NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Epilepsy (https://www.neurotalk.org/epilepsy/)
-   -   Not knowing I had a seizure? (https://www.neurotalk.org/epilepsy/143620-knowing-seizure.html)

Lexipi 01-22-2011 02:07 PM

Not knowing I had a seizure?

I stopped one of my medications suddently, and it said that can cause seizures.I was pleased because I got through it, and all I did was pass out a few times. Then my boyfriend asked me if when I went to the neuro for my migraines I mentioned that I'd had a seizure.

I had no idea what he was talking about. He said it was when I passed out, that I wasn't really passed out. I'll admit that it felt weird, I started feeling so weird and then I couldn't move even though I tried and then I passed out. I woke up really confused and tired and figured I'd been weird and passed out and slept it off.

He says that when I woke up he told me I had a seizure and asked if I wanted to go to the hospital but I said no. I don't remember that.

And I feel like I lied to my psychiatrist because he asked me specifically if I had a seizure and I said no.
But now I'm wondering if my boyfriend is wrong. I've felt weird and passed out like that before. I never thought it was a seizure. How do I know if he's right? It seems wrong that I somehow wouldn't know.
How do I bring this up to my neuro and pyschiatrist without sounding like I'm stupid or a liar?

Porkette 01-22-2011 03:22 PM

Hi Lexipi,

Welcome to the forum! I've had seizures for 39 yrs. and before I started to have sz. (seizures) I had wicked migraine headaches and this is what led into the sz. I'm no neurologisit or Epileptologist but it sounds like you might have had an absence (petit mal) sz. I've had this form of sz. since I was 10yrs. old and I'm 48 now.

If I may ask what med did you stop taking and after you woke up did you seem confused, find yourself in another room and very tired? These are all signs of seizures.

My best advice to you is to go to an Epilepsy Center which are usually at University Hospitals and see an Epileptologist (Dr. specalizing in epilepsy) the Dr. will do an e.e.g., MRI, Cat scan and other tests to see if you are having sz. Also at an Epilepsy Center you can speak with a neuropsychatrist that understands epilepsy and will work with the Epileptologist by doing special tests on you. You shouldn't feel stupid or feel like a liar because you weren't aware of what was going on when all of this happened.
Be sure to keep a calendar and write down each time this happens putting down the time of day/night the sz. happened and also describe the sz. Stay away from anything with nutra sweet (aspartame) in it like diet soda because nutra sweet causes more electrical activity in the brain and can cause sz. Stay off of cell phones also it has been proven that cell phones can trigger sz. for many people if they use them a lot. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Darlene 01-23-2011 01:21 AM

Hello and welcome to NeuroTalk. Happy to see you have come to be with us. Just let us know if we can be of any help.

There are great number and caring fellow members here to assist you. Our shoulders are here for support in many ways. Looks like Sue has given some good advice to you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around.

Darlene
:hug:

lor 01-27-2011 08:41 PM

Porkette said absence seizure but I wonder about a complex partial. Afterall, losing contiousness ("passed out") is involved in a complex partial. I have them but don't remember it (becuz I'm unconsious for a second) then I get a weird feeling that something happened & also I'm not quite 'with it'. It's like a sci-fi movie or dream....hard to explain. Awhile ago I walked in my son's room to hang up some shirts I just washed then the next thing I know I was standing infront of his dresser with [B]a guys arms[B] on either side of me. I thought those were my husband's arms & was about to say something when the guy yelled "DAD". Here it was my 23 yr old son keeping me from falling but I didn't know. ............ I'm glad I didn't say anything that I would usually only say to my husband, like 'Hey babe, wanna go into our room next?'. I was thinking of it before he yelled. :eek: