NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Newly Diagnosed (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/143735-newly-diagnosed.html)

DreaB 01-24-2011 10:50 PM

Newly Diagnosed

I have been reading the threads for a few days now and have decided to post. Long story short. I injured my shoulder 9/09 had first surgery 12/09 had second surgery 9/10 and was diagnosed with CRPS Jan 11. I must say this has been a nightmare to say the least and WC is the worst:confused:. I'm not sure what my future holds as far as my job and getting back to work but dealy with the daily pain has been the focus:mad:. I had my first stellate ganglion block today and the pain went from 10 to 5 immediate but it has slowly been creeping back up. I have yet to get WC to approve the prescribed Amptriplyn which I really don't want to take due to all the crazy side effects. I'm looking for support, to give support, and others with similiar case issues. Thanks for listening.:grouphug:

dreambeliever128 01-26-2011 02:06 PM

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you are going through this and it's so new to you. I have had blocks and they have helped but I do believe they need to be done in a series.

I had TOS surgery and it brought the RSD out. I think I had the RSD after some falls but just didn't get it diagnosed until after the surgery.

I've never dealt with WC but have heard way too many horror stories about them. You might want to try for your SS or SSI if you haven't worked before.

Welcome to the group and I know you will get a lot of help here.

Ada

Jomar 01-26-2011 03:03 PM

Hi DreaB,

The WC system is a big pain , but sometimes you just have to follow it thru to the end... Do you have a good wc atty & expert drs to help you though this?
Tips for complicated cases - expert wc atty, expert drs to say the RSD came about due to the needed surgery for the injured shoulder, get copies of all med records - check for accuracy and also write down your symptoms & timelines of when they all started.
ie: wc might try to say the RSD was due to the dr/surgeon mistake instead of the injury that made the surgery have to happen..

We do have a WC forum here also that might be able to help on that part of it with tips on surviving that system.
here it is -
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum30.html

SandyRI 01-26-2011 07:29 PM

Your case is so similar to mine - I tore my rotator cuff at work in 11/06, had 2 repairs in 5/07 and 4/08, and was diagnosed with RSD in 6/08. Wow...

A really good WC attorney is key - WC is a truly evil system that works for the insurance company and not you. It will make you nuts it you try to deal with it on your own.

I've learned a lot from this forum. And the WC forum to which Jo*Mar referred you.

Read as much about the condition as you can. I highly recommend that you join the RSDSA - check out their website at RSDSA.org.

The best of luck to you. Sandy

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreaB (Post 738240)
I have been reading the threads for a few days now and have decided to post. Long story short. I injured my shoulder 9/09 had first surgery 12/09 had second surgery 9/10 and was diagnosed with CRPS Jan 11. I must say this has been a nightmare to say the least and WC is the worst:confused:. I'm not sure what my future holds as far as my job and getting back to work but dealy with the daily pain has been the focus:mad:. I had my first stellate ganglion block today and the pain went from 10 to 5 immediate but it has slowly been creeping back up. I have yet to get WC to approve the prescribed Amptriplyn which I really don't want to take due to all the crazy side effects. I'm looking for support, to give support, and others with similiar case issues. Thanks for listening.:grouphug:

DreaB 01-27-2011 01:33 AM

Thanks for the information and I have yet to get an attorney I'm scared and unsure of what to do at this point. A lot going on and just confused. I will read over the forum and try to get some guidance from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo*mar (Post 738840)
Hi DreaB,

]

DreaB 01-27-2011 01:38 AM

I'm so overwhelmed right now and I'm trying to learn how to navigate through this site<shrugging shoulders> I posted something on this thread but dont know where it went lol. I have researched an attorney but I will review the forum suggested and will take all advice. A bit of I guess good news the block seems to be working :)

Koala77 01-27-2011 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreaB (Post 739000)
....I posted something on this thread but dont know where it went lol. .....

DreaB, and for anyone wanting to find old posts:

If you go to your profile page and click statistics....then click "find all posts by **(your name), you will then see every post you've ever made.

I hope that helps, but if you're still having trouble, let me know and I'll search it out for you.

daniella 01-27-2011 10:40 AM

Hi. While you are waiting for WC if you want to try that med some med companies if your insurance does not cover meds will give it to you for free if your doctor fills the form out and you send it in. I have done that before since my insurance covers no meds. I know the side effect issue is hard but everyone is different and it may give you relief. Plus they have to list every possible almost just in case.

Dubious 01-27-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreaB (Post 739000)
I'm so overwhelmed right now and I'm trying to learn how to navigate through this site<shrugging shoulders> I posted something on this thread but dont know where it went lol. I have researched an attorney but I will review the forum suggested and will take all advice. A bit of I guess good news the block seems to be working :)

Hi DreaB,

Glad to see you made it over here. Be patient! There is so much to learn and this site has many resources not the least of which is every one here!

Lisa in Ohio 01-27-2011 08:02 PM

Hi DreaB, I am so sorry to hear about your struggles. It seems that when it is a WC injury that just increases the stress. I have been on W.C. in Ohio for over 8 years now, so if I can answer any general questions, just ask away. Each state administers their own program, so the various laws will change from one to another. I would recommend that you start searching for an attorney now as the process can get quite complicated in a hurry. Everyones' advice has been right on target for you. Lisa