NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Does anyone speak Greek/Macedonian? (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/136998-speak-greek-macedonian.html)

Koala77 11-02-2010 06:53 PM

Does anyone speak Greek/Macedonian?

I was wondering if anyone speaking Greek would be able to identify the dialect in some short sentences, and maybe translate them for me?

I know the language is Greek, and probably close to the area of Macedonia in origin, but I've been unable to find a translator on the net that even correctly identifies the language for me. I've been given Finnish, French, Swedish, even Tongan when I asked the program to detect the language, but I know that it definitely comes from somewhere in Greece.

If you think you might be able to help, please send me a PM so we can proceed.

Thank you.

hollym 11-03-2010 01:19 PM

Does Google have a translator for Greek? I haven't looked, but that would be the first place I would go because they can translate most things, it seems.

Koala77 11-03-2010 03:56 PM

Thanks Holly, but the Google translator was the first place I tried.

As I mentioned above, I do know for sure that the language comes from Greece, but the Google translator is unable to translate it for me. I even asked the program to detect the language, and it told me the printed text is lots of different languages ...... Finnish, French, Swedish, even Tongan. but I know that it's definitely Greek.

I looked up free translation programs and tried several of them, but zilch. I have to assume it's a local dialect.

Koala77 11-03-2010 05:35 PM

Thank you everybody.

I wanted to let you know that I now have have my answer.

Google has been unable to translate the text for me because it's not 'normal' Greek.

Rather, it's a local dialect or slang called greeklish which is a combination of Greek and English letters. It was initially started as a way of writing very quickly, and is now a common way of communicating for those in that area.

No wonder I couldn't translate the text. :eek:

Dejibo 11-04-2010 07:59 AM

I have several greek friend on FaceBook, let me ask if anyone there can help. I cant promise, but its worth a shot.

Also someone reccomended this translation site.
http://www.kypros.org/cgi-bin/lexicon/

Koala77 11-04-2010 02:54 PM

Thank you Dej, I have sent you a PM, and thank you everyone else.

I now have the translation I was after.

Dejibo 11-05-2010 07:49 AM

The section that you are looking for says.

*axxx kali mou & ego gia nani pao & polu ekatsa.....pao na to kano post stin antrea!!!!!axxx kali mou & ego gia nani pao & polu ekatsa.....pao na to kano post stin antrea!!!!! Filakia & ta leme....molis tsakosa & to proto froog sto boubino mou & isixasa...glutosa & to pagoma!!!! Filakia....aurio pali!!!!
ta leme....molis tsakosa & to proto froog sto boubino mou & isixasa...glutosa & to pagoma!!!! Filakia....aurio pali!!!!*

Report ah my dear & I'm going for sleep & I stayed for long...i'm going to do post for antrea!!!!!kisses & we will talk...i just grab & the first froog in my boubino & I'm calm now...I escape from frozen!!!!kisses....see you tomorrow!!!!

I am sure if you think about it you can make the nonsense parts into love talk.

Translated by my friend Cathrine who lives in Greece.

Koala77 11-05-2010 02:38 PM

It is rather gushy isn't it, but that's just her being sweet. I do understand now what she was talking about and I thank you very much for asking your friend. Hopefully she'll be back on line in a few days time, and I'll be able to surprise her with the translation.

Thank you again. I really do appreciate you and your friend doing this for me.

GinaGalls 11-22-2010 12:17 PM

If google translator doesn't work, then I'm willing to bet something like ** will not work either. My dad speaks Greek pretty fluently, but unfortunately it would be quite hard for me to get him any of the text. Sorry! My dad doesn't like the computer age.