NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   New MRI results (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/146228-mri-results.html)

aussiemom 03-07-2011 09:36 PM

New MRI results

And docs visit today. The last MRI was in 07, gave new guy the films for comparison. No surprises, L5s1 is getting worse. He says there's not much of the thecal? Sac left. What does that mean, and what happens when it's gone?

As for treatment, he wants to do an injection, maybe 2, of cortisone and lidocane. He says I won't feel anything but some pressure, because the spinal cord stops farther up. Is this true? The idea of this injection is freaking me out.

I have some new meds to try also. He also wants me to walk in a heated pool 30 min x 5 a week.

I asked him about a stim, he said it was for lumbar area only. I need some relief in scapular area too, may have to educate him a bit!

Anyway, that was today. Comments?

RhondaIndy 03-07-2011 11:43 PM

Hi there

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiemom (Post 751022)
And docs visit today. The last MRI was in 07, gave new guy the films for comparison. No surprises, L5s1 is getting worse. He says there's not much of the thecal? Sac left. What does that mean, and what happens when it's gone?

As for treatment, he wants to do an injection, maybe 2, of cortisone and lidocane. He says I won't feel anything but some pressure, because the spinal cord stops farther up. Is this true? The idea of this injection is freaking me out.

I have some new meds to try also. He also wants me to walk in a heated pool 30 min x 5 a week.

I asked him about a stim, he said it was for lumbar area only. I need some relief in scapular area too, may have to educate him a bit!

Anyway, that was today. Comments?

What kind of symptoms are you having that you need an injection? I've had numerous injections like the one you are describing and never had a lot of pain. I had pressure and some aching but it was pretty tolerable. The worst part of the procedure is the local (Lidocaine) anesthetic. It burns like fire and that sensation passes quickly.

Take care!

Rhona

aussiemom 03-08-2011 05:31 PM

I'm getting burning and numbness in my thighs, daggers in my spine, a disjointed feeling, hard to bend over & stand up, can't sleep on back, legs go numb, constant low grade pain.

Leesa 03-08-2011 06:17 PM

Hi Aussie ~ The thecal sac is a membrane of dura matter that surrounds the spinal cord and the cauda equina. The thecal sac is filled with cerebral spinal fluid.

I would imagine if it's gone, the spinal cord is more open to injury & damage. I'm not sure tho ~ I'm just assuming.

There is still the spinal cord at L5. I don't know what he's thinking.

You need to think strongly about ANY injection that a doctor wants to do. ANY injection can cause problems such as infection, arachnoiditis, etc. I've never had any luck with any of the injections but my pain doc made me have them anyway. When I didn't show up for one because my husband DIED - he fired me!!! Nice, huh? :rolleyes:

Anyway ~ best of luck in whatever you decide. God bless. Hugs, Lee

aussiemom 03-08-2011 08:55 PM

I had a spinal when my daughter was born. Is this similar? Just the thought of doing that again is almost too much. I'm diabetic and stick myself allthe time, but this, maybe I'm scareing myself.

How is the success rate ?

Dubious 03-09-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiemom (Post 751399)
I had a spinal when my daughter was born. Is this similar? Just the thought of doing that again is almost too much. I'm diabetic and stick myself allthe time, but this, maybe I'm scareing myself.

How is the success rate ?

Infection rate is extremely low. If I am not mistaken, it is also mixed with antibiotic as a preventative. Epidurals saved me from another cervical surgery. Can't say enough good about them!