NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   MS Self-Support Group (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/147437-ms-self-support.html)

Blessings2You 03-28-2011 05:14 AM

MS Self-Support Group

They are starting a new support group in our back woods area next month. My first reaction was "Yahoo/Oh no!" I really have mixed feelings. I go from "wild horses couldn't keep me away" to "no way, Jose". I'm not even sure why I'm so (yes, I'm going to use that word) conflicted.

NeuroNixed Craig 03-28-2011 05:52 AM

I sure am glad you clarified your subject title in the first line of your post. My first thought was, starting an MS self-support group, does that mean you are the only member of the group to support yourself. Could be a problem when people catch on to your talking to yourself for counseling. Scary thought, huh? :rolleyes:

I faced a similar situation in my area but "I" was the one who started the group. My suggestion is to go and try it out for a few sessions and see if it does you any good. If not, stop going. No big deal. Invest your time and energy in that which provides you benefit and a better life. No one will judge you either way you choose to go.

My disappointment came when I realized most of the attendees came only to whine and moan about everything under the sun and blaming MS for all of their woes, yet would take no recommended action to correct or improve their situations. It got old real fast. :(

Blessings2You 03-28-2011 06:23 AM

The official title is actually "Self Help Group". Sponsored by the NMSS of Greater New England.

I know I've got to go with a better attitude, or there's no point.

kicker 03-28-2011 06:50 AM

Seems to depend on who is in group. Like here, some I always read, some I avoid, some I read cause my life is and attitude is so different from theirs. "as in love as in literature, we are often surprised at the choices of others." I like coming here cause I can come in my underwear and arrive and leave when I want. Give it a shot, then decide if it's worth it. My dad always said "Don't be afraid to quit." Not to be a "quitter" but know when it's time to leave.

wkikta 03-28-2011 09:11 AM

Support Groups can be a great aid. I go to two. One meets every week for lunch on Wed, we even might talk about MS:rolleyes:. Mostly we are a bunch of diverse friends, have lunch and Birthday Cake as much as possible. The other meets once a Month, it is Chinese Lunch Day. All good friends.

SallyC 03-28-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 756947)
I like coming here cause I can come in my underwear and arrive and leave when I want.

I like coming here because I don't have to wear underwear at all. That way, I'm not "conflicted" or constricted..:D:p

kicker 03-28-2011 02:01 PM

I'm sorry!! TMI! TMI!

legzzalot 03-28-2011 02:08 PM

Ha and the man complains when I stay in my Pjs all day! Great now I have to figure out who is wearing clothes today!

Kitty 03-28-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kicker (Post 756947)
I like coming here cause I can come in my underwear and arrive and leave when I want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 757049)
I like coming here because I don't have to wear underwear at all. That way, I'm not "conflicted" or constricted..:D:p

LOL! Well, now Craig has some company. :cool:

Sally, Craig and Kicker. Sounds like an attorney's office! :D

viseeu 03-28-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 757049)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...background.gif I love it!

seriously though, I wish there was a support group around here somewhere, but I'd have to start one probably and then I think it could end up like what Craig said (most of the attendees came only to whine and moan) and aren't really looking for solutions. Rednecks are notorious with confusing complaining about something as actually 'doing' something.

Let us know how it goes, Blessings