok, summer---I can hardly wait!!

CZZ74 02-20-2007 03:19 AM

This was a great question

I started a rose garden, I love tending to it.also I have a bird feeder outside my bedroom window. I love to watch all the different birds-15 so far. Of course I have to open the window and yell at the squirrels!! Thenof course there is my lab Hannah, never could I go thorugh this without her. she wakes me up when I have ketamine nightmars, actually jumps up on the bed to wake me. I love her dearly. I have walked her with tears running down my face.because the pain is so bad- walks are so important to big dogs and I dont have many volunteers. it is so sad if it is one of those days or few days wehn i cant make it out of the house. I try to throw toys etc. so my dear freind hannah is a double edged sword but i couldnt live without her. Ive statrted cross word puzzles the easy ones that helps keep the brain working. MY left arm can not hold the book long- but I can make it through-one. I also have a 90 year old neighbor= she is how i try to give back = by going accross the streeet to visit. the visits mean alot to her. Think abut this one you guys because when i cant go she cries its awful and she cant understand.
next question should be " what did we do before we had RSD. thanks cz

LMJunior 02-20-2007 09:37 AM

Hello

Hi InHisHands,
When I was first diagnosed with RSD my PT recommended that I use play-doh for my hands. It was a great exercise and I found it to be relaxing. Another exercise I did was bounced a ball that too was a great exercise. Before developing RSD I use to do ballet,jazz and tap,but after having RSD and with my shoulders subluxing (not from the RSD) I took Jazz lessons that was a good exercise. In the beginning when I went back to taking Jazz my arms use to catch on fire felt so hot,but my doctor told me that was good so keep doing the exercise. I always have to be extra careful with my shoulders because they sublux if I go over head or out to the side. I use to totally enjoy taking jazz lessons. My doctor has recommended that I take Tai Chi classes to help with my RSD and it has been great. I took a class at the county college one night a week for eight weeks it was really good. He said you should get an instructor to show you how to do Tai Chi becaue you can hurt yourself if your not showed the moves correctly. Take Care

Laraine

allentgamer 02-20-2007 06:11 PM

fun topic

I like building computers, and creating websites for friends. Scanning old photos and putting them all on cd's.

I used to love restoring old cars and trucks, now I just like looking at pictures of before and after projects others have done. Hotrods and sports cars were/are my favorites.

I am sooo glad computers are not to hard to work on, and that I can take my time with them :)

Brokenwings 02-21-2007 02:41 AM

Hi In His Hands--Thanks! i do hope that we all can find some OUTDOOR activities that are relaxing, FUN and "normal"!! Where I live, we have winter basically for 5-6 months. The cold is really bad for my RSD, and I spend DAYS with my arms wrapped around a heating pad (have burned out three already, and the fourth is acting up..). It is really awful, and very bittersweet to watch the kids and adults from myu living-room window having fun in the snow, walking down the street tossing snow-balls at each other, snow-shoeing in the drifts, taking their dogs out fpr play-time....and then remembering how much I loved to ski and ice-skate, attend all the fun activities for Winterfest BEFORE the RSD. And now, dreading to even go out inthe cold just to check the mailbox, lest it really set off the burning and reddish-purple colour of my skin and the sensitivity...

Well, I have decided that I am going to just "get through" this winter by getting that float-tube, etc. ordered! And imagining just how FREE I am going to feel in it!!!!! I can hardly wait for the weather to watm up!

My e-mail friend to check Cabellas and other sporting-good web-sites for some small, chemical packs that release heat---she says her hubby uses these things in his socks and gloves to keep them WARM when he is hunting.
So, the thought being, keep them "on hand" (so to speak) when I try the float-tubing, just in case my hands start doing the icey-cold thing.

Isn't it weird how some of these symproms just pop up? Even though the warm weather is so much more comfortable, I just can't tolerate too much variance in the temperature changes. Has anyone else experienced this??

like shopping at the grocery store---I just dread the frozen food section or the produce section, especially those misters that decide to come on the minute I reach for a bunch of celery!!! Talk about TIMING!!!

