NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Magical disappearing annuity (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/144820-magical-disappearing-annuity.html)

Blessings2You 02-12-2011 07:53 AM

Magical disappearing annuity

Since I retired two years ago, I've got no COLA and two insurances have each gone up twice. I'm now making $1200 LESS per year than when I retired. $1200!!!!! Hello? And paying what percent more for expenses? I wonder how many years it will take me to end up on state assistance. Or should I say "months"? *sigh*

Dejibo 02-12-2011 09:16 AM

I say the same thing all the time. If they keep upping the cost of proceedures, pills, and appointments, and then increase federal with holding, and now my SSDI is taxable, when it wasnt last year, and then add on the increase in insurance premiums, cost of gas to get to and fro...its all spiraling down the drain, meanwhile I hear excuses about why there is no COLA for me.

Pinching pennies harder and harder to make them go only half the way they used to go.

SallyC 02-12-2011 12:35 PM

The cascading interest rates on savings accts and no cola on SSR, is what's killing my quality of living. Dang Gov't..grrrrrrr.:mad:

Kitty 02-12-2011 01:41 PM

Everyone I know seems to assume that because I'm a widow I must be well off. Nothing could be further from the truth. Lots of extenuating circumstances......but let's just say I can squeeze more out of a dollar than my Grandmother could! It's a necessity since the government seems to think that the cost of living doesn't fluctuate for disabled folks or the elderly. :rolleyes:

Koala77 02-12-2011 04:16 PM

Different country, same scenario! :(

I retired 3 years ago because of diasbility and use my nest egg to supplement my govt. allowance. Already I've seen it plummet as we replace essential things around the home with newer models that we hope will last as long as we need them.

Our electricity charges have gone up by about 20% this year, and expected to go up an additional 30% before the end of the year making our electricity the most expensive in the world. :eek:

Most services here offer discounts for those collecting benefits, but more and more places are only giving discounts to the elderly and refusing the disabled.

I'd like to know how it is that a disabled person can be expected to live more cheaply than an elderly person, when they both receive the same amount of money in their govt. benefit.

kicker 02-12-2011 06:25 PM

And depending when you were disabled you may/may not own a home or have mtg paid off and some savings.

Don't even want to discuss aging without any 401K or pension if disabled ad not working for years.

Kitty 02-12-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 743925)
Don't even want to discuss aging without any 401K or pension if disabled ad not working for years.

I try not to think about it. It stresses me out but there's really nothing I can do about it. Short of marrying a millionaire.....and that's not looking too promising right now. :rolleyes:

I really, really, really don't want to have to live with either of my children years down the road. I love them dearly but I also love my independence and I'm pretty set in my ways. I even irritate myself sometimes so I can only imagine what others would think of living with me! :o

I know money isn't everything but it sure would help make life easier. :(

kicker 02-13-2011 10:33 AM

Kitty,
I vote for a sugar daddy. Get a really rich one and post how to do it. I'm not a widow but it's something to think about. (DH is going to get cranky about this). Who says I don't plan financially?

Kitty 02-13-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 744069)
Kitty,
I vote for a sugar daddy. Get a really rich one and post how to do it. I'm not a widow but it's something to think about. (DH is going to get cranky about this). Who says I don't plan financially?

LOL! Kicker, there is a website I've heard of (no....I haven't checked it out....yet) where you can look for a millionaire. I wish I could remember the name of it. I highly doubt they'd want gimpy ole' me but it's fun to think about.

I think I'd title my profile "Must Love Cats"!! :D :cool:

Jules A 02-13-2011 09:19 PM

DH and I have always lived simply, paid our mortgages off early, driven our cars until they fell apart and mostly only spend money on our critters and animal charity work which has been a good plan however...

since diagnosis and the increased likelihood that I will become disabled my level of anxiety about money has gone through the ceiling and so in the meantime I'm basically working myself to death to ensure that I have "enough" savings whatever that means.
:(