NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Amantadine, anyone? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/144238-amantadine.html)

Twinkletoes 02-01-2011 11:42 PM

Amantadine, anyone?

My neuro told me I needed to take 2 per day, one in the morning, the next at noon.

But instead of helping with fatigue, its having the opposite effect! If I'm not busy working, I feel "nappy" in the afternoon.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me: How long will it take to kick in?

Also, it makes my mouth incredibly dry! Is this something my body will adjust to also?

legzzalot 02-02-2011 07:17 AM

I was on it for a month with the same problem. It made me tired. Then she switched me to provigil... which gave me a jolt of energy followed by fatigueand needing a nap. But it also made my heart pound and gave my body tremors so I stopped taking it and decided to just try to deal with the fatigue which means a long nap most afternoons.

Hoping it kicks inand works for you. Wishing you luck.

kicker 02-02-2011 07:21 AM

I've been doing Amantadine since 2002. My meds all give me dry mouth so I haven't noticed Amantadine's dry mouth effect. It made me realize when I stopped taking it, it took me from dead to only half dead.

I insisted trying Provigil and think that like Ritalin has an adverse effect on hyper kids (as a stimulate does the opposite, brings them down, I think) My theory (this is an unproven therapy)that I'm a little hyper so it worked that way on me.

Provigil, a stimulate (Upper drug) for Narcoleptics, made me sleep. Who knows how things will effect us!

Twinkletoes 02-02-2011 09:37 AM

Well, I think it finally kicked in late last night. When I normally would have been sleeping, I was awake. Ugh! Until about 4 a.m. Bleagh.

I have a feeling I'll be napping today. :rolleyes:

kicker 02-02-2011 11:18 AM

I take mine in morning and after nap (3-5, depend)

Twinkletoes 02-02-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 740845)
I take mine in morning and after nap (3-5, depend)

And you can still go to bed/sleep at a decent time at night?

Here I thought I'd be passed out on the couch by now, but I'm wide awake!!! :eek:

Aarcyn 02-02-2011 04:19 PM

I used to take Amantadine. One first in AM and the next no later than 2PM.

The medication did not really work for me.

kicker 02-02-2011 06:14 PM

I sleep 10-6,7:30- 8 on weekends. I take oxybutin so I don't wake for potty runs, In AM take a Versicare. My mouth is very dry, if I talk or make phone calls I chew Mist gum. So far it works for me. I don't always nap, but read or watch something.

SallyC 02-02-2011 10:06 PM

I took Amantadine for a bunch of years and liked it. It wasn't an upper but, like Kicker said...it took me from dead to half dead.:D After starting LDN and Prozac, I found that I really didn't need it anymore.:)

Good luck with it..:hug:

doydie 02-03-2011 12:00 AM

I was on Amantadine for awhile. I don't think it really gave me that much energy but it made so many of my muscles clench a lot. I would be sitting doing nothing much and wold realize that my teethe were grinding or my fists clenched, etc. It went away when I went off the drug. Ritalin has worked the best. I've been on it for to many years to count