It has been so interesting to read about everyone else's hobbies! I too, love gardening, but darned if I can figure out how to plant anything bigger than a six-pack in a flower-box!

Has anyone found a way to dig a hole in the ground, or a device that can do it for you? I would love to try and plant some things in the ground, but I can't manage to use the shovel with my foot to get a hole bigger than a couple of inches deep. ARRRRRRR!!!! I have a light-weight Rubber-made garden cart that I could probably transport a rose-bush in, but getting it OUT of the plastic thing and into the ground.....any ideas??

Thanks to you all!!!

Brokenwings

artist 02-21-2007 03:10 AM

Um.....you sound like a sales person for that website. Not sure we're allowed to post commercials on here, unless it's strictly for medical purposes.

allentgamer 02-21-2007 05:18 AM

Speaking of hobbies

I have been a busy guy :p

Changed the website to this cool looking background, and will be adding some new pics tomorrow.

Also created a forum! I know it will never be as great as this place, but just wanted to learn the process. That is what hobbies are for!

So let me know your likes/dislikes, it keeps me busy, plus it helps me to learn what people like or dislike. Dislikes I will change real quick if enough dont like it! :eek:

I put the links in my signature. ;)

emilys gramma 02-21-2007 10:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
IMO, it does not sound like a commercial to me........those little warmers are neat..... i like them in my shoes.............

gardening is something i love to do also.....i made up some planters on my own.....they are pretty different, and when they fill in, they look nice..........the photos are when they are not filled in all the way.....the staggerd pots are fun to put together too........and when the flowers are fully bloomed and grown, the pots are no longer visible.....

i dont' know of anything to make digging any easier tho...sorry.....

artist 02-21-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilys gramma (Post 72889)
IMO, it does not sound like a commercial to me........

Hey Claudia, maybe not, it's just that when 2 out of 3 posts from a brand new poster mention the same commercial website, I can't help but wonder.....

Your plants, btw, are simply *stunning* :Tip-Hat:
all the best

Becca 02-21-2007 12:34 PM

I have so many hobbies! I like to make paper, do origami, do computer stuff, and sculpey clay is fun too. I also have done tennis in a wheelchair, but I don't think that would work for you if you have it in your hands.

Brokenwings 02-21-2007 12:45 PM

Hi Everyone--I am sorry if it sounded as though I was "promoting" a particular web-site--I was just merely making a suggestion as to the TYPES of places one could explore if they wanted to see if various items for getting out of the house and back INTO the "outside world" again.

I am new to posting on Forums, and didn't realize that perhaps I shouldn't post the names of specific retailers or web-sites.

I have had RSD for 4 years now, and battling with the work comp system over getting the appropriate treatment, particularly the nerve blocks.
I am also on SSDI, and am fortunate to have Medicare. For the past two years, I have had to have the blocks provided for unded Medicare, and then pay out-of-pocked for the co-pay.

Juast this week the IC abuptly discoontinued authorization for ALL the meds that I have been on for the past three years (dx'd three yers ago).
I have been on the Neurontin, 3, 600 mg. for three years. The abrubpt wtih withdrawal of the Neurontin wsa AWFUL, and in addtion to severe nausea, it caused me to be extremely "hyper", jittery, and just feeling downright HORRIBLE. I managed to get a one week supply, and resumed the neuronting several days ago.

While researching withdrawal symproms , I stumbled upun this site...I ws very relieved that I did!! It REALLY helped me take my mind off "My" problem, while reading about everyone elses horror stories of RSD, and all the things that everyone is doing in a POSITIVE way to cope wtih it.

So, that is why I shared my e-mail friend's story about float-tubing, where SHE got all her stuff, and where I explored the web to find places where I could too.

As you may all have experienced, when one is given HOPE, and when one has discoverd OTHERS who are in the same RSD NITEMARE, maybe I was a little "overly enthusiastic" in my post--but I sincerely did NOT intend to come off as a salesperson (although it sure would beat having RSD!!!!LOL)

Since I am new to this Forum and navigating the site, and I have to take frequent breaks from the computer (also have bilatere CTS and bilateral post ulnar-nerve transpositions that precipitated the RSD), I guess i should have started off introducing myself.

