NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Sinemet Withdrawal (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/147401-sinemet-withdrawal.html)

Rusty 03-27-2011 09:44 AM

Sinemet Withdrawal

Hi folks!
Anyone have any experience with strategies and timeframes regarding withdrawal after discontinuing use of Sinemet?
I would appreciate personal experience and am aware of the life-threatening hazards.
Thanks.

ol'cs 03-27-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 756674)
Hi folks!
Anyone have any experience with strategies and timeframes regarding withdrawal after discontinuing use of Sinemet?
I would appreciate personal experience and am aware of the life-threatening hazards.
Thanks.

rusty- you are not supposed to withdraw from sinemet, once you take it regularly. Why would you want to do this?

Rusty 03-28-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol'cs (Post 756851)
rusty- you are not supposed to withdraw from sinemet, once you take it regularly. Why would you want to do this?

My friend is on a recovery programme and once the body starts to recover and produce its own dopamine, then pharma dopa creates worse symptomology, as it would in giving sinemet to someone who doesn't have parkinsons.

lindylanka 03-28-2011 08:45 AM

Withdrawing from sinemet is not held to be a good thing, unless it is done under medical supervision. There is the possibility of something called Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome, which I think you and your friend should read up on before doing anything. This can be triggered even by an erratic medication regime, and is life threatening. Anything calling itself a recovery programme is not neccessarily true. If your friend is trying this as a DIY option he/she should be advised that they should discuss this with their doctor/neuro.

There is a lot of misinformation out there, and while some will say it can be done, or they did it, everyone is different, and this is a powerful drug that is known to have problems when withdrawn.

I can't say it clearer than that.

lou_lou 03-28-2011 08:27 PM

ween her of slowly

titrating a parkinsons - or any patient who is ill alredy is very hard!
I will pray for her - they are making me withdrawl from klonopin after 10 years
:confused:

Rusty 03-29-2011 09:31 AM

Thanks for your info.She is seeing a neurologist and has been steadily decreasing dosages over the past year. She is now at a point where her neurologist believes her to be overmedicated at 10 pills per week.
Thanks again.

moondaughter 03-29-2011 04:03 PM

fava juice may be "epigenetic"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 757313)
Thanks for your info.She is seeing a neurologist and has been steadily decreasing dosages over the past year. She is now at a point where her neurologist believes her to be overmedicated at 10 pills per week.
Thanks again.

hi Rusty,

I cut back on sinemet when I take fava bean juice which contains levadopa but in a complete form. you can buy this from a website or juice the fresh pods yourself. hope this helps!! md