NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Food Court (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/)
-   -   What is Greek yogurt? (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/146856-greek-yogurt.html)

Blessings2You 03-18-2011 12:08 PM

What is Greek yogurt?

How is it different from "regular" yogurt? Does it taste the same?

kicker 03-18-2011 12:27 PM

"Strained yogurt, yogurt cheese, labneh, or Greek yogurt is yogurt which has been strained in a cloth or paper bag or filter to remove the whey, giving a consistency between that of yogurt and cheese, while preserving yogurt's distinctive sour taste. Like many yogurts, strained yogurt is often made from milk which has been enriched by boiling off some of the water content, or by adding extra butterfat and powdered milk.

Yogurt strained through muslin is a traditional food in the Levant, Eastern Mediterranean, Middle East, and South Asia, where it is often used in cooking, as it is high enough in fat not to curdle at higher temperatures. It is used in both cooked and raw, savoury and sweet dishes. Due to the straining process to remove excess whey, even non-fat varieties are rich and creamy.

In Western Europe and the U.S., strained yogurt has become increasingly popular because it is richer in texture than unstrained yogurt, but low in fat; since straining removes water and dissolved salts and sugars, by volume, it has twice the protein of regular yogurt and less sodium, carbohydrates, and sugar"

I prefer it for certain things.

Jomar 03-18-2011 12:32 PM

Oh, they've been advertising it around here so I got 2 different brands to taste test LOL.

Yoplait is my usual favorite, still is...:) I do wish they packaged it in a larger family sized container, instead of only single servings.

To me the Greek style yogurts were a lot thicker and mild, or almost bland to me. I tried strawberry/banana & a plain strawberry.

It was so thick that is kind of coated my mouth and made me thirsty and like I had to rinse my mouth out.
but maybe it's just me and my preference, I just really like Yoplait brand the best.

Blessings2You 03-18-2011 12:51 PM

Thank you for the quick and helpful responses! Yoplait (light) has long been my choice for just plain eating (as opposed to putting in a recipe). My "treat" yogurt is Breyer's YoCrunch, and I saw that they had the regular and the Greek...I was too chicken to try something new. Maybe next time I'll buy a container of some kind of Greek yogurt just to try it.

Sounds as though, if you're using it combined with something else, the Greek would be a healthier choice?

I keep trying other brands and types, either to save $$ or to switch to "healthier" type, but my taste buds keep wanting my Yoplait back.

Blessings2You 04-01-2011 07:08 AM

They had Chobani Greek yogurt on sale when we got groceries Wednesday, so I bought two to try, lemon and strawberry. At $1 apiece, about twice as expensive as the Yoplait when it goes on sale 10/$5, but I figured if I liked it, it could be my "treat."

Just opened the strawberry, and I love it!! Tastes almost like cream cheese, with a similar consistency. Don't know about other flavors and brands, but I'll definitely grab one of these once in a while.

mrsD 04-01-2011 07:15 AM

I am hooked on Carbmaster yogurt with the Kroger logo on it.

A cup has about 60-80 calories, very low carb content, whey protein added (9grams)...many flavors. It is very popular where we live and once they were always out of stock. Now our store has a huge LONG shelf with many new flavors.

It eats more like a pudding (thick), and is not acidic at all. I have it for a snack most days, and it doesn't negatively change my sugar readings at all, and is very satisfying with the extra protein.

Whey protein is very good for preventing sarcopenia in older adults. (lean muscle loss with aging).

Dejibo 04-01-2011 08:23 AM

I want so badly to love yogurt. its sooo good for you, and it does a body good, but I cant get past the taste! ick ick ick! its sour, and tangy, and the texture really makes me gag. Does anyone know of a creamy, pudding like yogurt that doesn't have that tang? For now I am using the pill form of lactobacillus, and acidopholous.

mrsD 04-01-2011 08:32 AM

Carbmaster is for you. I've converted several people over to it.

No acid (however, the new flavor with pineapple has a tang to it)

But alas only available at Kroger's that I know of. I don't know who really makes it...and for a while I suspected Dannon. They have a commercial about a variety of theirs with 80 cals. But going to their website shows that Light and fit is very different.
There is more protein in Carbmaster...and the whey is very desirable for me.

If you type in Carbmaster yogurt into Google there are many sites with happy people like me posting.

Dejibo 04-01-2011 08:59 AM

no kroguers up here. We have stop and shop, and Price chopper, and Market basket. I have to travel about 30 minutes one way for each of those. We have a local IGA store here, but they are pricey and take advantage of being the only game in town.

Debbie D 04-20-2011 02:52 PM

I usually eat yoplait lite, but the splenda has me worried...I've been eating Chobani lately. I had to get used to the richer texture, but it tastes great. Biggest Loser trainer Bob Harper recommends Greek yogurt above traditional because of the lower fat & sugar content.
I eat it to keep the good bugs in my tummy...it took me a long time to get used to it, Dej, but it is worth it to me.:)