NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   NAC n-acetyl cysteine (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/145883-nac-acetyl-cysteine.html)

bruegger84 03-02-2011 11:54 AM

NAC n-acetyl cysteine

NAC where can u get the powder? they recently had some made by carlson on iherb.com but they just discontinued the product. I wanted to get the powder cause i feel stuff is more easily absorbed in me than if i swallow a pill.

don't get me wrong the pills work ok. but even when it comes to tylenol, i take a tylenol regularly, swallow it. and it doesn't seem to work as well, as say crushing a tablet up and drinking some water with it(bitter.) or drinking it by orally.

I guess i could crush up a regular NAC tablet and mix with water and drink it, but i dont think they are made that way.

Ziggy7 03-02-2011 03:46 PM

Hey there!

I think some NAC pills are actually capsules that can be opened and there's a fine powder in them. I used to get Solgar's NAC and that was most definitely in capsule form, though I don't know about other brands.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Ziggy

bruegger84 03-02-2011 06:19 PM

jarrow

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy7 (Post 749465)
Hey there!

I think some NAC pills are actually capsules that can be opened and there's a fine powder in them. I used to get Solgar's NAC and that was most definitely in capsule form, though I don't know about other brands.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Ziggy

ya i think jarrow has some but im gonna wait to buy them

Dr. Smith 03-03-2011 07:31 AM

I didn't know it even came in pill form. I've been taking capsules for years - Country Life - 750 mg - twice a day - from whoever's got the best deal when we order, usually 3 mos worth @ a time.

Doc

bruegger84 03-24-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 749639)
I didn't know it even came in pill form. I've been taking capsules for years - Country Life - 750 mg - twice a day - from whoever's got the best deal when we order, usually 3 mos worth @ a time.

Doc

I took 5 N-acetyl cysteine(500mg) is that allright?

cat265 03-26-2011 07:11 AM

I just came across this and thought it might be helpful.

When taking N-acetyl cysteine it is recommended that two to three times as much vitamin C be taken at the same time. Failure to do so may result in more harm than good from taking this product because of the prolonged presence of the oxidized form of L-Cysteine. The vitamin C also helps keep the glutathione that is produced from the Cysteine in its reduced form so that it can continue acting as an antioxidant.

cat265 03-26-2011 07:32 AM

You have me curious now, and I can't seem to fine the answer. How whould you know if you need to take n-acelylcysteine? I am about to give up on vits andsupps. Nothing I take seems to make much difference. I am sooo tired all the time. My husband thinks I should stop takeing everything and see how I feel.

I do have a low vit. D and Iron, so I will keep thaking these until my next dr. appt.

Sorry for the rant, you just got me thinking:)