NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Mild TBI- 6.5 months later- is it OK to have... (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/144330-mild-tbi-6-5-months-ok.html)

Jeffrey 02-03-2011 10:55 PM

Mild TBI- 6.5 months later- is it OK to have...

One beer/glass of wine roughly once in a month OK?

I had no memory/cognitive/speech problems. Just headache these days.

I haven't been very social the past 6.5 months, but I'm having a beer tonight. Really hope it doesn't mess w/my recovery.:(

Sorry if people don't like my topics.
Thanks-

TBIResearcher 02-08-2011 01:17 PM

Drinking after TBI

It should be fine to have one drink a month. That said, every injury is different and the way alcohol affects individuals is different, so you have to be aware of how one drink can affect you, post-injury. You're well aware that you lose brain cells during a head injury, which means the remaining cells must work harder to compensate. Alcohol can damage/impair those remaining cells which will make recovery more difficult. If you notice any decline or lost progress in your recovery, it is best to nix the drinking. Also if you are on any medications, it's best to check with your doctor first.

Sometimes having a drink or two can bring normalcy to one's life after a TBI, but realize alcohol is a powerful addictive, and often used it to self-medicate for head injuries, which is a very dangerous plan.

Hope that helps.

Dmom3005 02-08-2011 03:37 PM

Please also don't worry about this topic being a bothersome thing
for people. It honestly shouldn't.

I hope your good health in most ways continue. Hopefully the
headaches will get better also.

Donna:grouphug:

Jeffrey 02-09-2011 12:29 AM

Thanks very much for the responses.

Mark in Idaho 02-09-2011 01:13 AM

So, Jeffrey,

How did your evening and next day go?

My one full glass of bear messed me up for the next day.

Other than that, recent research shows that a small amount of alcohol can lessen the damage from a concussion. It also stated that limited consumption have some beneficial effects on recovery. The report I read was just an abstract. It did not state what the researchers thought might have been the mechanism in action.

My experience leads me to believe that those who are used to consuming small amounts of alcohol may get a stress reducing benefit from it. Stress is the biggest detriment to recovery. Think of the glass of wine after getting home from work or even a glass of bear.

But as TBIResearcher said, it effect different people differently. If your experience was negative, stay away from it.

Jeffrey 02-09-2011 06:19 PM

No problem that night or the next day.

Thanks for asking.

Maybe I can even have a drink more than once a month.

Right now I need to consider a root canal if my tooth nerve doesn't improve soon. It is really messing w/the headache.

Mark in Idaho 02-09-2011 08:33 PM

Has your dentist prescribed a round of antibiotics first? Sometimes, your body can fight off the infection and save the root. This is a better solution. It leaves you with a live tooth that can continue to fight off infections. Root canal treated teeth die and become unable to handle infections.

If the tooth is in the maxilla (upper jaw), infections need to be treated more aggressively due to the toxins that get released close to the brain. Especially if the infection is in a rear molar.

Dentists and root canals make me cringe.

My best to you.

Jeffrey 02-09-2011 10:46 PM

Didn't prescribe antibiotics, but I saw some topical gel at the drugstore tonight. Wish I'd bought it.

It's the left front tooth. I forgot if I already mentioned it happened months ago when in complete darkness & while having had a Naproxen, I brought a very thick glass of water right into the tooth.

No fracture, but the nerve might be dying. It has been getting worse every night since Monday.

Ibuprofin right before bed the past two nights, and tonight for sure, but this is getting very painful.