NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Recently diagnosed (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/148056-recently-diagnosed.html)

RSD_Dan 04-07-2011 10:08 AM

Recently diagnosed

Hi my name is Dan and I'm a 20 year old male who was in good health until a work related injury followed by a injury playing basketball caused a bad bone bruise and a tear in my illiotibial band. After the doc realized I was in much more pain than I should be and noticed how sensitive my skin had become to touch, he referred me to pain management.

Yesterday I had a sympathetic nerve block done on my L3 vertebrae (feel free to correct me if I'm getting that wrong) and the back pain has become unbearable, they plan on doing 2 more next week but I'm afraid.. From what I've read this isn't always the most effective treatment and the back pain seems to be spreading to my entire lower back, and is quite severe, I can barely bend or twist and riding in a car (even a whole day+ after) is incredibly painful.

Could this be a sign of RSD worsening? And what other treatments are most successful? I am currently on lyrica and endocet, which help somewhat but not entirely.. I also am on anti-anxiety meds which help calm my brain a bit cuz I'm kind of freaking out.

Any suggestions/advice is much appreciated.

-Dan

Jenna Delaney 04-07-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSD_Dan (Post 759980)
Hi my name is Dan and I'm a 20 year old male who was in good health until a work related injury followed by a injury playing basketball caused a bad bone bruise and a tear in my illiotibial band. After the doc realized I was in much more pain than I should be and noticed how sensitive my skin had become to touch, he referred me to pain management.

Yesterday I had a sympathetic nerve block done on my L3 vertebrae (feel free to correct me if I'm getting that wrong) and the back pain has become unbearable, they plan on doing 2 more next week but I'm afraid.. From what I've read this isn't always the most effective treatment and the back pain seems to be spreading to my entire lower back, and is quite severe, I can barely bend or twist and riding in a car (even a whole day+ after) is incredibly painful.

Could this be a sign of RSD worsening? And what other treatments are most successful? I am currently on lyrica and endocet, which help somewhat but not entirely.. I also am on anti-anxiety meds which help calm my brain a bit cuz I'm kind of freaking out.

-Dan

i have rsd in my left foot up to my knee i have had five blocks and they dont last for me maybe a day week or a month is all i got. i have tryed many meds i feel a anti anxiety med helps alot and i have others. i know for me anything soft is good sheets socks pants just a tip

Jimking 04-07-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

-Dan

Did you get any relief from the block? It sounds like the block may have injured your back? How long has it been since you were injured from playing ball and work and how long apart from each other? What was you injury at work?

betsykk 04-07-2011 10:42 AM

I'm a huge advocate of ketamine infusions...the sooner the better.

daylilyfan 04-07-2011 08:24 PM

The fact that you are young, and were diagnosed reasonably fast are on your side.

It sounds like the book 'Break Through Pain' by Shinzen Young may be of help. fmichael recommended it to me years ago... He is one of our most informed forum posters. It has a small book and a CD and is around $20. Shinzen explains how to use Mindfulness Meditation to help with the pain. I have had RSD ten years now, and it has helped me more than anything else has. For some reason, most medications have not helped me much. I think when you first get RSD, it is darned scary, and this book really helped me take the fear away from being in pain.

Juli

edever34 04-08-2011 11:13 AM

Many will disagree probably, but I do believe in SOME cases blocks can and does cause spread. I have seen it!!!. If I were in your shoes (if i could wear shoes lol) I would run away FASt from any more blocks. Just my opinion. Fondly-Carol

SandyRI 04-08-2011 11:55 AM

Hey Dan,

Anytime you feel those "freaking out" and "afraid" emotions it's time for a 2nd opinion. If you don't feel right about a treatment or procedure, take a time out and try to get to another doc. I think repeated SGB may have caused my RSD to spread to my right leg. But I will never know for sure.

The RSDSA has a link to board certified anesthesiologists and PM docs. Jim Broatch (the Director of the RSDSA) also is maintaining a list of ketamine docs. Do your best to get to highest quality PM center in your area.

This is a good place to start your search for another doc:

http://www.rsdsa.org/4/resources/spe..._websites.html

RSDS.org also has a ton of other great info on CRPS. Also - if this is a work related injury, make sure that you have a lawyer. Worker's Comp can be a real hassle.

Good luck and keep us posted. XOXOX Sandy

Teresa Marie 04-08-2011 05:47 PM

Hi Dan

Having been diagnosed with RSD almost 6 years ago (feels like 100:() the one thing I've learned is that when the pain tries to overwhelm me it's time to stop the cycle. One of the other replies mentioned Mindfulness Meditation. Let me tell you that above all the meds, docs, and procedures this type of meditation has saved my life. Getting to the point where you are, you need to get in touch with yourself. As someone else said, when it doesn't feel right, it isn't. RUN.

Getting diagnosed early is critical. I had nerve blocks done on both my ankles and it was a nightmare--won't go into that now. See if you can get someone to mix up a batch of ketamine and amytriptaline cream to put on your back. Or if that doesn't work, try lidocaine patches. These both are topical.

Please let us know how you are doing. I look back on that first few months and remember how scared I was. We are all here to help. :hug:

Teresa Marie

Dubious 04-09-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

-Dan

Have you had an MRI to rule out lumbar disc hernia or other axial pathology?

When you hear stampeeding hoofbeats, think horses not zebras....

I'm not say'in....I'm just say'in...

RSD_Dan 04-10-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubious (Post 760605)
Have you had an MRI to rule out lumbar disc hernia or other axial pathology?

When you hear stampeeding hoofbeats, think horses not zebras....

I'm not say'in....I'm just say'in...

I've had 2 MRI's on my knee but none on my back. I will inquire about it to my doc but I doubt my insurance will cover another MRI so soon.