NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Fluoroquinolone antibiotics SFN (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/137825-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-sfn.html)

rose_thorn98 11-08-2010 06:16 PM

Fluoroquinolone antibiotics SFN

I have taken alot of Cipro & Macrobid over the years for chronic bladder infections. I'd say I take them about 6 times a year. But I had not taken any for several months before my SFN symptoms began. Could you have gotten all over sfn so long after taking the antibiotics or does it come on quickly after you had just taken them?

mrsD 11-08-2010 06:25 PM

It is hard to say.... both drugs are known PN causers.

I have a thread above about this in the Subforum with links.

But knowing you used two drugs, I'd concentrate on supplements that support mitochondrial functions if you hope to enhance any healing that might be possible:

acetyl carnitine
lipoic acid
CoQ-10

smae 11-08-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rose_thorn98 (Post 713913)
I have taken alot of Cipro & Macrobid over the years for chronic bladder infections. I'd say I take them about 6 times a year. But I had not taken any for several months before my SFN symptoms began. Could you have gotten all over sfn so long after taking the antibiotics or does it come on quickly after you had just taken them?

Wow.

I had heard that those types of medicines could cause PN, but I didn't know they were antibiotics.

Because of my PN pain, I had a spinal cord stimulator trial two weeks ago. After the trial, what did they give me as an antibiotic? Levaquin! A fluoroquinolone! How frustrating. I had an allergic reaction to it. I was only on it for 4 days, but why would doctors give that out to someone with PN if it has been shown to cause PN? Stupid.

homer80 11-09-2010 05:00 PM

They definitely do cause neuropathy...Its been 20 months since I took Levaquin and it has not resolved. I do not know if it ever will but these are bad drugs only to be taken in a life or death circumstance.

rose_thorn98 11-10-2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer80 (Post 714218)
They definitely do cause neuropathy...Its been 20 months since I took Levaquin and it has not resolved. I do not know if it ever will but these are bad drugs only to be taken in a life or death circumstance.

Homer, what are your neuropathy symptoms?

NikkiM 11-16-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer80 (Post 714218)

I took Cipro 3 months ago and my peripheral neuropathy began approx 8 days later. since then, i have done a lot of research on fluoroquinolone toxicity, and it seems that these symptoms can show up immediately, as in after one pill, or much later after the drug has been discontinued, as in a year later. also, you can take the drugs prior to having a reaction like that. best to all of you for quick healing.