NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   weak abs in MG (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/144197-weak-abs-mg.html)

shalynn 02-01-2011 12:56 PM

weak abs in MG

Can MG affect your abdominal muscles? The reason I'm asking is because over the past few weeks I can tell a big difference in my abs. For example, it is hard for me to move my bowels (sorry for the visual) because my muscles are so weak. Any amount of pushing, and I'm not talking much, causes weakness and pain in those muscles. My whole GI system seems to be out of wack too. It's as if food just sits in my stomach most of the time and when it moves, it is soooo slow.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it even possible to have with MG? I've looked on the net and not found much of anything dealing with this.

Thanks in advance for any input.

tysondouglass 02-01-2011 01:19 PM

Sharyn- yes I think I know the exact feeling you are getting. I was unsure when I had it if it was due to medicine or what. But of course your abs can be affected.

Are you on meds for this such as pred?

shalynn 02-01-2011 01:24 PM

No, pred. So far just Mestinon. I see my doctor today and I will bring this up to him. So, do you have the same problem?

Thanks for your reply.

brandonc 02-01-2011 01:46 PM

your abs can def be affected....the thing tht makes me notice it is that if im laying down and my MG is flared up i can not sit up without using my arms or gripping something with my leg.

AnnieB3 02-01-2011 03:58 PM

Shalynn, A lack of acetylcholine also affects peristalsis. You need acetylcholine to get your food to move through the GI tract well. Since muscles make that happen, weakness of muscles will slow that way down.

When I went off of Mestinon for a SFEMG years ago, I felt like I would explode from the lack of "going." ;) Once I restarted the Mestinon, I was "normal" again.

I'm one of those who has no side effects from Mestinon, only "effects."

And because you're a woman and don't "make" muscles as quickly as men do (usually), muscles may atrophy or lose their shape faster.

I hope you have a good appointment.

Annie

shalynn 02-02-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonc (Post 740565)
your abs can def be affected....the thing tht makes me notice it is that if im laying down and my MG is flared up i can not sit up without using my arms or gripping something with my leg.

I guess I'm not alone then. My doctor did tell me that your abs could be affected. So, I wasn't imagining it. My abs were probably weak before I got sick, but I can tell they are even weaker now.

Thanks for your input.

shalynn 02-02-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieB3 (Post 740598)
Shalynn, A lack of acetylcholine also affects peristalsis. You need acetylcholine to get your food to move through the GI tract well. Since muscles make that happen, weakness of muscles will slow that way down.

When I went off of Mestinon for a SFEMG years ago, I felt like I would explode from the lack of "going." ;) Once I restarted the Mestinon, I was "normal" again.

I'm one of those who has no side effects from Mestinon, only "effects."

And because you're a woman and don't "make" muscles as quickly as men do (usually), muscles may atrophy or lose their shape faster.

I hope you have a good appointment.

Annie

That's interesting about the acetylcholine needed for the GI system. I know I've read that Mestinon is sometimes given for constipation.

Too many of muscles have lost their shape. :D

My appointment went well. I'm not feeling too well right now, but later I might share how it all went.

Thanks for your help!