NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Meralgia Paresthetica (https://www.neurotalk.org/meralgia-paresthetica/)
-   -   Symptoms of MP - but nerve conduction velocity is normal (https://www.neurotalk.org/meralgia-paresthetica/145969-symptoms-mp-nerve-conduction-velocity-normal.html)

Penny22 03-03-2011 02:46 PM

Symptoms of MP - but nerve conduction velocity is normal

Hi there!!
I'm totally confused!!!:confused: I've been suffering from MP for 5 months now. I have all the symptoms like stinging, burning, scratching, touching sensibility etc. My local doctor was sure, that these are the MP symptoms. I also got lidocaine injections which reduced the pain a lot.
But today I was in a hospital and got the nerve conduction velocity test. And the nerve conduction velocity is totally normal. So the doctors sent me away:-( They told me that the nerve conduction test is very safe - if it turns out normally you can't have MP.:eek: are the doctors right?? or are there some MP cases with normal nerve conduction velocity?or could it be that I HAD MP and it's healing now...?
I'm quite desperate now. the worst thing would be another desease without a diagnosis :(:(:(

Dubious 03-07-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penny22 (Post 749774)
Hi there!!
I'm totally confused!!!:confused: I've been suffering from MP for 5 months now. I have all the symptoms like stinging, burning, scratching, touching sensibility etc. My local doctor was sure, that these are the MP symptoms. I also got lidocaine injections which reduced the pain a lot.
But today I was in a hospital and got the nerve conduction velocity test. And the nerve conduction velocity is totally normal. So the doctors sent me away:-( They told me that the nerve conduction test is very safe - if it turns out normally you can't have MP.:eek: are the doctors right?? or are there some MP cases with normal nerve conduction velocity?or could it be that I HAD MP and it's healing now...?
I'm quite desperate now. the worst thing would be another desease without a diagnosis :(:(:(

Well, the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve is a sensory nerve which I don't think is "testable" with an EMG. EMG's are for motor nerves. Just a hunch, but you would need a test like an SEP or or SSEP to test that nerve and confirm meralgia paraesthetica

Penny22 03-08-2011 10:21 AM

Thank you so much for your answer!! You have calmed me a lot. Now I can keep on my diagnosis. I hope I'll belong to the few lucky ones who'll get rid of meralgia paresthetica....:cool:

gaz.p 02-08-2013 08:34 AM

I had the same tests and a normal result just rules out other concerns so it points towards MP based upon symptoms. I have been told the same for other tests and scans, they are all just used to rule out other prognosis. There is on conclusive test for MP the closest tool they use is a nerve block, if it works it points towards nerve compression.
Suggest you read as much material as possible on MP as many doctors and other health care workers don't know much about it. I wish you luck in finding some relief.

rMuD 05-04-2013 12:37 PM

Took me 15 years to get it! Negative after negative tests... then one of my docs said how about this, and printed this out.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mer...-and-diagnosis

Year later now, I am 1000% better, Still 100000% to go still :)

The lidocaine test is the only Positive test they can give. Congratulations on a good diagnosis! I only say that because of the 15 years of hell not knowing and thinking I was crazy.

Quote:

Hi there!!

Hopeless 06-13-2013 02:00 AM

Hopeless

Quote:

Hi there!!

I have had two NCS/EMG tests about 5 years apart and both normal which confirms diagnosis of MP. MP does not show up on MRI or nerve conduction.