NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Anyone else rack up other injuries while in PCS? And Daily Strength... (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/140503-else-rack-injuries-pcs-daily-strength.html)

Jeffrey 12-10-2010 11:45 PM

Anyone else rack up other injuries while in PCS? And Daily Strength...

It's been a rocky recovery for me.

Scratch to the cornea when a toddler rore off my glasses.

Nasty heart pains for a while after running for quite a while to the eye appointment for above problem. Very worst problem since the TBI. Thankfully these pains are gone.

After a few months, my right knee is still a bit stiff/popping from a dumb accident with a chair. Right pinkie is a bit stiff from crushing it between the chair armrest & table. Ditto w/right forarm.

Banged a front tooth w/a heavy glass while trying to drink water while drowsy in the middle of the night & in the dark (bad idea). This might need a root canal, hopefully not.

Occasional minor bangs to the head around the shower, cleaning, etc.

And now the taxi incident to my neck.

I find I heal less quickly even from minor finger bumps, etc. while in PCS.

Just wondering if anyone else is going through this.

I wish it was just the headache...

Oh and if anyone goes to the forums at Daily Strength.

Thanks for reading!

worstislucky 12-11-2010 03:53 AM

Hi Jeff,

I feel like I've been more clumsy and unfocused after my concussion which seems to cause more accidents. I feel like my body cannot sense the walls or structures around me as easily as I did before so I am more likely to run into them. Time feels slow motion and then it seems like it catches up all of a sudden. Luckily, I usually catch myself before I run into them.

Good luck to you!

Jeffrey 12-11-2010 11:07 PM

Thanks. I hope you avoid painful accidents.

Mine seem serious enought to last for weeks or months, which bothers me.
All I do is try to not get hurt & pray.

Mark in Idaho 12-12-2010 02:04 AM

I think I have you beat, as if that is something to be proud of. I cut the end of my little finger off with a circular saw. $4000 medical bill for ER and outpatient surgery just to cut the bone shorter so there was enough skin to stitch over the end. Prior to that, I shot a nail into my palm with a pneumatic nail gun.

My biggest problem with getting hurt is simple. My brain can not keep track of both hands at the same time. It shows up in my typing. I get letters out of order. I spend a lot of time correcting my typos. Especially when the word has letters that call for alternate hands to type each sequential letter.

fyi, Sequencing problems is a common symptom of PCS.

I have worked with saws and other power tools for 40 years without cutting my hands, etc. Now, I have a Tim Taylor room at the ER. LOL

When I cut my finger off, my friend who took me to the hospital called my wife to tell her. Her response was "I am not surprised."

I have also banged into things like Jeffrey said. Sometimes, my brain thinks I am walking around a corner but my legs don't get the message.

I have learned to stay away from ladders.

I have two sets of orthotics supports for my feet. Yesterday, I tried to put a left one in each shoe. The right foot did not feel right at all.

I was trying to loosen a tight bolt earlier today. I kept tightening it. Duhhhhh. Righty tighty..lefty loosey. Do it backwards and it just makes the tight bolt even tighter.

And, I used to own and fly a high performance single engine airplane.

You just have to learn to laugh.

My best to you.

aggieteacher04 12-16-2010 01:18 AM

I totally agree with the statements about feeling clumsy. I am constantly running into walls and catching the edges of tables. I just don't seem to have the same spatial awareness as before. I also spend much more time fixing typos when I am typing or texting. I never really put this together until I read this post. I just was getting overly frustrated, and now I know I just need to take a deep breath and relax. Thanks!