NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Joined the Gimp Squad (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/146230-joined-gimp-squad.html)

Debbie D 03-07-2011 10:05 PM

Joined the Gimp Squad

DH insisted this morning that we call Social Security to find out the status of my appeal for disability. I'd gotten a letter on 12/17/10 stating that "We determined that you are medically disabled but need to study whether or not you meet the other criteria for total disability" (:confused::confused:)

So we got in contact with the person who got my file. She said, "Oh, we determined that you are disabled. You will get a check in 7-10 business days"

So I will get a small payment every month, which I am totally grateful for...

I got a weird emotional reaction...sadness. I am labeled DISABLED. Feels similar to when I opened my first shipment of injections...made it real.

Oh well...onward and upward:rolleyes:

jeep4wd 03-08-2011 02:58 AM

This is the same thoughts I had when I was approved for long term disability....Then approved for Disabled parking...Hmm guess I'm disabled.But I'm still me inside I checked will check again later...:cool: just to make sure!Hugs to you Deb :hug:

Dejibo 03-08-2011 07:51 AM

my disability acceptance went like a freight train. ZOOOM! and it ran me over, ready or not. I am happy that you will be receiving some relief even if its small. :hug:

Kitty 03-08-2011 08:38 AM

I applied and was approved immediately. No appeals.....no attorney. I did it all online. I really didn't have much time to get used to the idea before I got the approval letter. I am so thankful that it was so fast for me because I could not have sustained myself financially waiting on appeal after appeal and then backpay.

debw 03-08-2011 09:47 AM

Glad you will start getting something started Deb! I have had a permanent disability parking since 2009, but rarely use it. Only on Dr. appts and am by myself, and have long way to walk. But it does make me feel strange to use it. If my husband is with me, he just drops me off at door and parks the car.
I am sure the disability thing does seem strange for you Deb, :hug::hug:
Take care!!

tkrik 03-08-2011 01:00 PM

Welcome to the Squad! I've been a member for almost 4 years now. It has it's ups and downs but for the most part it's all good.

Of course, as a single mom and unable to walk well let alone work, it saved us. So, I was glad to join the Gimp Squad and felt relieved when they finally accepted me in to the group.

Debbie D 03-08-2011 02:48 PM

It's strange how the mind works...because-
1)I am still 21 in my mind
2)I am thin and beautiful in my mind
3)disabled? Doesn't fit the picture I've created...until I walk:rolleyes: or check the heels of my shoes to see how I'm dragging my foot. That's reality...

Debbie D 03-08-2011 02:48 PM

Oh and thanks for the support...you all rock, ya know!

Kitty 03-08-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie D (Post 751271)
or check the heels of my shoes to see how I'm dragging my foot. That's reality...

You wear heels??? I'm so jealous! :p Funny as it sounds that's what I miss the most.....my strappy sandals!

tkrik 03-09-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 751304)
You wear heels??? I'm so jealous! :p Funny as it sounds that's what I miss the most.....my strappy sandals!

I thought the same thing. :D I miss my dressy shoes too. After I started to walk better again and had my balance back, I found that I can wear wedges most of the time without too much trouble. ;) (But I only wear them when going out somewhere special and I bring my dressier girly flip flops just in case.;))

Hang in there, Deb! :hug: I think we all have similar feelings. I still see myself as a high energy person buzzing around all over the place with the need to rest or nap. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be where I am now.