Anyhow, to the poster that was so kind to post pictures of all the AWESOME flower-pots, THANK YOU for taking the time to do so!!!
Maybe this summer when I am feeling better, I could try to do some hanging ones!!!!

And to ALL the posters--thanks for sharing your stories--I don't feel so "alone" anymore. People who do not have RSD have NO IDEA just how "life-altering", painful, and FRUSTRATING it is.....

artist 02-21-2007 12:54 PM

Thanks for clearing that up, BW, and for taking the time to tell us more about yourself, it makes all the difference :)

I'm sure you'll find a lot of support here...all the best!

Diamond Lil 02-21-2007 01:33 PM

Hello: Where I live the ground is clay and rocks - almost impossible to dig. If you do manage to dig a hole, you need to fill it with purchased soil because the native soil is so poor.

I was lucky because the house I bought already had mature trees and shrubs so that there is something in bloom from when the snow is still on the ground (pussywillows, snowdrops, crocus) through the fall (mums). The flower pots are a good idea. Also, house plants can add beauty inside your home, even in the winter. One way to easily grow flowers is to sow wildflower seeds. You will get a mixture of colors and sizes as well as annuals and perennials. Since wildflowers can grow on their own, you will have very little work to do. No digging involved, just loosen the soil.

I feed the birds in the winter and every summer I have beautiful sunflowers grow under the birdfeeder. One last year was over seven feet tall! It was like getting a lovely thank-you card from nature and the grateful birds. Regards, Lil

dreambeliever128 02-21-2007 02:41 PM

Hi All,

With you guys decribing your beautiful flowers it makes me excited about summer coming. I don't know how much I'll be able to do in my yard this summer but I love working in it.

Bill and I would take turns watering the front or the back yard. We have a big front yard and a big back yard. A friend of mine gave me all of her rose bushes 2 summers ago. There was 21 of them. I think we lost 2 and I already had several that I had bought.

Last summer we finally started fixing up or back yard and I made 4 flower beds. I got the hole dug for my fishpond but I don't know if I can finish it by myself. We were going to do it this summer.

In my back yard, I took a headboard of a bed and put in one flowerbed and put vines that climb on it. In another one I have a daybed frame and I intend to plant vines this year to climb on it. I also have an old plow and antique bike and whatever else I could find for my flower beds. The vines climb all over that old bike in the summer and you can hardly see it.

Dustin said he would help me this summer with the yard so I am hoping we can keep things going. But like you guys I really love working in the yard but if it's too hot then I can't do it.

Claudia, your pots look pretty. I can keep outside flowers going but I overwater my inside ones. I have already killed Bill's cactus. I never had a green thumb if I get things to grow it's by accident. LOL

Ada

Jomar 02-22-2007 01:16 AM

for garden help-
Isn't there any neighbor kids that will dig a hole for you and help to plant things once in awhile?

or make raised beds by adding compost mix and topsoil on top of the bad/heavy soil - you probably still need a helper to carry and to get it mixed well.

the fisherman float tube is something I hadn't thought of - if someone lives near lakes or streams or such- even a pool i suppose- that could be very handy.
I know most larger sporting goods stores carry those around here.

allentgamer 02-22-2007 04:53 AM

Earthworm castings

For all of you gardners I have a tip.

Next time you are at the local nursery, or garden center, see if they have some worm castings. They 100% organic, 4 times better than any other fertilizer, and wont burn your plants. In fact you can grow plants in pure worm castings without burning the plant. Try that in any other fertilizer :eek:

If you find some, you can get it online also. Either put a 1/4 inch layer in every pot, or if you repot the plant, mix 1/3 castings with 2/3 potting soil for the very healthiest plants.

You can also increase your harvest, or fruit size with worm castings. The only plant you really have to be careful of is the tomato. If you put to much around, or in the soil. The tomato will grow to this huge size, but will not produce fruit!

