NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   IVIG infusion at home? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/139194-ivig-infusion-home.html)

catie 11-23-2010 05:19 PM

IVIG infusion at home?

Hi!
I have been approved for IVIG infusions. The neuro answered a lot of my questions at my appointment; however I was a little surprised when the office called back today and wanted to set it up to be done at home. I'm OK with transitioning to infusions at home, but thought it'd be safer to have the first dose done in an outpatient setting.

I plan to search older posts, but I hope that anyone on the forum who has recent experience with IVIG treatment could fill me in a bit on their experience. Thanks!

Cate

tysondouglass 11-23-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catie (Post 719195)
Hi!
I have been approved for IVIG infusions. The neuro answered a lot of my questions at my appointment; however I was a little surprised when the office called back today and wanted to set it up to be done at home. I'm OK with transitioning to infusions at home, but thought it'd be safer to have the first dose done in an outpatient setting.

I plan to search older posts, but I hope that anyone on the forum who has recent experience with IVIG treatment could fill me in a bit on their experience. Thanks!

Cate

Cate, your in luck! Recently (the past 3-4 months) I have been having IVIG infusions at my college (IN MY DORM!) I was also a little bit skeptical on having a nurse sit my room for 5 hours while i sleep/rest and get the treatment.

I was nervous at first about having it done in my room, but it has worked out so much better than going to the hospital. Along with the medicine and the proper necesities to get the treatment done the company sends an anaphylactic shock kit, which is really the only BAD thing that can go wrong.

Other than that, the procedure is very simple and un complicated.

If you have any other questions, let me know!

catie 11-23-2010 07:44 PM

Tyson,
Thanks for responding. This is all new to me and happening faster than I had anticipated (which is a good thing, I guess). And, yes, I am nervous.

How many days in a row of treatment did you get? I've heard anywhere from 2-5 days; Did you have a regular IV line placed or a PICC line?
Cate

djvallejo 11-23-2010 10:06 PM

Cate,

My husband just started getting IVIG in September. The first round was done at an infusion center because the neuro felt it is safer for the first time, to make sure he didn't have any complications. He went for 3 days.
At the end of October he did 5 days at home and is scheduled for the same every 8 wks for the next 6 months. So far, it has not given him much improvement but it is helping to maintain the improvement he has had since having a thymectomy in Sept 2009.
I hope this helps & good luck!

Alison