NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Dbs (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/139498-dbs.html)

Yam1 11-28-2010 12:25 PM

Dbs

I have not been around because i have been busy recovering from Bi-lateral DBS surgery. It was a grueling experience. but it gave me my life back. I still need some additional programming and realize that I am in this for life, however long that will be. Our health insurance paid for most of the cost. I had much to be thankful for this thansgiving.

jeanb 11-28-2010 12:46 PM

welcome back!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam1 (Post 720406)
I have not been around because i have been busy recovering from Bi-lateral DBS surgery. It was a grueling experience. but it gave me my life back. I still need some additional programming and realize that I am in this for life, however long that will be. Our health insurance paid for most of the cost. I had much to be thankful for this thansgiving.

Yam1, I am so happy for you and I hope you continue to do well. :hug:

Jean

Yam1 11-28-2010 11:11 PM

Thank you

Thanks for the good thoughts, you are sweet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanb (Post 720409)
Yam1, I am so happy for you and I hope you continue to do well. :hug:

Jean

Fowki 11-29-2010 01:45 AM

God bless you!

My DBS was done 06.22.2010 and is nothing short of a miracle!

I still get my "tune ups" on a sixty day cycle, but WHAT A VAST change oin QOL....

Keep us posted!!

made it up 11-29-2010 05:26 PM

Me too

Yam and Fowki,
I agree with both of you. I'm almost 7 yrs post DBS and remain eternally grateful for it.
Jean, you have a kind and positive attitude which I really admire.
Cheers,
Lee

Fowki 01-27-2011 04:25 PM

Update

Had my DBS 06.22.2010 and am now COMPLETELY DRUG FREE!!!

Still getting tuned up about every 60 days, but that is a small burden to bear for this incredible freedom!! At the programming sessions, the neuro always takes the settings down to zero at least once and I sit back in amazemennt and wonder how I ever lived liked that....it is perfectly awful what my body does without intervention.

I am SO grateful for my neuro and neurosurgeon....they have truly given me my quality of life back.

If you are considering DBS, please feel free to PM me with any questions, fears, concerns that may be impacting your decision. I'd be happy to share my experiences with you! :grouphug:

bluedahlia 01-27-2011 08:41 PM

I had mine on December 20th and feel so good I still can't believe it.

Yam1 01-28-2011 12:59 PM

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and words. I unfortunately had a small (?) set-back, On Christmas Eve as I was going down to our basement to do laundry and I missed the bottom stair and fell. It was awful, I sprained both of my ankles - my left shoe even came off! I have never sprained or broken anything before and I was afraid I had broken them, it hurt terribly. The Orthopedist called it a stage 2 sprain - a four to six week recovery. Fortunately my husband was home - he carried me up the stairs, otherwise I would have been stuck until someone came home. It was that bad. I am so careful going up/down stairs now, (we have a three story house) and I carry my cell phone in a pocket always now. My ankles are now feeling much better. But I am wary of hurting them again.

jeanb 01-29-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam1 (Post 739467)
Thanks for all your kind thoughts and words. I unfortunately had a small (?) set-back, On Christmas Eve as I was going down to our basement to do laundry and I missed the bottom stair and fell. It was awful, I sprained both of my ankles - my left shoe even came off! I have never sprained or broken anything before and I was afraid I had broken them, it hurt terribly. The Orthopedist called it a stage 2 sprain - a four to six week recovery. Fortunately my husband was home - he carried me up the stairs, otherwise I would have been stuck until someone came home. It was that bad. I am so careful going up/down stairs now, (we have a three story house) and I carry my cell phone in a pocket always now. My ankles are now feeling much better. But I am wary of hurting them again.

Oh yam, how awful! I am glad your ankles are better now. Good idea to carry the cell phone. Be well!

Jean

Floridagal 01-31-2011 11:05 AM

Post DBS

HI I am in the DBS club now as well. most of my tremor is gone. I have had two adjustments thus far. I am definitely not perfect but i am better. I do have some concerns that this might be the best i can be, likely because i went through alot to get it & want MORE. Truthfully though, if it turned out that the condition i am in now is the best i will be, well I will still be so glad I did it. not shaking is GREAT. I wish all of you the best, dbs or not. it is definitely not for everyone. Take care! FG