NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Autoimmune Diseases (https://www.neurotalk.org/autoimmune-diseases/)
-   -   Help in interpreting celac panel (https://www.neurotalk.org/autoimmune-diseases/143848-help-interpreting-celac-panel.html)

AnaK 01-26-2011 12:15 PM

Help in interpreting celac panel

After not being able to control my thyroid for the last year. My doctor suspected celiac due to the fact that I'm not absorbing vitamins. I immediately went on a gluten free diet. About a week after going gluten free the doctor asked me to do a celiac panel. Here are my results:

TTG ANTIBODY, IGA <3 Ref. Range <5 neg, 5-8 equivocal, >8 positive
IMMUNOGLOBULIN A 251 Ref. Range 81-463
GLIADIN ANTIBODY (IGA) 5 Ref. Range <11 neg, 11-17 equivocal, >17 positive

My doctor is out of town for the next two weeks. Do I have celiac or just gluten sensitivity? I feel much better since eliminating gluten.

Thank you!
Ana

anon20160311 01-26-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnaK (Post 738756)
I feel much better since eliminating gluten.

What more would you need to know?

Exactness from any medical tests your doctor wants to run is not possible. It assumes a level of proof way outside of modern medicine's capability.

The connection between wheat ingestion and thyroid disease has a proven pathway and a proven population statistical correlation. Proving a correlation in any given person is not possible.

chiarichic 01-27-2011 12:18 PM

Celiac Panel

As I understand, the blood testing for antibodies must be performed while on you are still consuming gluten. After just a few days of gluten-free, the blood antibody levels begin to decrease. However, it does take longer for the damage done to intestines and other affected organs to repair. If you feel better on a gluten-free diet, then I think that is your answer.

Jaspar 01-27-2011 05:43 PM

It doesn't really matter if it is Celiac or gluten sensitivity. Celiac is just a subset of gluten sensitivity. Although your tests are negative, I read that 1 in 500 have false negatives. Also, as someone pointed out, you are off gluten already.

If you feel better off gluten, stay off gluten. The reaction is not just in the intestines.

You may also consider going off all dairy for a while and see how you feel that way, as well.

Spiney95 04-20-2011 10:51 PM

Just a complaint

Medicare refused to pay for my Celiac pannel last week as they said it was too xpensive................compared to what???? I could spit nails. Grrr.

pabb 04-26-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spine95 (Post 764070)
Medicare refused to pay for my Celiac pannel last week as they said it was too xpensive................compared to what???? I could spit nails. Grrr.

The ultimate test is the diet....do it strictly for 3 months and see.