NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Spasms (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/146590-spasms.html)

busybusy 03-14-2011 09:36 AM

Spasms

I have noticed lately when I eat, my esophagus will go into spasms. The pain in my chest area is so tremendous I have to hold my chest. It feels like it may be twisting, but I don't know what its doing. It will bend you double. It doesn't last long but long enough to think you are going to die if it doesn't let up. I never noticed this before I began taking Mestinon. All it has to take is a spoonful of food. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a problem with maybe weak muscles? It does not happen every time I eat, but often. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and what was your solution. busy

Annie59 03-14-2011 10:56 AM

When I was new to mestinon I had spasms when they moved me up to 75mg every 6 hours from 60mg. Because of how that worked for me I wonder if you are on too much for some reason. Everyone is different and affected differently.

What I mean by this is that the higher amount affected my diaphgram area muscles mostly. It would only hit when I laid down and when I coughed, something that would affected that muscle harder. I had had a mild version of this when on 60mg as I was first getting used to the medication but it stopped. AT 75mg tho it was a massive reaction that literally scared me. The spasms that would come on in my diaphgram where as if this normally strong big muscle were a Jello mould and it was smacked hard by something setting into this wild jumping.

Yes I think that is one of the weaker places in my body and it was the first place that was strongly hit during my crisis but it is also a place that gets a harder use when I cough or strain to lay down in bed.

Annie59

Pinkyt177 03-16-2011 09:47 PM

I have a spasm in my esophagus sometimes, but I notice it if I eat something hot, not spicy but warm hot, but I agree it is painful. I describe it as a fist balling up my esophagus. One thing that will help is to drink a small sip of something cold and it settles things down.

busybusy 03-17-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkyt177 (Post 753631)
I have a spasm in my esophagus sometimes, but I notice it if I eat something hot, not spicy but warm hot, but I agree it is painful. I describe it as a fist balling up my esophagus. One thing that will help is to drink a small sip of something cold and it settles things down.

Thanks, I will try that. busy

Imatthebeach 03-17-2011 11:54 AM

I have alot of esophagus problems. I know staying away from foods that cause stomach acid are important. Many of you mention stomach problems with the Mestinon. Maybe it is making more acid?
When my esophagus is spasaming that bad, they want me to eat soft easy to go down things.
I hope this goes away for you.

Annie59 03-19-2011 10:55 PM

Pinky, cold helps my muscles in other areas and hot makes me alot worse fast but I never thought of this in teh context of my throat. I will try cold water the next time this happens. Maybe even one of my trusty gel cold packs from the freezer I use on other parts of me epecially my breathing muscles when they are worse. I used to have a big one about 18in. or so and would put that across my thighs to give me a boost. I have good success with using the cold packs on my eyes too.

Does this esophagus thing ever affect your ability to talk? For me everything in there seems to lock up. Pushing out words is very problematic.

So for you Atthebeach it sounded like your doctor knew of this esophagus thing. Did they say it was common, a reaction to mestinon? Overuse. For me that whole area got worse and locked up when I spent 3 days on the phone with my sister around my moms health. It was 10 times more talking than I would normally do and I had it set it severely.

Thank you for starting this thread.

Annie59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkyt177 (Post 753631)

Pinkyt177 03-21-2011 01:41 AM

I do have voice issues as well, I've never had laryngitis ever until the past couple of months and now every couple of weeks, I'll lose my voice. I tend to get nasally more, and I slur very often.