NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Jim has made a decision to stop Betaseron (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/139336-jim-decision-stop-betaseron.html)

SandyC 11-25-2010 03:43 PM

Jim has made a decision to stop Betaseron

He finally made his decision. It's been a little over a month since he stopped Betaseron and he feels much better. He really didn't stop, but was taking time off because he wasn't doing well weening off the Dantrolene. But we talked about it and he said he's done with it. He will give it one year and then have a MRI done and if it shows no new lesions he will stay off the shot. It took him a long time to make this decision and it had to be on his own. Yes, there are risks because maybe it is working, but there's also a chance it's not. We may request the antibody testing to be done in the spring just to be more sure.

The good news is now he can ween off Zoloft since it was the Beta causing his depression. Next week we go down to Springfield to hopefully get our medical cannabis bill passed. If that happens Jim may be able to get off almost all his medications! He hates the Methadone.

So that's Jim's update. If anyone is interested in watching our bill get pulled for a vote you can go to ILGA.gov and watch it live in the House. Our sponsor Rep Lang plans to introduce patients and Jim is one of them.

Blessings2You 11-25-2010 04:23 PM

That's a big decision, and it certainly sounds as though he didn't make it lightly. I hope all goes well. Sometimes a friend will ask me if the Copaxone is working, and I'll think "How would I know?" You and Jim will be in my prayers.

SandyC 11-25-2010 06:20 PM

Thanks B2Y and Sally. It took him years to make this decision so it was well thought out. And it's not the end all either. If in a year his MRI shows active lesions, then he'll be more than happy to go back on it. For now, we'll wait and see. Maybe by then research will have found something better. He's taken these shots since 1988 and still ended up in the wheelchair so who knows? He's SPMS and flairs never come anymore. Seems the shots are best suited for those who have frequent flairs and it helps slow the progression. Guess he's doing his own study. :wink:

Dejibo 11-25-2010 06:56 PM

stopping copaxone was one of the hardest and best decisions I made. Good luck! :hug:

Debbie D 11-26-2010 12:10 PM

Hope that Jim continues to feel better now!!

SallyC 11-26-2010 12:23 PM

:circlelove: (((((Jim))))) :circlelove:

Kitty 11-26-2010 12:27 PM

Stopping Beta was one of the best decisions I ever made. I hope Jim starts to feel better. Sometimes giving our bodies a rest from the assault of all these medications that are supposed to be helpful is the best thing we can do. I wish him the best. :hug:

SandyC 11-26-2010 12:41 PM

Thanks you guys. :hug:

NurseNancy 11-26-2010 02:56 PM

hi sandy, and jim,

thanks for the update.
i hope jim holds his own off the shots.

you both have a great x-mas season. :hug:

barb02 11-26-2010 04:19 PM

I will be watching Springfield next week when I can. Is it scheduled for the 30th? Hope it goes well!