NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Ativan (lorazepam) for Muscle Spasms . . . (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/139712-ativan-lorazepam-muscle-spasms.html)

tkrik 12-01-2010 11:53 AM

Ativan (lorazepam) for Muscle Spasms . . .

Just wondering how many of you take lorazepam for muscle spasms and did you eventually get used to the drowsy side effects?

Baclofen is out for me unless I want to spend my life feeling hung over and grumpy. NOT!!! Valium is great but then I sleep all the time, even on a wee little baby dose. So the neuro prescribed lorazepam. I normally don't take it and just deal but as of late, I really need to keep my mobility smooth, be as pain free as possible, and be able to drive. Any suggestions, comments, or ideas would be great.

Debbie D 12-01-2010 12:05 PM

No, my neuro prescribed zanaflex after I weaned off of baclofen, which didn't work well for me. I started with the tablets, but switched to the capsules because the tabs didn't work well, either.
Keep us up to date on how it's working...:hug:

SallyC 12-01-2010 01:51 PM

I used to take valium, but only at night or naptime. I hated Baclofen. I have a friend who took Ativan at night. I'm not taking anything now but will still take an occasional Valium, if needed.

I try to deal with only exerise now, because I hate the drugged up feeling and the hangovers.

NurseNancy 12-01-2010 02:59 PM

as far as i know, and i may be wrong, but ativan is used for anxiety and to help you sleep. i don't think it's a good drug for muscle tightness, spasms.

barb02 12-01-2010 04:05 PM

I occasionally take clonazepam for spasticity. But I only take 1/2 of a pill, and usually it is at night. My only experience with lorazeapm if that I have taken prior to a few of my MRI's. It did not make me sleepy; just relaxed me a bit. I am not sure about driving while taking it.

Baclofen did not work for me even at 60 mg and did not make me sleepy. Zanaflex made me nauseated.

lefthanded 12-01-2010 04:21 PM

When my symptoms over-ride all the meds, meditation, and relaxation techniques I throw at them, Ativan has given me that extra relaxation to regain some control over pain. Getting it prescribed, though, is not so easy.

Snoopy 12-01-2010 05:12 PM

Hi TK,

Lorazepam, as well as the Valium you took are in a category of meds called Benzodiazepine.

I have not taken Lorazepam but I do use Klonopin which is also a Benzo. Klonopin has become a multi-purpose med for me. It does help with spasticity and pain but I found at a high dose (6 mg) it caused leg weakness.

As far as drowsiness (personal experience) -- I react strangely with meds and benzos are no different. I have used Klonopin on a regular basis but I have also taken it only as needed. My reaction each time is always a suprise. Sometimes it makes me tired, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes I feel more alert on it.

Sometimes I am okay to drive after taking Klonopin, sometimes I'm not.

Unfortunately, most medications used to treat spasticity causes drowsiness.

Aarcyn 12-01-2010 07:30 PM

I take Lorazepam for anxiety. Maybe it is also for spasms. The sx's kinda go together...

dmplaura 12-02-2010 08:51 AM

I'm with Snoops and Barb on the Klonopin.

Mine helps my burning mouth, but has some very other nice side effects - my sensory symptoms (buzzing, tingling etc) decreased immensely, I was able to quit smoking cold turkey on it (from a very unhealthy 2 pack a day habit), it lowered my anxiety levels tremendously, and ultimately my stress levels... I can't say enough good things about the drug for what it's done for me.

I only take .25 mg 3 times daily. Very low dose.

For spasms, I upped my bedtime dose to .5 mg instead of my regular .25mg during a leg spam incident lasting a few nights, and it helped tremendously then too. :) Was able to get through that and back to my lower dose.

The problems with Klonopin are that it's very habit forming, and tough to taper off (I've never fully stopped since I started taking it, but I know from missing a dose, the body reminds me!).

jacksonsmommy 12-02-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkrik (Post 721413)
Just wondering how many of you take lorazepam for muscle spasms and did you eventually get used to the drowsy side effects?

Before my CCSVI treatment, I used to take 1 ativan just before bed to help with the restless legs/myclonus. The only time I would take it during the day was if the muscle spasms got really violent. I did find that it made me drowsy though.