NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   If skin Biopsy and Emg are negative....... (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/139019-skin-biopsy-emg-negative.html)

invisable 11-21-2010 05:58 PM

If skin Biopsy and Emg are negative.......

Doesn't this mean one does not have neuropathy?

Tulips 11-21-2010 07:13 PM

Let's start a club!! Both of join first!!! Lol

invisable 11-21-2010 11:10 PM

Yep!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tulips (Post 718430)
Let's start a club!! Both of join first!!! Lol

We are two of a kind, that's for sure!

invisable 11-21-2010 11:14 PM

And to make things more confusing.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by invisable (Post 718485)
We are two of a kind, that's for sure!

A quote from my neuro yesterday..........

"You have neurological symptoms, for which I can find no neurological cause"

Now, I ask you.....how is one supposed to react to that one?!

Tulips 11-21-2010 11:49 PM

Well this is when it gets crazy. My Neuro told me disease can happen else where and create toxins for nerves. Like celiac! Even people with thyroid have these symptoms. So he told me you start investigating other possibilities but it gets crazy.

You are checking Paraneoplastic.

Like for me nephrologist is next as in need to investigate chronic blood in urine without infections.

But, it still can be deficiencies or reaction to some meds.
I know your thought process right now. We are in the same place with this. Going thru things it can be. And it's frustrating. But I am happy there is no real damage. As biopsy and Emg are normal.

Take care

glenntaj 11-22-2010 07:35 AM

Just a repeat post from another thread--

--but one can still get a diagnosis of neuropathy--likely "idiopathic"----if responses to manual nerve testing (which includes pin prick, reflex, and in some cases, monofilament testing), or results on quantitative sensory or abnormal testing (i.e, sudomtor axon reflex test, sweat test, Valsalva maneuver, tilt table) are abnormal. Admittedly, with some of this, one relies on the patient's reports in the absence of "harder, more objective" results.

Then, too, some docs won't give the diagnosis without such "harder, more objective" results.

cyclelops 11-22-2010 08:35 AM

Could it be Central Nervous System related? Brain and spine? That would not show on emg and nerve fiber biopsy. Something infectious? Thyroid?

If it isn't neuropathy, well then it isn't.....but, there are other things.

Sorry you didn't get answers. I am sure it is frustrating.

rose_thorn98 11-22-2010 12:17 PM

Me Too

I belong in this club too. Negative EMG & Skin Biopsy. Been told its not neuropathy. Seeing 3rd neuro on Wednesday. I only have the pain, parasthesias, and dysthesias (sp?) and NO sensory loss....rather its sensory overload.

I'm thankful that I don't have any loss of feeling. I hope that it will stay this way. It is a blessing and a positive in this whole thing.

Here's to us and hoping that we will figure this out eventually!

mrsD 11-22-2010 01:27 PM

I wonder about no numbness....

When my PN started in my feet, it was mostly pain, then progressed to numbness. In my hands, it was mixed. And when I was pregnant the pain in my hands at night was UNBEARABLE and the OB/GYN sent me to a physiatrist immediately, and I had the EMGs showing 20% function remaining and I had one hand done with a steroid shot, my right hand. I wore the braces 24/7 after that until after delivery.

I always had numbness with both hands and feet, and pain was mixed. Tingling also inbetween when the numbness lifted at times.

echoes long ago 11-22-2010 01:48 PM

depending on how long you have had PN an emg can show up negative because not enough damage has been done yet to show up on that test. If your symptoms continue you might want to repeat that test in another year or so and see if something shows then.

For the skin biopsy as Glenn has posted unless you are within a certain percent tile it is not considered Small fiber neuropathy yet. Again it may take a while to show enough damage to be considered a positive test.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind for the future.