NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Vaccine update...closest we come to a cure (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/142031-vaccine-update-closest-cure.html)

Conductor71 01-01-2011 02:09 PM

Vaccine update...closest we come to a cure

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but when I read this news; I thought it's only day one of the new year and already life is better!
Not only will Affiris begin clinical trials on its new vaccine, but it looks like other pharmas are starting to take an interest in developing immunotherapy for PD. There are three things happening on the vaccine scene; Affiris, U Nebraska, and now Biogen acuires rights to develop immunotherapy for PD. The total pacakge went for a cool $427 mill. The cost alone says to me that they think they are onto something big!

Bioworld Article

The immunotherapy or vaccine aims to stop the alpha-synuclein protein from misbehaving. It has halted disease process in animal models. While this is not a cure, with something like PD that most likely has several different origins, it would be highly unlikely a one size fits all cure might be found. This is the first time ever that a treatment targets the cause of the disease. Meanwhile, the U of Nebraska is onto this but is struggling to find a pharmaceutical partner...

Well, I seem to be the only one excited by this lately but just wanted to share anyway.

Laura

girija 01-01-2011 02:47 PM

good news!

Hi Laura,
Thanks! Yes, 1-1-11 started on a good note. Considering that Biogen-IDEK has successfully marketed immunotherapeutics for cancer, I hope they can do the same for a PD vaccine.

Girija

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conductor71 (Post 730596)
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but when I read this news; I thought it's only day 1 of the new year and already life is better!

Affiris sold the patent rights to Biogen for its PD vaccine for a cool $427 mill.

Bioworld Article

The vaccine aims to stop the alpha-synuclein protein from misbehaving. It has halted disease process in animal models. While this is not a cure, with something like PD that most likely has several different origins, it would be highly unlikely a one size fits all cure might be found. This is the first time ever that a treatment targets the cause of the disease. Meanwhile, the U of Nebraska is onto this but is struggling to find a pharmaceutical partner...

Well, I seem to be the only one excited by this lately but just wanted to share anyway.

Laura

jeanb 01-01-2011 10:01 PM

Uab

I was talking to ken from Alabama the other day and he said scientists at UAB are working on a vaccine. Is it the same ?

Jean

Conductor71 01-02-2011 01:30 AM

Kind of

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanb (Post 730705)
I was talking to ken from Alabama the other day and he said scientists at UAB are working on a vaccine. Is it the same ?

Jean

Both schools are collaborating on developing therapeutics based on findings of Howard Gendelman. Alabama is currently studying T cells in PWP and will tackle early phases of design (safety in humans, dosages, etc.) on the vaccine.

Parkinson Vaccine Announced

This is what I just do not understand...this question has essentially already been answered in Europe. I don't think clinical trials, which begin this year in Austria, would ignore the need to establish these things. Isn't this like two years of redundant effort? Affiris is beginning efficacy trials this year. If it is found that this vaccine does actually work in the way it is supposed to; isn't it inhumane for the FDA to not approve almost immediately usage of a similar vaccine, one that alters the very same misguided Alpha-synuclein.

In the meanwhile, how do we sign on for the trials in Austira? lol

Laura