NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Chronic Lyme (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/147555-chronic-lyme.html)

Blessings2You 03-30-2011 06:05 AM

Chronic Lyme

I have two friends who have been diagnosed with "chronic lyme disease". Not post-lyme syndrome, but chronic lyme disease. The three of us have a lot of symptoms and other issues in common, so when we talk about life the other one always "gets it".

One of my friends, my closest friend, questioned me waaaaaay back whether or not I "really" got tested for lyme, made a couple of comments about lyme being misdiagnosed as MS, but after that we've been good.

My OTHER friend just won't leave it alone (I say that with clenched teeth)! She is bound and determined that EVERYBODY with any similar symptoms to the ones on her list are misdiagnosed and "really" have chronic lyme disease. I seriously think I'm going to have to break up with her.

I've been gentle, I've been firm, I've deftly changed the subject. But she's on a crusade, because she thinks there's some giant conspiracy and I should just go see her doc and get on antibiotics for a few years and my "alleged" MS will go away, and I won't have to be suffering needlessly.

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

NeuroNixed Craig 03-30-2011 06:37 AM

Blessings,

This is no unusual at all with people diagnosed with just about anything chronic. Since it happened to them and their medical provider may have mentioned many people are or could be misdiagnosed with something else, they begin a personal crusade to "save" all of those people. :(

I believe the only way to handle it is to be very firm expressing the uniqueness of every individual and the many illnesses with similarities that exist. Reaffirm your faith in your treatment and health team and flat leave it at that. Literally refuse to carry on any further discussion about it and make that clear.

I've run into this same thing for 11 years now between "friends," and family members, not to mention people I don't even know who see me in public. All of a sudden every ones a medical professional on your disease because they happen to watch a show with Dr. Gupta on CNN that morning. :mad:

Actually, I find it very invasive, rude, and disrespectful in discounting totally what we each have been through and all of a sudden they have the answer, cure with a new supplemental juice or whatever.

Straight up front and firm is the only way I've found to successfully deal with these types of people. Should they continue to bring it up at each encounter, I pull them aside and whisper in their ear my discontent with their continuous behavior and refuse to deal with it any further. Many times when a toothpick has been applied with little success one must revert to the 2x4 to get the point across. :eek:

SallyC 03-30-2011 12:29 PM

Get out the 2x4, Blessings..:mf_swordfight: :D

Kitty 03-30-2011 02:07 PM

Maybe you could start telling her you think her Lyme dx is incorrect. You think she has MS. She can get a taste of her own medicine! :cool:

SallyC 03-30-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 757674)
Maybe you could start telling her you think her Lyme dx is incorrect. You think she has MS. She can get a taste of her own medicine! :cool:

Oo Oo good one!!:D