NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   SCS & Pain Pumps (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/)
-   -   need your help fellow scs people!! (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/141560-help-fellow-scs-people.html)

irljenn 12-24-2010 03:37 PM

need your help fellow scs people!!

dont know if this is even possible but have been struggling these last few days and dont know if its just post surgery stuff or if i have a problem

my burning in my legs came back with a bang but its more a hot itchy legs then the burning pain of before. now today i took an anti histimanine tablet and everything settled down and went back to blissful pain relief can you be allergic to your device ? or is this just a coincidence?? little confused and dont want to call rep and sound like a hypo chondriac either so though i would pass it by my very smart scs buddies?

Mark56 12-24-2010 03:44 PM

Not experienced here

Sorry Jenna-
I have not experienced this phenomenon at all.

Hope you resolve this soon!
Mark56:hug:

irljenn 12-24-2010 04:56 PM

thanks Mark for responding ! i am probably just going NUTS!!

tchr012 12-24-2010 08:08 PM

?

Quote:

Originally Posted by irljenn (Post 728616)
dont know if this is even possible but have been struggling these last few days and dont know if its just post surgery stuff or if i have a problem

my burning in my legs came back with a bang but its more a hot itchy legs then the burning pain of before. now today i took an anti histimanine tablet and everything settled down and went back to blissful pain relief can you be allergic to your device ? or is this just a coincidence?? little confused and dont want to call rep and sound like a hypo chondriac either so though i would pass it by my very smart scs buddies?

Jenna, I am not sure about this either...I have never had that happen. I only have the tingling with burning pain and then my legs go numb. Maybe you should tell your doctor or your rep because it is better safe than sorry! If anything they might be able to tell you something that would help you feel better or alleviate your anxiousness ;) Also, my rep always tells me to call/text him ANY time I have a problem because I always get embarrassed and dont want to bother them but he always said that it is not a bother and is part of their job :) take care!

Mark56 12-25-2010 02:11 AM

Jenna talk to your rep

Especially with this sort of unusual phenomenon, maybe they have something about which they can chime in, goodness, it is their technology. Nothing you have to ask them is silly, nuts, or off base. Now since Tara has said she has not experienced it, I would especially take it to your rep, as Tara has been around the block a lot longer than any of us and she has experienced some bad pain scenarios.

Pulling and praying for you,

pooh_ac 12-25-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Are you taking any new medications, or maybe a pain medication. Sounds more like an allerigic reaction. If it was your unit you should start seeing pain at the site of your generator or your leads, not in your legs. Also did you develope any hives or raised patches that itched worse then the other areas. One time I did not believe I was allergic to a penicillin, but noted increased "bites" within an hour of taking my pill, took several doses and the breakout of hives for me to decide yes indeedy I was allergic to the medication (you would think a nurse would pick up on that sooner:eek:)
Let us know how u are doin
:grouphug::hug:z

Rrae 12-25-2010 09:38 PM

Yes, please DO call your Dr!

Not to sound 'dramatic', but PLEASE don't EVER hesitate to call your Dr or the Reps! Especially since you are the first in the country to receive this new unit! That's what they are for! They certainly care about your welfare.... PLUS Since you are the first recipient, they are gonna want to know anything and everything from your standpoint as a patient!

I'm sorry you are experiencing this strange discomfort,...but am glad you knew to take the antihistamine to calm things down.

I hope you are keeping a journal on your experience with this. They undoubtedly will want to know every detail you have to share....ESPECIALLY anything that seems out of the 'norm'!

I hope you are feeling better!
Rae
:grouphug:

As an afterthought as I had posted this, I wondered if it could perhaps have anything to do with any medications you might be weaning off of? I'm not sure what type of medication schedule you've been on, but if you've been on pain meds for quite awhile, is there a possibility it might have something to do with withdrawaling from any of these meds, or if there might be some sort of a hyperaesthesia factor going on (Also known as 'Rebound Pain')

tinkster 12-26-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

I have not had the type of buring pain you are talking about, nor was it relieved with an antihistamine. However, since surgery my Leg is really bothering me, I assume its because the nerves get inflamed and it takes them awhile to calm down (thats what the doctor said with my fusion surgery). what is troubling to me is HOW badly it hurts and the stim is not covering the pain..
Hope you get some answers and feel better.

Saffy 12-27-2010 09:03 AM

Have you managed to get this sorted?

Mark56 12-27-2010 04:12 PM

Hi Tinkster

I fail to understand why the stim is not covering your nerve pain unless the programming is not adequate to your needs, This should be covered with your doc, because after the stim surgery I was not warned that the nerves would be extra sensitive; rather, that I would hurt from the surgical pain like "normal" until it subsided [ they meant "like normal" for me because I have had so many surgeries ]. So, were I you, I think I would be in touch with my stim rep and ask about why are the nerves on fire and not being covered by your activated unit. Yep, pronto.

Feel better soon,
Praying,