NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Cramps anyone? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/144401-cramps.html)

Poetist 02-05-2011 02:47 AM

Cramps anyone?

For years, I have had bad cramps in my knees. The pain is so strong that I fell down a flight of stairs, when they occurred.

Thankfully, they are not as frequent, but I know I cannot stand or drive when I get them. They come in short strong spurts.

Also, I get them on the top/back/right side of my head and on the arch of my foot. The head cramps don't hurt as much, but the arch cramps do. (Oddly, I do not have stomach cramps.)

Anyway, one day, I had a long drive ahead of me and my knees would not stop cramping. I didn't think I could drive. Luckily, my niece found a remedy, Ibuprofen. She said it was due to swelling. I had no choice but to take it, and it worked. The only dilemma I have is getting to a bottle of Ibuprofen, while I go through these extreme cramps.

Anyway, am I alone with this problem?

Annie59 02-08-2011 06:29 PM

Have exact what you say with foot arch. And it felt like this in trunk and head at times. It didnt really happen this way till after I went on mestinon and had to go of without the aid of my crummy neuro that first winter when my symptoms improved as now I know they likely always will. My body loves the cold and gets better then needs less mestinon.

But in the middle of that first winter I also got a bad batch of generic mestinon. With the fidling around of my neuro and insurance company I was without mestinon entirely for a few days and this cramping in feet hit hard! Now what I know when it happens is that I am out of wack with my dosage some how. If I am regular on my mestinon it doesnt really happen in the big way.

The summer after that first winter when I was so frustrated and with out support from that neuro I was off the mestinon. I was miserable. I had extreme spasm-cramp like things that would take over my chest. When I looked it up it souned very much like what people with MS call 'the hug'. But when I am on mestinon this doesnt happen like it did.

I am not sure that I do not have a version of it in my head and back at times. Before I went into hosp and got the mestinon I would have my intire back lock up in excrutiating pain. I missed my daugghters birthday party in the April before I went in in July and got the mestinon. I dont know what this means but the longer I am on my feet the more horrible it was. She had given birth on her birthday. I had had to walk clear into the hosp the day before to be with her and by the day of her birthday I was in agony and could nt go back to hosp.

Annie59

AnnieB3 02-09-2011 01:43 AM

I really think you should get both your circulation/heart and your electrolytes/chem panel checked. Any ongoing pain should be evaluated and not so quickly attributed to MG. And if you are having symmetrical swelling in your knees, I would HIGHLY recommend seeing a rheumatologist! It could be undiagnosed rheumatoid arthritis or lupus (if you have other symptoms).

Annie

Poetist 02-09-2011 03:00 AM

Quote:

really think you should get both your circulation/heart and your electrolytes/chem panel checked. Any ongoing pain should be evaluated and not so quickly attributed to MG.
Interesting. What is an electrolytes/chem panel and circulation/heart? I'm a layman here.

Quote:

And if you are having symmetrical swelling in your knees, I would HIGHLY recommend seeing a rheumatologist! It could be undiagnosed rheumatoid arthritis or lupus (if you have other symptoms).
My niece said it was due to swelling, but I never to this day saw any swelling. This last time, before the knee cramps, my knees felt like jello. Then, I felt twitching, almost like blood was trying to circulate, next, BAM, cramps.

AnnieB3 02-09-2011 11:35 AM

There are six electrolytes you should have run: Sodium, potassium, chloride, magnesium, calcium and phosphorus. This site doesn't list magnesium.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003468.htm

A comprehensive metabolic panel includes such things like kidney and liver function and total protein.

A urinalysis to see if you are having issues there is not a bad idea (some people have protein in their urine).

A cardiologist checks for things like peripheral artery disease, which can cause cramping in legs.

Just go see your primary doc and get checked out!

Annie

Annie59 02-09-2011 02:56 PM

I should clarify that I dont always have pain with cramping. AS for me I have been worked up completely twice for cardiac and to lesser degree in between by different tests and it is always negative. I have also had the blood testing that was suggested here. When I went back to eating yams it did reduce the incidents and perhaps make them milder. They are high in potassium but also another element that I cant remember that is especially good for cramping/spasming. Blueberries has it too. If I can find it I will post it. Starts with A and is in foods that contain red.

Annie59