NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/)
-   -   Metalic taste in mouth? (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/142047-metalic-taste-mouth.html)

GFRice 01-01-2011 06:31 PM

Metalic taste in mouth?

Hi - New to the forums and already getting a lot of helpful info and advice. Thank you. I have food allergies and also just discovered through enterolab testing that I am sensitive to gluten, soy, egg, yeast, and caesin (sp?).

I have a quick question for now. I've noticed in the past before I have an allergic reaction to a food, I sometimes get a metallic taste in my mouth. Does anyone else recognize this as a symptom of either gluten sensitivity --- or another condition?

Thanks in advance.

JustWeave 01-01-2011 07:28 PM

Welcome to the forums and gluten free club. Enterolab had me joining the later almost three years ago.

I don't remember a metalic taste being on my very long symptoms list. I do however vaguely remember it happening to me and being medication/ supplement related.

Wishing you a healthy new year.

GFRice 01-01-2011 10:33 PM

Thanks, JW. I had casually heard of it mentioned that some people get this sensation before an allergic reaction to whatever food they've eaten. I think there may have been an article on it and I'll like to find it. Just did an internet search quickly and it is associated with food allergy --- but I'm still looking for a source that dissects it more thoroughly. I wondered if any gluten sensitives experienced it too. Cheers.

Twinkletoes 01-02-2011 10:28 AM

I am no medical expert, but I watch a lot of those "untold" ER stories. I do remember one where the lady who was experiencing a metallic taste (and probably other sx) was finally discovered to have a leak in her spinal fluid. It was the spinal fluid that she could taste!

I hope this doesn't apply to you, but thought you'd want to know.

GFRice 01-05-2011 09:48 PM

Thanks Twinkle Toes, I'll keep that in mind. It only happens occasionally; looking up metallic taste online, it shows a bunch of different things it can be. But somewhere, there's a good article on how it relates to food sensitivities. Will post if find.

windrivermaiden 03-29-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GFRice (Post 730679)
Hi - New to the forums and already getting a lot of helpful info and advice. Thank you. I have food allergies and also just discovered through enterolab testing that I am sensitive to gluten, soy, egg, yeast, and caesin (sp?).

I have a quick question for now. I've noticed in the past before I have an allergic reaction to a food, I sometimes get a metallic taste in my mouth. Does anyone else recognize this as a symptom of either gluten sensitivity --- or another condition?

Thanks in advance.

I find that some GF foods have a sort of metallic taste. I think it is the taste of creme of tartar which is often used in GF. I find it most often after eating chocolate cake. (which is unfortunately my favorite).