NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Sticky laptop keys... (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/137709-sticky-laptop-keys.html)

Alffe 11-07-2010 12:43 PM

Sticky laptop keys...

I'm sure someone has told us how to but I can't locate it. I've used "Dusting Air" on this keyboard but it does nothing for sticky keys...How do I clean them? :cool: thanks.

mrsD 11-07-2010 03:40 PM

are you talking about UNDER the keys? I don't think you can fix that, I don't think they come off etc. Jo would know for sure tho.

But my husband smokes a pipe and sometimes he drops a flake of tobacco over the laptop keyboard. When I used his old laptop on vacation 3 keys started to stick. What I did to correct it was to tip the bottom to the side or front and gently tap the back... the offending thing did move finally to an edge and the sticking stopped. (Don't hit it hard, just tap). This might dislodge the bit which is under there. If it is due to some liquid you spilled or something really awful, this might not work.

You can plug in a secondary keyboard and use that if the tapping doesn't work. There are some very inexpensive keyboards out there so it shouldn't cost too much. Under $10 sometimes!

Good luck!

Alffe 11-07-2010 05:13 PM

Thanks Mrs.D...I've never spilled anything on it...I didn't know they made keyboards for laptops....It's about 3 years old and other than the air, I've never cleaned it. :o

Jomar 11-08-2010 12:56 PM

Sorry my monitor croaked on me yesterday so I wasn't able to post his til now.

The keys do come off to clean under them. You can also look on the manufactures website for specific directions on cleaning - they should have that information.

how to clean laptop keyboards -
http://www.google.com/search?q=Stick...ient=firefox-a

Alffe 11-08-2010 03:23 PM

Thanks Jo...guess you know what I'll be doing tonight! :hug:

Peter B 11-10-2010 04:26 AM

sticky keys

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alffe (Post 713492)
I'm sure someone has told us how to but I can't locate it. I've used "Dusting Air" on this keyboard but it does nothing for sticky keys...How do I clean them? :cool: thanks.

Try some of those moistened hand wipes.
You can get the ones specifically for cleaning keyboards, phones etc.
Or a dampened microfibre cloth.

mrsD 11-10-2010 07:14 AM

Well, Alffe....

Did you do it yet? I'd like an update, on how difficult it is, etc, time consuming?

From what I read in some of the links I found using Jo's search, it seemed very complicated, and picky-une!

If my tapping still works, I'll continue with that for now. Sounds like one would need a magnifying glass and special light etc...that type of "close work" can drive me batty sometimes!

Alffe 11-11-2010 05:53 AM

Thanks for all the tips...I tried the wipes and finally "screwed my courage to the sticking point"...no pun intended and popped off, first the M, it's clean as a whistle now, then the L, same result, but the K...didn't come alone..that little round point thing flew off too but I found it before Cassie (our dog) did and it went back together just fine. :o When I get brave again, I'll do some more.

I'm just not very mechanically inclined. :rolleyes:

:grouphug:

perocker245 11-14-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alffe (Post 713492)

Well I used to even own my own computer-maintenane company and this was always a commend problem-dirty/sticky keyboards......basicall, not worth the trouble of cleaning...and you cannot get under the keys (unlesss you have a good high-powered air source like at gas-stations....so the best thing to do is replace the keyboard whenever needed and if you have a lap top, connect an external USB keyboard on your laptop and your in business! That's what I do! Phil Espinoza...

Abbie 11-14-2010 05:00 PM

I clean my laptop keys often... I use rubbing alcohol on q-tips. It cleans well and evaporates quickly.

If I have particularly sticky areas I pop off the key, clean around it with the alcohol and pop the key back on.

Haven't broken a key or anything else yet... knock on wood.... been doing it this way for many years.

:D
Abbie