NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   lump in throat (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/137854-lump-throat.html)

cherryvaliant 11-08-2010 09:34 PM

lump in throat

you guys feel like there is always something stuck in your throat? no problems chewing or swallowing just seems like when i do swallow is slow to go down and after it feels like something is always there

AnnieB3 11-10-2010 09:47 PM

I think you should see your primary doctor and let them know about all of these symptoms. Yes, it could be MG but it could be something else.

Did anyone ever look at your thymus? Have you had your thyroid and thyroid antibodies done lately? Yes, a feeling of a lump in the throat could be MG but it could be other things too.

Please have them do an overall evaluation on you!

Annie

ginnie 11-11-2010 09:32 AM

hi cherry

I had the same feeling a year ago. went into emergency room, and they did the swallow test with LIQUID, I did not have trouble with that, I DID have trouble with food. Now one year later after an MRI for cervical, they found numerous nodes on my thyroid. I go in today to see if I need biopsy. DO go into your doctor and tell him even if it turns out to be nothing. I was not listened to to begin with. ginnie

roguepuppet 11-16-2010 11:22 AM

It is important that you follow up with your Dr. to check this out, but it does not always mean something horrid. I have had a clean CT, no thymus or thyroid issues and my swallow test ( done in a morning) was normal. However, if I talk for more than 15 min straight, or sit in a partially propped position ( laying back, but head up - thus using those neck muscles), I will get exactly that same "something stuck in my throat sensation". It is worse when I am near the end of my med cycle and near time for next dose. If I rest quietly and lay my head back, propped with pillows it will eventually subside.

I hope you get to the bottom of your problem and it is nothing critical.

MomYaYa 11-16-2010 02:58 PM

I do get that. It's one of the things that was 'happening' before I even realized it was happening. lol. Pretty much just how you described it. Just slow to go down. Then it started getting worse and worse.

Now, when I eat, I HAVE to drink to push the food down. If I don't push it down, it doesn't go. I can usually only take about 3 bites of something. Small things I can get away with, but I'll still feel remnants. In fact, I can feel a piece of a candy bar still there. lol! It's gotten a bit worse, in that the drink used to push the food all the way down, but now it only shoves it about mid chest. I've also started to 'almost' choke on my spit a lot, kind of like it going down the wrong tube...

Just keep a watchful eye to make sure you don't choke while you're sorting this out. It might SEEM like you aren't struggling, but the struggle can come on without you even realizing it.

UGH.