The tomato plant will think it wont die, so it wont produce fruit!! The one I made the mistake on did live through the winter, and even made it through a light snow. The plant was 20 foot tall!

I highly recommend this for all house plants. It is like putting steroids on your plants, but totally natural. Made from nature just for plants to feed on. :)

Here is some info on worm castings

http://www.gardencentershowplace.com/Articles04.htm

HubbyWithRSD 02-22-2007 07:43 AM

Things he does

Hubby likes to work with local church youth group when he's having a good day. He cant shoot hoops or play any physical game but he can be there to talk with the kids, supervise, etc.

He also likes to cook - although the kids have to help him with the heavy items, pans and rolling and things like that but he's always up to making some new creation.

Brokenwings 02-23-2007 01:20 PM

Hi Artist--sorry I couln't thank you sooner (had emrgency nerve-block due to the fiasco w/ meds...)

And thanks to all for some very good suggestions re gardening tips! I was thinking, if i can't get a neighborhood kid to help dig a hole deep enough for a 1 or 5 gallon rose bush, etc., I wonder what would happen if a bunch of good compost could be "mounded" around the roots. Has anyone tried this "method"? I suppose in the harsh winter, the roots would have to be extra- protected with mulch or something...

I LOVE the idea of the wild-flower seeds!!!! That should be pretty easy to do, and I think a lot of them are perennials and will come back. THANKS!!!!

Also, I have seen a lot of "pre-formed" pond kits with pumps included, and some are solar-power operated. I am pretty sure that a hole wouldn't even have to be dug! Maybe just put a bunch of dirt and small rocks that are easy to handle around it so that the base can't be seen, and then put little plants around it...hmmmmmmm, I better start re-reading all my catalogues and find one!!! That could be really pretty, and I bet a lot of birds would be attracted, too!!!!

Has anyone with ponds tried to grow water-plants, like water-lilies, etc? Are they pretty hard to grow in the pond? (fussy, etc.?). I would like to try that!

LOTS of fun "projects" to look forward to this spring/summer!!!! THANK YOU ALL!

Browkenwings

Jomar 02-23-2007 01:53 PM

I have 2 ponds - just big heavy duty rubber or plastic tanks from feed stores .
I got mine partially buried in the ground and then built up around them.
a picture here- http://pub36.bravenet.com/photocente...num=3018365670

water lilies have been easy for me there are floating pond plants too.

I made a bio filter /waterfall for the water to run thru but also use a pump/filter all in one submersible.

many sites and info search - ponds and water gardens
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ponds&btnG=Search

my first patio pond was a large plastic planter with a small pump
- I used rocks, sticks or anything to make the sounds of the water change tones as it flows over them.

It's is a great restful sound!

yes you can mound up /make raised beds on top of ground but straight potting soil alone won't work very well it is too porous {won't hold water evenly}- you need to get some top soil to mix with it.

Diamond Lil 02-23-2007 04:29 PM

Hello: I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have also used those "roll out" flower mats. They can be cut to size and are rather easy to use. They really grow!

On another note: If anyone has an amaryliss from the holidays, do not throw it out because it is done blooming. When the weather gets nice, you can set it outside all summer still in it pot. In the fall, cut back the long green leaves and put it in a dark place without any water for a few weeks. After the plant has rested, just put it back in the house and start watering it again. You may have to re-pot the bulb in a bigger container. My Amarylis has bloomed six times for me and it brings such lovely color indoors for the holidays. Regards, Lil

allentgamer 02-23-2007 11:21 PM

Apology

Made a big mistake with the forum link, soooo sorry. I didnt realize it was the link to the registration page.

I fixed it! :D

Now it goes to the forum website.

There is actually 2 forums in one there. Half the public can see, and half only members can see. Even came up with an idea to have private areas for groups. Not sure if that works, but Im a pushin the envelope in forum creation! :D

emilys gramma 02-24-2007 09:55 AM

broken wings....

