NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   antibiotics and neuro pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/141818-antibiotics-neuro-pain.html)

zorro1 12-29-2010 11:36 AM

antibiotics and neuro pain

post canceled.

original post stated I had dramatic increase in PN after starting antibiotics and Quitting 2mg of Zanax

mrsD 12-29-2010 12:09 PM

What are the antibiotics?

Stopping Xanax does activate nerve pain, too.

Might be a combination of both?

zorro1 12-29-2010 12:12 PM

oh now its confusing I just canceled my post because i researched and found they were levequin based.

zorro1 12-29-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorrro13 (Post 729660)
oh now its confusing I just canceled my post because i researched and found they were levequin based.

the 2000mg was Azithromycin
2oomg/day was doxycycline

took 4 cipro tablets as well

mrsD 12-29-2010 12:35 PM

The first 2 typically don't cause nerve issues.

The Cipro of course, is different. Usually fluoroquinolones need some time for damage...but that may vary amongst individuals.

The author of Bitter Pills, Stephen Fried, said his wife had a seizure on Floxin, and was left with permanent epilepsy from one regular dose.

Sometimes the type of infection is such that you have to take the fluoroquinolone... in that case taking some Vit E may help.
Do not use steroids or NSAIDs while taking either. Those seem to magnify the risk.

zorro1 12-29-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 729672)
The first 2 typically don't cause nerve issues.

The Cipro of course, is different. Usually fluoroquinolones need some time for damage...but that may vary amongst individuals.

The author of Bitter Pills, Stephen Fried, said his wife had a seizure on Floxin, and was left with permanent epilepsy from one regular dose.

Sometimes the type of infection is such that you have to take the fluoroquinolone... in that case taking some Vit E may help.
Do not use steroids or NSAIDs while taking either. Those seem to magnify the risk.

I was on BOTH . predisnone as well and celebrex. I only took 4 cipro tabs so hopefully the damage is not long term.

Initially i had tendanitous in both feet( side effect of cipro?). Thought it was gout hence the steroids. The last few days my PN has gone ballastic with crushing vice like pain in the feet , electric shocks, you name it..along with shivers and skin burning around the body etc.

only have 4 more doxycycline (non fluro) 100mg tabs to take to complete the dosage..

mrsD 12-29-2010 02:03 PM

Yuk... take a look at Dr. Cohen's website for OTC interventions for quinolone damage....It is on my "drugs that may cause PN" thread in the subforum.

No one yet knows what causes the tendon deterioration by these drugs...so preventing tendon ruptures still is not available.

If you had a Herx reaction, to all the drugs at once... that could account for the shivering and skin sensations. That may pass.
A Herxheimer reactions is when bacteria die off suddenly and flood the body with toxins. It usually passes in a few days. Not everyone gets it, and it is dependent on how high the bacterial titres were.

zorro1 12-29-2010 07:13 PM

thanks mrsd. For the first time In 7 days I just awoke feeling better (hoping it lasts). I really screwed Up with that cocktail! Also read up on Bitter Pills.

"Stephen Fried's wife took a pill for a minor infection--and ended up in the ... was terribly sore from clenching against what we assumed had been a seizure"

scary stuff. Was reading an earlier post where somebody on these threads had a a spinal chord stimulator procedure for PN and then the doc gave her a course of anti biotics (fluros) , That person Had an allergic reaction to boot. Increadable!

zorro1 12-31-2010 01:39 AM

As it turns out, Im not getting better Im getting worse. The P/N in my feet has doubled in 7 days

symptoms

they were numb with shocks and occasional burning 2-5 (300mg lyrica)

now

A constant flow of electric current/pulse/ non stop vibrations/ burning with shocks 5-8 (nearly biting through lip but they not frequent) and increased numbness both feet bet especially around my left ankle near where i had the tendentiousness.The worms in my feet now feel like eels. 300mg lyrica not touching it.

One thing I need to mention is this also coincided with the arrival to an Island in Thailand. There is a low pressure system that hasn't left with rain n wind and this has effected me before but never to this extent.

I stopped taking all antibiotics yesterday.