NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   A bit of good news, temporarily anyway... (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/139038-bit-news-temporarily-anyway.html)

Dubious 11-21-2010 10:29 PM

A bit of good news, temporarily anyway...

Two or slightly more months ago, I was having some of the most intense pain that I have had in the last almost 3 years of this nastiness. New symptoms started by way of intense intermittent burning of the back of my neck and shoulder.

This forced doubling up on more SGB (#12 and 13, I think) but also my PM doc added a suprascapular nerve block. Understand that none of the pain is ever gone at any one time, but the combination of the three seems to have quieted (not eliminated) my arm symptoms for the longest run yet; 2 months! While the intense shoulder burning returned within a week or two, the usual arm and hand symptoms while not gone, are better. Curiously, my symptomatic hand still measures almost 2 degrees C. colder than my good side and of course, still turns funny colors. But I'll gladly take the 2 month dimunition! Of course today my arm did burn and turn red for 5 minutes or so as a reminder that it still lives...

fmichael 11-22-2010 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubious (Post 718479)
Two or slightly more months ago, I was having some of the most intense pain that I have had in the last almost 3 years of this nastiness. New symptoms started by way of intense intermittent burning of the back of my neck and shoulder.

This forced doubling up on more SGB (#12 and 13, I think) but also my PM doc added a suprascapular nerve block. Understand that none of the pain is ever gone at any one time, but the combination of the three seems to have quieted (not eliminated) my arm symptoms for the longest run yet; 2 months! While the intense shoulder burning returned within a week or two, the usual arm and hand symptoms while not gone, are better. Curiously, my symptomatic hand still measures almost 2 degrees C. colder than my good side and of course, still turns funny colors. But I'll gladly take the 2 month dimunition! Of course today my arm did burn and turn red for 5 minutes or so as a reminder that it still lives...

Glad to hear the block worked, after three years no less! But looking over what you've posted, it looks like it was within 2 - 3 months of "spread" to an entirely new area, which has been suggested to have the effect of perhaps restarting the CRPS clock, i.e. giving you a fresh ("acute") case of the thing. (References available upon request.)

If that's the case, I would pound the heck out of that area with as many blocks as you can schedule over the next month or two. This may be a real opportunity. . . .

Mike

finz 11-23-2010 05:17 AM

That's great.....I'm happy for you that you could find some relief.

Now I'm off to look up suprascapular nerve blocks !

SandyRI 11-23-2010 05:39 PM

I was thinking the same thing yesterday when I read this....!!

Congrats dubious...I am very happy for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finz (Post 718981)
That's great.....I'm happy for you that you could find some relief.

Now I'm off to look up suprascapular nerve blocks !