NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Need Seattle area TOS doctor, please help (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/144808-seattle-tos-doctor-please-help.html)

anhialo 02-12-2011 12:27 AM

Need Seattle area TOS doctor, please help

Hello,

Does anyone know a good MD in Seattle area for diagnosing and treatment of neurologic TOS and other upper extremity entrapment neuropathies?

Thank you

pixified 02-12-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anhialo (Post 743727)
Hello,

Does anyone know a good MD in Seattle area for diagnosing and treatment of neurologic TOS and other upper extremity entrapment neuropathies?

Thank you

I've heard good things about Dr. Kaj Johansen.

http://www.swedish.org/Physicians/Kaj-Johansen

tossucks 02-12-2011 03:44 PM

He did a reall good job botching a double rib resection on somebody I know....
And blamed it on his body producing too much scar tissue. How many times have we heard that before.

Please seek more than one opinion and realize surgeons know how to cut, not treat.

pixified 02-12-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tossucks (Post 743888)
He did a reall good job botching a double rib resection on somebody I know....
And blamed it on his body producing too much scar tissue. How many times have we heard that before.

Please seek more than one opinion and realize surgeons know how to cut, not treat.

Wow, did he perform bilateral rib resections at the same time? I thought that was pretty much unheard of! How long did it take for your friend's poor results to become apparent?

And anhialo, there is a sticky thread located at the top of the forum that has a list of doctors broken down geographically.

Sheri_TOS 02-12-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anhialo (Post 743727)
Hello,

Thank you

Check with Dr. Richard Seroussi. He diagnosed my TOS with a positive EMG/NCV (rare) and positive in-office tests. He is a physiatrist (physical rehab medicine) and he directed me to the vascular surgeon(s), physical therapy, etc. while I was in the "conservative" period attempting to avoid surgery. I've seen him periodically over the years since my diagnosis/surgery for various spine/nerve issues. I had surgery for TOS in 2004 (so far successful) and had it done in the Seattle area by a vascular surgeon recommended by him. I did see the surgeon mentioned in a post above and know several people who have not fair well. But I also think success depends on the person, how TOS surfaced (one time injury vs repetitive motion) and the type of TOS.

tossucks 02-12-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pixified (Post 743957)
Wow, did he perform bilateral rib resections at the same time? I thought that was pretty much unheard of! How long did it take for your friend's poor results to become apparent?

And anhialo, there is a sticky thread located at the top of the forum that has a list of doctors broken down geographically.

No, sorry my mistake!!! I got confused with my meds and 2 people I know.
He had a rib resection on the right side only, and 2 yrs later went back in to remove scar tissue, then still problems after. The dr. says it is scar tissue again. His Left side had began giving him problems after that as well....
Sorry for the mistake I blame it on the meds.

As far as the bilateral rib resections I do know of one person who did have that done, 2 weeks apart from one another, it was by another dr in Denver, along with scalenes, and pec minor. He also is worse off than before.

I guess my point is there are those who will premote surgery right away. Once it is done there is no going back...It is important to have proper testing done to make sure there is nothing life threatening in your case, but try all you can to have it treated non invasivley...the sooner the better.
This surgeon may still be a good consult for testings etc, but still always seek a second or third opinion.

Jomar 02-12-2011 10:12 PM

I'll add this dr to our drs listing for WA state

Richard E Seroussi, MD
Physiatrist
Male - 16 years experience

Read more: http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Ric...#ixzz1DnxxqAPn

diane54 02-26-2011 08:45 PM

Hi
Dr. Yung Lee, phyisatrist with Northwest Spine and Sports is Great. Also I am see Dr. Mark Ombrellaro - vascular surgeon in Bellevue, Wa.

Jomar 02-26-2011 09:53 PM

I added them to our Drs listings. thanks

Sheri_TOS 02-27-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane54 (Post 748299)
Hi
Dr. Yung Lee, phyisatrist with Northwest Spine and Sports is Great. Also I am see Dr. Mark Ombrellaro - vascular surgeon in Bellevue, Wa.

Diane - Ombrellaro was my surgeon (right side) and I'll go back to him for the left side when the sx worsen enough. Probably should have already seen him as the left side is vascular but I don't really want to go through the surgery again so I'll wait.