NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Immune System Shot Anyone? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/142202-immune-system-shot.html)

Margarite 01-03-2011 02:15 PM

Immune System Shot Anyone?

I don't know why, but I was never sick before and since my 3rd concussion I have caught everything that goes around and it always knocks me out for a week or so.

There could be a flu that people get over in a day and it takes me at least five and I have to spend most of that time in bed or feeling like I should be in bed. I have been sick more often in the past 2 years than I have in the previous 15!

It is really frustrating! If I could just deal with the pcs stuff that would be hard enough, but this added to it means that if I have a bad PCS day I can't skip classes because later in the semester I might get a flu knocking me out for a week.

When I say I can't get out of bed I mean that every time I get up to get a drink of water I almost fall down because I am so weak and dizzy. Also I usually feel like getting a second look at breakfast whenever I change positions... Taking an 18 credit hour semester in College it is really tough dealing with this.

Basically I have given up fixing it, that will come with time, but I am wondering if anyone else has this problem?

Merry Christmas,
Margarite

Mark in Idaho 01-03-2011 07:54 PM

Immune systems can be big drains on other body systems. I would suggest researching how to build up your immune system. It take quite a long time to truly strengthen an immune system but there are short term things that can be done. Research shows that using anti-bacterial soap with Triclosan can actually weaken the immune system. Vitamin and supplement therapy helps but has to be a long term process.

An 18 credit hour schedule sounds like an awful heavy load on a body, especially one that is compromised.

In my experience, keeping a strong immune system has benefited my brain health too, or vice versa. As I continued my nutritional supplement regimen, my immune system got much stronger. My hay fever allergies have all but disappeared. My lengths of illnesses has decrease substantially. I used to spend weeks fighting with the allergens in the air. Now, I might have a day or two of very mild symptoms. Most allergens only effect me for a few hours now.

So, there is not quick fix but getting good rest is a big part of a short term fix.

I hope you feel better. I spent Christmas day and a few after with nausea/squirrely stomach. I was miserable for those few days.

My best to you.