NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Neuro Psychologist?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/142887-neuro-psychologist.html)

goale48 01-11-2011 09:52 AM

Neuro Psychologist??

Hi there its been a while since I posted - but out of the blue I have a Neuro psychologist - independant examination - in the next week --just wondered if anyone could shed lite on what goes on in this appt - the ins. co. tells me it will last 2 -3 hrs -- thanks so much
and regards

roadrunner63 01-11-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goale48 (Post 733767)
Hi there its been a while since I posted - but out of the blue I have a Neuro psychologist - independant examination - in the next week --just wondered if anyone could shed lite on what goes on in this appt - the ins. co. tells me it will last 2 -3 hrs -- thanks so much
and regards

A series of tests. Sit down, answer questions, follow instructions. Tests memory, cognitive functions, verbal functions, visual functions, attention/concentration, and more.

Mine, in October, was 5 hours. I am scheduled for another in April which will only be 2-3 hours. (Covering the areas in which I was deficient.)

My boyfriend drove. I was so mentally exhausted after the test it would not have been safe for me to drive. In fact I was down (very tired) for 2 days after.

Mark in Idaho 01-11-2011 11:52 AM

roadrunner's experience is common. The Neuro Psychological Assessment is designed to push your functioning to its limits. There is no way to prepare for it. Just show up and try your best. Do no try to beat the tests. The best result will be if you just respond as your brain will let you.

Been there, done that three times.

Not a big deal to worry about.

My best to you.

goale48 01-24-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 733799)
roadrunner's experience is common. The Neuro Psychological Assessment is designed to push your functioning to its limits. There is no way to prepare for it. Just show up and try your best. Do no try to beat the tests. The best result will be if you just respond as your brain will let you.

Been there, done that three times.

Not a big deal to worry about.

My best to you.

I just had my exam and it was quite different than described there were two quizzes on pain management and maybe 15 direct questions by the assessor and it was suggested that i go to a pain management clinic and that will be in the report to the ins co. - no more chiropractors - so I dont know what to think now - any ideas???

Thanks a million

Mark in Idaho 01-25-2011 04:14 PM

Sounds like you got mislead. You did not have a neuro-psych assessment.

Sounds like a review to determine how much the insurance company is going to push you to settle. Do you have legal representation? With an insurance company like that, you need an attorney.

Sounds like when the insurance company sent me to be examined by a neurologist. The neuro didn't even do a MMSE (Mini Mental State Exam). The minimal neurological exam he did was more about ambulatory function. He did nothing to assess my PCS symptoms and ability to return to work without restriction. My complaint had been about my cognitive struggles, etc.

goale48 01-27-2011 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 738457)
Sounds like you got mislead. You did not have a neuro-psych assessment.

Sounds like a review to determine how much the insurance company is going to push you to settle. Do you have legal representation? With an insurance company like that, you need an attorney.

Sounds like when the insurance company sent me to be examined by a neurologist. The neuro didn't even do a MMSE (Mini Mental State Exam). The minimal neurological exam he did was more about ambulatory function. He did nothing to assess my PCS symptoms and ability to return to work without restriction. My complaint had been about my cognitive struggles, etc.

Thanks Mark - I do feel mis lead - like them telling me my rehab is no good and that I need better care --- what type of pressures will they put on me ??