NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Can you all describe your day? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/145702-describe-day.html)

daisy.girl 02-27-2011 01:24 PM

Can you all describe your day?

I have a warped view of what I think MS patients can and can not do. I would love to hear what a typical day is like for you all??

I have been dx since Jan 2010, I have not worked since 2007. I spend much of my day sitting on the couch. I do the laundry, and cook most of the meals. I do go out to the store, but I do not go 'shopping'. I really only can handle one hour out at a time.

Kitty 02-27-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisy.girl (Post 748444)
I have a warped view of what I think MS patients can and can not do. I would love to hear what a typical day is like for you all??

I have been dx since Jan 2010, I have not worked since 2007. I spend much of my day sitting on the couch. I do the laundry, and cook most of the meals. I do go out to the store, but I do not go 'shopping'. I really only can handle one hour out at a time.

You just described most of my days! :o

I don't work anymore (not since 2007). Used to work 60-70 hour weeks.

Since I no longer have a car (got rid of it for financial and health reasons) I usually stay home unless someone picks me up. But that takes a lot of planning on my part. :rolleyes: My usual "outing" is a trip to the grocery store but, like you, I can only handle about an hour. There are usually several days in a row that I don't go anywhere.

I still cook and clean, do laundry, etc. But it's all done in little intervals......when I have the energy. Most of my time is spent either reading, watching TV or on the 'puter. ;)

SallyC 02-27-2011 01:52 PM

Me Three..:D Welcome to the "Boring Are Us" club.:rolleyes:

Kitty 02-27-2011 02:30 PM

I consider us all "Ladies of Leisure". ;)

Blessings2You 02-27-2011 02:45 PM

As far as what MSers can and cannot do, you might get as many different answers as the number of people who respond!

I know someone who has MS that hikes mountains, works full time, and actually has a life. (And yes, she really does have MS)

I know someone else who has MS who is in a wheelchair, sleeps a great deal of the time, and gets exhausted folding a few towels.

I fall somewhere in that huge "in between".

Most of the time, my life looks pretty normal, as long as you're talking normal for a person 25-30 years older than I am. (I'm 60)

Dejibo 02-27-2011 03:09 PM

each day can be the same or quite different. Many days I have the energy to clean, cook, chase animals, and go to meetings, and events and see friends and family. There are other days that I am quite tired and when I feel my gas tank running dry, I know its time to schedule some quiet things to do. TV, computer, reading, catch up on phone calls, and the like. Things that dont involve me being on my feet.

I have days that I can walk around the whole block and other days that I dont want to walk to the kitchen.

dmplaura 02-27-2011 04:27 PM

DX'ed about 3 years ago now, neurologist suspects disease activity for at least 5 years at point of dx, so I figure a good 8 years roughly with the disease under my belt...

I work a full time job and I don't suffer from symptoms day to day, except for sensory like burning/tingling (mostly from the neck up).

Medications for pain can control this for the most part, I do have break through pain though. I've not taken a day off work for 'MS' symptoms since returning to work at the end of 2008.

Everyone's very very different...:hug:

barb02 02-27-2011 05:19 PM

I am still teaching full time at the college level. I am 54. They schedule most of my classes in the morning when I have the most energy. When I get home, I usually will lay down for a few hours or sit and read. Until recently I had a house cleaner so I just did laundry and occasionally cooked for myself. I eat out way too often. I need to find someone else to clean for me because I am having trouble handling it along with school. I plan on taking early retirement next year when I am 55. Most of my shopping these days, except for groceries, is done on line.

I typically do most of my grading on weekend mornings because I am too fried by the evening. Evenings are spent watching mindless tv. I am usually in bed by 9:30 since I have to get up at 6:30.

I wore myself out this morning rotating the mattress on my bed and putting on clean mattress pad, sheets, and comforter.

Snoopy 02-27-2011 06:12 PM

What my day is with MS has varied through the years.

I was diagnosed when I was 24 years old, married 4 years at the time. I worked, played, socialized. We have moved several times through the years, yes, I am still married to the same man...2 months from 30 years.

We had 2 children who are now 19 & 21. I was a taxi driver for them and their friends, a soccer mom, I took them to Karate, Birthday Parties, swimming, indoor fun zones. I participated in school parties and always attended parent/teacher conferences.

I have a house to run and when we decide, like now, it's time to update I am the one who shops around and/or gets estimates. I still shop...I love shopping :). I get together with friends when schedules match. My husband and I go on vactions, we go camping and go out on dates. I load the RV and my husband unloads and cleans it.

We have always had animals (dogs and 1 cat). I am the one who feeds, takes them to the vet and when the time comes take them and stay as they are put down. I am the one who handles the bills and banking.

I try to exercise at leat 5 days a week.

I also have days nothing gets done.

daisy.girl 02-27-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessings2You (Post 748475)
As far as what MSers can and cannot do, you might get as many different answers as the number of people who respond!

I know someone who has MS that hikes mountains, works full time, and actually has a life. (And yes, she really does have MS)

I know someone else who has MS who is in a wheelchair, sleeps a great deal of the time, and gets exhausted folding a few towels.

I fall somewhere in that huge "in between".

Most of the time, my life looks pretty normal, as long as you're talking normal for a person 25-30 years older than I am. (I'm 60)

just curious....how did the person that hikes mountains and works full time, know she had MS??