4 Attachment(s)
i have a small pond in my backyard that frank and my son put in for me after my mom died.in 1998......i go out there and 'talk' to her.......i love it....it is a preformed one .....................

i have several koi, and several water plants........i don't know what state you are in, but here in michigan it gets really cold. i have water lillies and others i don't know their names ...but after november, i cut the plants way down, and drop them to the very bottom of the pond so no parts of the plants are visible.....then all winter the pond is mostly frozen, and there is a small heater there to avoid total icing....the fish go dormant, they swim very little, and do not eat....then in the spring, wha la......they are fine, the plants are put back on the small shelf of the pond and they are fine and grow once again...........the lillies are pretty, however, the flower part only lasts about two days and then you have to wait for the next blooms.............
i noticed that when i posted the photos of my flowers, i forgot to add one with the finished product of the flower ball, so i will add it to this post......................
there are two small goldfish that emily added to the pond too, and they are doing well...........

allentgamer 02-24-2007 11:42 AM

Nice!!

Wow Claudia!

That is a nice backyard! Love the pond.

I have this huge totally unlandscaped backyard, would love to do something like that. Maybe if I can purchase the property, wouldnt want to spend a bunch of money just to have the rent go up lol.

Brokenwings 02-24-2007 01:10 PM

Hi Allen--totally understand not wanting to sink a lot of money into permanent landscaping!!! I think if you used those pre-formed ponds and didn't "dig them in" to the ground, you could dismantle them and keep them if you evermove to a new place...also, from the superb pix on this site of pots and planter boxes, you could take those with you as well. I guess the trick would be is to not make them too heavy, unless you have a lot of help!!!!

If you ever did get your own piece of property, you would have a real good "head start" on landscaping!

Love, love love that pond!!!! It would be so nice to have some fish, but I think between the neighborhood cats, the racoons and coyotes, they wouldn't last too long...!!!! But, I sure would be happy to hear the sound of trickling water and have a few lilies and other water plants, so THANKS for the "winter tricks"!! (Lots of snow and minus-zero temps....brrrrrrrr!)

Also, I have seen those roll-out flower-seed mats, but wasn't quite sure if they actually worked...now that I know that they DO, I will definitely give them a try! Soooo much easier than trying to dig a bunch of holes!!! I am going to also try the mounding technique for the roses--they could probably be transferred to a planter pot if I didn't get it quite "right"!!!

So may NEW "possibilities" for having a nice garden again!!!! THANK YOU , THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!

InHisHands 02-24-2007 02:18 PM

Wow, everyone!!! Thank you so much for all your input and ideas!! I was so thrilled when I opened up the RSD forum and this topic was 4 pages long!

I do have a dog. :D He keeps me on my toes because he always needs to be walked, brushed and taken care of. He isn't a very hyper dog, but he is young. He makes me feel better some days when he lays next to me... he is a big, sweet baby!!

I was wondering if anyone does any baking? I suprised myself and some others and made chocolate chip nut cookies the other day. It was good therapy to make them, and then be able to see my work. :) Was I ever excited... small steps! My physical therapist was thrilled (I made him a batch!) that I was able to do that (he told me to, but didn't think I would, because he is *always* telling me to bake or make something, and that it would be good for me).

I do have good intentions for the next weeks... I got a cross-stich (don't think my fine motor skills are good enough for it yet, but I really wanna try!), and I am going to pick up my camera. :Excited: It's not going to be easy, but I am going to try my best!!

Thanks so much!!

Brokenwings 02-24-2007 07:09 PM

HI in His Hands-- I have tried a little baking, but I need to use a stand mixer to help stir heavy doughs like cookies, etc. But, it works GREAT! I like to find cooky recipes that require rolling teaspoon size dough in my hands, like Mexican Wedding Cookies ( alos called Russian tea-cakes--you know, the ones that have about a pound of butter and confectioner sugar and chopped walnuts, ehn you re-roll them in confectioner sugar afer they have cooled).

I also like baking things like corn-bread that do not require very good mixing!!
And experimenting with adding different cheeses, chopped jalpeno peppers, etc. just for variety.

