NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Chronic Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/)
-   -   Inexplicably Bad Week (Rant) (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/145198-inexplicably-bad-week-rant.html)

Dr. Smith 02-18-2011 02:22 PM

Inexplicably Bad Week (Rant)

Not sure why, but this week has been living cuss with virtually every source of cp I have. Looking back, I see it's even coming through in many of my posts (I tend to get terse) and my thinking is more disorganized/less coherent than usual. I don't know if the weather is a factor - temps have been going through wild swings here between the teens and 40s (F) so I'm sure pressures & humidities have been all over the place as well. That usually effects (affects?) my arthritis, but this week it's everything except the neuropathy, which seems to be taking a respite (or else the R-Lipoic I started this week is kicking in really fast). Not sleeping long enough or well either - when at all, and I'm sure everyone knows how that vicious little cycle goes....
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/3...1b86dfc303.jpg

Therapy dog senses something too - he's been really "clingy" lately to the point of being a little cuss....

I desperately need a project to work on (designing, writing - something creative) but between the lack of sleep and the small doses of gabapentin, my brain & vocabulary are inaccessible; I feel like that reporter in the video.

Hope this doesn't last too much longer; I have life to get on with and the way it is right now I can't do what I need to do.

Leesa 02-19-2011 12:58 AM

Hi Doc ~ I can sure relate. I live in Michigan, and lately we've been in the 40's and even 50's, but the wind has been crazy!! The barometer is jumping all over the place, and my pain levels have been out of sight! :eek: I'm on the Fentanyl Patch along with Methadone, but I haven't been taking the Methadone cause my legs & feet have been swelling and I wanted to see if the Methadone was causing it. So far, it doesn't look like it. :rolleyes:

I too have noticed I'm a bit testy ~ my poor cat is looking at me funny. :confused: I'm not sure if he's going to attack me, or if he's really just confused. LOL I live alone, so no one bears the brunt of my temper.

As far as sleep goes - what's that??? I've been going 2-3 days with NO sleep. This nonsense has got to stop. lol There's nothing worth a darn on TV in the middle of the night. NUTS. :mad:

I hope your pain levels drop and you are able to get some quality sleep! Take care. Hugs, Lee

72daywmn 02-19-2011 05:01 PM

Hi Doc- I'm SO sorry that you're having such a lousy week!

My pain has been on extremely high flare ups this week as well, which has been worsened by the fact that we've had two weeks straight of snow and ice- but this week has been beautiful weather with plenty of sunshine, and due to pain, I can't get out and enjoy it! :(

Nevertheless, I hope things improve for you, as best as they can anyhow-
In terms of a project, I find that two things work well for me-

#1- I watch TV and movies on my computer, put the headphones on, kick back in my chair on my heating pads and wait for the pain pills to kick in. The tv or movies help engross my mind to distract me from the pain until the meds begin to work.

#2 - Jigsaw puzzles. I have trouble now sitting up at a table to work on a puzzle for very long, but I have found that a jigsaw puzzle is great therapy when I've got things on my mind.

Wish I could do more to help, but as you told me, we're all bozos on this bus, and we're in it together. Ranting permitted! ;-)

I'm here if you need a friendly ear.

Dr. Smith 02-19-2011 11:59 PM

That Should Have Been VENT....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72daywmn (Post 746071)
Ranting permitted! ;-)

Perfect example of my impaired vocabulary. I wrote "RANT" when I really meant/should have written "VENT". I haven't actually ranted in a very long time, and when I do it's usually something about/related to the politics of pain or other [can't even think of the cussing adjective!] stupidity.

Alas today was no better. Had plans to take a short trip for some fun/relaxation, but every joint in my body - including all the joints in my spine - ached & burned so bad I had to cancel, and just laid low....