NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Pick a name for my new grandchild! (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/142530-pick-name-grandchild.html)

Twinkletoes 01-07-2011 03:37 AM

Pick a name for my new grandchild!

Choosing names for our 4 children was such a struggle! The hospital wanted a decision pronto on our 2nd son. We hadn't made up our minds, so I filled in the paperwork with the name "Mortimer Snerd". Somehow that reached my husband at his work -- he had guys asking him, "So, you really gonna name your kid 'Mortimer?'" LOL!

My youngest daughter, Gina, is due to have her 2nd child in a couple of months. She and DH have already decided on Mika (pronounced with a long "I" sound, like Michael, which happens to be the name of our oldest boy).

I was just now reading Blessings2You's post that she named a baby. I've often considered what I would have named another child.

If you had the opportunity to name a child (boy or girl), what names might you choose?

Kitty 01-07-2011 05:00 AM

I've always liked the name Aubree for a girl. And Jake for a boy.

Thank goodness I don't have to make that decision again, though! :rolleyes:

I really like the name Mika, too. I went to high school with a boy named Mica. Same pronunciation but different spelling.

Blessings2You 01-07-2011 06:21 AM

Well, first of all, my granddaughter's name is Mika Shawn (pronounced Mee-ka). It gets pronounced "wrong" sometimes, but she's fine with it and likes having a name that not many others have.

If I'd had a second girl, she would have been Ruth, after my mother. Not a name really high on the popularity charts these days. And a boy would have been Michael.

Now, if I had to name somebody ELSE's child, it would depend on the last name, etc.

A friend has a new granddaughter whose middle name is Kenna, a tribute to her grandfather Ken, a volunteer firefighter who was killed a little over a year ago in the line of duty. Her name is actually Elizabeth Kenna...The first four letters of her middle name, plus the last 3 letters of her first name, spell Kenneth.

NeuroNixed Craig 01-07-2011 07:16 AM

If I was to have another girl I would name her Katrina Marie or Katrina Anne. And for a boy, Aaron Mathew.

Alas, as often and as hard as I try, I just don't think we will be having another child. No Worries! I'll keep trying anyway. ;D

mrsD 01-07-2011 07:19 AM

Sorry... can't help ... right now. Names are so personal, I'd be terrible at this.

We can't even think up a good one for our new kitten! (I found her by luck yesterday...and she is a "clone" of Tippy!)

We are having trouble naming her in fact! heheheheheh

When we had our son 29 yrs ago I went thru a baby book of names. It helps to see them all listed out, rather than think of them from scratch. There are some online lists too.

kicker 01-07-2011 07:33 AM

My picks:Cary Ann for a girl, Michael for a boy.

I had a male student named Micah. This is for Craig (TMI!!! 8-D) I lost my virginity to a guy named Aubrey. Called him Aubs

Dejibo 01-07-2011 08:07 AM

@Mrs D I am so happy you found a kitty! :hug: The loss of Tippy was so hard on you. Congrats!

I like the classic old fashioned names. Lily. Olivia, Sophia and so forth. I like names that can be pronounced, and spelled without having to twist the language to make it happen. Mika is beautiful! I love foreign names too so intriging.

Congrats! its a joy to welcome a baby. It took my mom nearly six months to give me a birth name. The hospital was upset, but she couldnt decide. She was that way with most of her children, and when she was finally pushed by town hall and the Navy (I was raised a Navy brat) she settled on Deborah after seeing a movie with Deborah Kerr. its funny because in high school I dated a boy named James Kerr and had we married I would have been Deborah Kerr. too funny.

Kitty 01-07-2011 09:43 AM

As a child I always hated my name. Wanted to be named something different.....anything different! Now, I'm okay with it. My oldest sister named me. My parents couldn't agree on a name, either, and the hospital said "she's not leaving without a name!". When my sister told me that "Hortence" was in the running for my name I was more than happy to have "Kelly"! :D I think she was kidding but I'm just glad I didn't have to find out. :cool:

KajunButterfly 01-07-2011 11:43 AM

I always liked the name Kylee (pronounced Kilee-long i) ..read that name in a book and fell in love with it. My friend daughter has a little girl last year and named her Journi pronounced (journey) which I thought was cute. Some of the older names are coming back lately..I like Emily also.

SallyC 01-07-2011 11:57 AM

I like old fashion names, too. I named my GD Olivia. My picks were Olivia, Sarah and Maria. Boys= John (my GS, after his GPa), Benjamin and Michael.