Rather than baking big batches of egg custard, bread-pudding, etc in one big dish, I do them in small ramekins, and use smaller aluminum pans for the water-bath part. That way, nothing is too heavy (i put the pan in the oven FIRST, then quick add a few ramekins to each water-bath pan.)

I would like to try bread in the stand-mixer, and then see how well the kneading part goes on my own. I might start with pizza dough, because I don't think it takes as many kneading/let rise/knead again steps.! (repetitive stuff is a little rough on the carpal tunnel). With the pizza-dough, one can make focacchia, stuffed calzone with all kinds of great ingredients, and I think that the dough can just be shaped by patting, rather than trying to use a rolling-pin. Just the FEEL of the soft dough in one's hands might be wonderful!!

Wha has helped me a LOT in the kitchen is using a food-processor for chopping/grating/slicing, as well as electric can-opener and the "Lids Off" Bottle Opener.

Because casserole dishes like lasagna, etc. can be pretty heavy to get in and out of the oven and CLUMBSY to handle, now I just use smaller dishes, and also the noodles that you don't have to pre-boil. Just make the sauce a little "juicier" so the dry noodles can absorb the excess. I usually make the sauce one day, then do the assembly work the next so it is not too much prolonged activity in one day.

Well, I never WAS able to make a decent pie-dough, so I just use the frozen ones, or graham cracker crust! (pre and post-injury...just do not have the "knack"!)

I also use a crock-pot a lot, and then just transfer the portions into smaller containers that can be zapped in the microwave, or stored in the freezer.

One of my "winter hobbies" has been collecting recipes from magazines, etc., and then putting them into folders according to category, which also means categorizing them by "this I can do NOW -- not to challenging", and this recipe requires "further thought of how to do it in the future" and thinking about how to make it easier by breaking it down into smaller steps or tasks. (I call that folder my 'wish book')...!

And, my NEW "winter hobby" is looking on the web for really cool, pre-formed water-ponds, plants, garden"gadgets", wild-flower seeds, and those roll-out flower carpets (sorry , off-topic) and veggy seeds that are easy to grow in a SHORT summer season (maybe zucchini), and perhaps a small, light-weight "pop-up" greenhouse. (No assembly required!)
Maybe I will be able to get a good crop, and make "baked zucchini" or zucchini bread before the squirrels and blue-jays raid thm!

You started a GREAT thread, In his Hands!!!! I bet before too long, it will be EIGHT pages, and running!!!!!! THANKS!!!!!!

Diamond Lil 02-25-2007 01:47 PM

Hello BrokenWings: In my area we have to keep our car doors locked when the zucchini is ready. Otherwise you might find someone has donated their excesss zucchini.:) :winky: Lil

frogga 02-25-2007 08:31 PM

Lucky you!!!!

I love recipies - A friend and I have spent most of today discussing food, food shops, restaurants, seeds etc (the fact I have almost no taste buds and can barely swallow anything makes me more of a foody than when I can eat!!! have spent all day discussing what I want most in the world......... It's like having pregnancy cravings -without the pregnancy (unless I have miraculosly managed an immaculate conception!)...

Absoloute craving for asparagus with butter ...baked rainbow trout with potato, sweet potato, turnip and milk mash and steamed vegetables... and then something like treacle tart and custard or vegan chocolate cake...
(I know.. I'm vegan... so I can have almost none of that and would no doubt end up vomiting it all up if i tried to eat it - but no issue!)...

I can't cook (full body RSD) and have carers to do it all for me - so it can be abit weird trying to explain how you like things cooked without appearing a total control freak.. (I now try and let them go to the kitchen on their own otherwise i get so frustrated with the whole thing....I have one of my fave carers staying with me at the moment - but she only eats cow and white bread/ white pasta/ white rice and it drives me insane...!!!) ...

ok - not sure that thinking about food is a hobby.. OOOh I have also passed my mediating/ counselling course - I am now a trained up mediator/ listener/ counsellor.... (about to post about this in another thread..) but I suppose that is becoming abit of a hobby too...

it's great to see that even though the RSD has affected us alot we are still individuals with it!

FRxxxxxxxxxxxxx