NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Which is it RSD or CRPS (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/139879-rsd-crps.html)

hurting 12-03-2010 05:23 AM

Which is it RSD or CRPS

I was wondering why most people say they have RSD instead of CRPS I or II. Is there any difference between the two because very few people here use CRPS.
Only reason why I ask is that 6 doctors have told me that I have CRPS Type II not RSD over the past 3 years.

ali12 12-03-2010 06:45 AM

Most of the Doctors I have seen have diagnosed me with CRPS instead of RSD. CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome) is the "newer" term for RSD that Doctors tend to use nowadays.

When telling my friends or family about my illness, I usually call it RSD as it sounds more medical. To me, CRPS just sounds like the Doctors don't really know what is wrong so have just come up with a quick name for it. CRPS is sometimes easier to understand though!:rolleyes:

RSD/CRPS type 1 doesn't have any nerve lesions
RSD/CRPS type 2 has evidence of obvious nerve damage.

I hope this has helped somewhat.

Alison x

pacman 04-17-2012 03:50 PM

I feel that it's CRAPS cause thats how I feel all the time LOL

Dubious 04-17-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hurting (Post 722038)
I was wondering why most people say they have RSD instead of CRPS I or II. Is there any difference between the two because very few people here use CRPS.
Only reason why I ask is that 6 doctors have told me that I have CRPS Type II not RSD over the past 3 years.

Also, the prior vernacular of CRPS II was Causalgia. Older physicians will still have a tendancy to refer to the syndrome collectively as RSD or Causalgia where the younger ones are more in line with CRPS I and II. Not that it matters a whole lot as very few of them would recognize a CRPS patient if it bit them on thier donkey.

saraleeCRPS 04-25-2012 10:41 PM

They are both the same the older term was RSD new term now CRPS.

painman2009 04-26-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saraleeCRPS (Post 873524)
They are both the same the older term was RSD new term now CRPS.

wow. in all of my searches (and craps unfortunately isn't one of the terms) I have actually found Drs use crps in many stages not just I and II. but I have found that RSD is the term that was used because the syndrome effects the sympathetic and parasympathetic nerves. also different drs use different symptoms to categorize what stage you are. such as if nerve blocks don't work u r stage one etc.etc. but what I have seen as universal is RSD/CRPS is different for each person as much as it is the same. some it spreads quickly in while others have no spread or even that much desired remission. does this mean they have something different. I think not basically we all have a nerve issue that causes us pain where as in a normal surrounding we should not. In other terms the doctors are clueless and are trying to put some kind of name to what they don't quite understand yet. we are the people the Drs are turning to for info and they compile the info. and try to peace it together. unfortunately we are a minority so we don't get the recognition and or fundings we need to really map this sucker out so we must make do with what they got and what ever name they come up with. I like craps better. cause its a crappy infliction and its like playing craps with out such good odds. but even into the rain a little light must shine.