NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Chronic Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/)
-   -   False-Positive Urinalyisis (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/146302-false-positive-urinalyisis.html)

snafu 03-08-2011 10:51 PM

False-Positive Urinalyisis

hi everyone, this is my first post since finding the board; I hope this is the right place for this topic. I don't know why I had a false-pos and I don't know what to do. I could use ANY help.

briefly, this is my situation (please feel free to ask me any questions you might have):

About 10/2009 I was referred to a Pain Clinic by my neurologist. I've had appointments every month to 2 months. I've never had, nor been, a problem. During that time I've also been asked to leave a 'sample' numerous times. I've always complied and there's never been a problem.

My last appointment was in Jan. with a follow up appointment this month, March. About 2 weeks ago (mid-Feb) I received a letter stating I was terminated because my urinalyisis showed something in addition to the medications I was prescribed !! I've called several times but have not yet received a callback.

I've have no history of any type of substance abuse whatsoever. The only medications I take are the two prescribed by my doctor there, oxycontin and oxycodone and I've recently started taking adderall again. that's it !!

I don't know what else to say - I don't know what else might be pertinent. Anyone????

72daywmn 03-09-2011 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snafu (Post 751434)
hi everyone, this is my first post since finding the board; I hope this is the right place for this topic. I don't know why I had a false-pos and I don't know what to do. I could use ANY help.

briefly, this is my situation (please feel free to ask me any questions you might have):

About 10/2009 I was referred to a Pain Clinic by my neurologist. I've had appointments every month to 2 months. I've never had, nor been, a problem. During that time I've also been asked to leave a 'sample' numerous times. I've always complied and there's never been a problem.

My last appointment was in Jan. with a follow up appointment this month, March. About 2 weeks ago (mid-Feb) I received a letter stating I was terminated because my urinalyisis showed something in addition to the medications I was prescribed !! I've called several times but have not yet received a callback.

I've have no history of any type of substance abuse whatsoever. The only medications I take are the two prescribed by my doctor there, oxycontin and oxycodone and I've recently started taking adderall again. that's it !!

I don't know what else to say - I don't know what else might be pertinent. Anyone????

Hi Snafu,

It's hard to say what might be pertinent, because every UA is different, and the doctors may be looking for anything at all other than these 3 prescriptions. I know my own personal pain contract stipulates that I can take anything OTC, but no other pain meds prescribed at any time by any doc other than him. A friend has a pain contract in which she is not allowed to take anything OTC even without consulting her pain doc.

That being said, it's possible that something as benign as a cough syrup or cold medicine showed up in your test, dextromethorphan is widely used as a recreational high (though for the life of me I don't know WHY! :confused::confused:)
pseudoephedrine is used to make meth, and will show up as a speed.
There are literally dozens of substances that can result in a false positive:

http://www.passthetest.com/false_positives.htm

and it's been well documented that even small amounts of poppy seeds (from bagels, muffins, etc) can result in a false positive for opiates.

Verified by Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/poppyseed.asp

My best advice, demand a retest with a more thorough blood test that can determine exact quantities of exact medications. Good luck!

Dr. Smith 03-09-2011 09:59 AM

The politics of pain strike again....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72daywmn (Post 751476)
and it's been well documented that even small amounts of poppy seeds (from bagels, muffins, etc) can result in a false positive for opiates.

Eeee.... yes and no. That was before the cutoff level was raised from 300 ng/mL to 2,000 ng/mL in 1998 in order to avoid such false positives from poppy seeds.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_te...es_for_opiates

But, yes, one would have to look to any PM contract or clinic policies. I would think some explanation/reason would be in order, and if left to medical practice alone that would probably be the case. But given the current political atmosphere, many doctors/clinics just don't want the hassles of the "powers-that-be" breathing down their necks and having one bad test wreck treatment for hundreds of other patients.

Doc

snafu 03-09-2011 05:24 PM

hi 72 -nice to meet you, thank you so much for responding. you've given me a place to start. I had no idea - i've never thought twice about it when leaving a sample. now i'm going over and over my last apt in a new light. this is all mind numbing - doesn't help my frustration and anger either.

as far as their contract, there's nothing regarding otc. it's hard to believe anyone could or would put in such a restriction. is that done because there are so many that can cause a false pos?

as far as possible causes, i would say the benedryl i take sometimes (i don't know if it's dextromethorphan) but, it's for allergy, not cold or cough. also, at least one prior test time i'd taken a benedryl the night before. i remember this because the nurse had asked what i'd taken, prescribed and otc, which hadn't happened with prior testing. i would think it would have shown up in urine as an opioid.. (!!)
--btw, it's beyond me too why anyone would take this as a recreational drug. what 'high'? just causes me drymouth and drowsiness--

otc that i'd just started taking were a B complex, folic acid, liquid B and Biotin. i thought maybe adderal because i'd recently starting taking it again but that would show as amphetamine not opioid. the only other thing that stands out as different than prior testing was their new(er) testing system (w/different cups).

i'm going to check out the links you sent next-thank you. i apologize for rambling on here. i'm thinking and writing outloud. i realize i'm not the only person this has happened to, nonetheless, it's so upsetting in more ways than one, the worst, for me, being accused of lying.

snafu 03-09-2011 05:44 PM

hi doc-nice to meet you and thank you for your post.

i haven't yet received a callback but i will keep trying until i get some answers. i'm sure they would prefer i just go away. i can't imagine i am the only patient this has happened. my neurologist also said to keep calling and "don't get angry but be forceful".

lefthanded 03-31-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snafu (Post 751652)
hi doc-nice to meet you and thank you for your post.

i haven't yet received a callback but i will keep trying until i get some answers. i'm sure they would prefer i just go away. i can't imagine i am the only patient this has happened. my neurologist also said to keep calling and "don't get angry but be forceful".

I would send a request for an explanation by mail, registered and return receipt requested. When they have to sign for mail, and their receipt of it is documented, they will respond! You may have to send a medical records release as well, due to HIPAA laws. Do not sleep on your rights as a patient. . . . and don't rely on them to get back to you by phone.

ginnie 03-31-2011 06:52 PM

Your rights

You deserve to have their findings dicussed with you. You also have a right to your records. Considering alot of things could cause false/positive, I would ask for another test. I don't like being told I lie eithor, it doesn't make you feel good at all. If the dr. is approachable, talk to him. good luck to you and I hope the situation resolves. ginnie sometimes dealing with certain dr.s is this...:Bang-Head:

dovecottage 04-11-2011 07:42 PM

Have you heard back fromPM doc?

Spiney95 04-21-2011 12:41 PM

Any decent pain doc is aware of what can cause a false pos. Several years ago, my pain doc of ten years, came in the exam room, chuckled and said I tested positive for something I don't even take. He told me not to panic, that he trusted me implicately, and he would get to the bottom of it. We discussed my diet, any OTCs I might have taken and whether my primary doc had put me on something new recently. He had. Neither my pain doc nor the primary knew it would do this. Pain Man did some digging and called me to let me know that it was rare but has happened before. End of story.