NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   Applied 12/29/10 - Approved 4/4/11 (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/148081-applied-12-29-10-approved-4-4-11-a.html)

gramE 04-07-2011 05:12 PM

Applied 12/29/10 - Approved 4/4/11

SSDI approved beginning 4/1/11/ I'm overwhelmed. God has provided for my husband and I. Now I can tear up the list I was making of where we could go to have dinner at a different kid's house each night. I had one month before I reached desperation. Now my kids don't have to feed me!

Praise God.

oldhen53 04-07-2011 11:51 PM

Bless your heart and congradulations my hubby and I are still waiting on his reconsideration. I know the feeling we are 2 days from food stamps again and I had a peanut butter sandwich for supper but we are so thankful my husband is still here. God Bless You Both

finz 04-08-2011 03:20 AM

I'm happy for you gramE. The relief of having some financial security can make such a difference.

Twinlotus 04-12-2011 10:43 AM

Blessed Benefit!

I applied for SSDI in January 2011 and I received my back dated benefits on April 6, 2011. I was really amazed at how much help I received from my two caseworkers. I applied on line, brought my medical records in to the local office, filled out the forms asking questions about my ability, and went met with their psychologist and neurologist. The rig-a-ma-roll you are put through is almost more difficult than many jobs, and on top of that, you are disabled!

Now I don't need to use Food Stamps (but thank goodness for them!) and I should hear from Medi-Cal soon.

The county health care system is scheduling me for an MRI in June to determine my recovery status from the brain surgery I had in November.:p

Janke 04-12-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinlotus (Post 761617)
I applied for SSDI in January 2011 and I received my back dated benefits on April 6, 2011. I was really amazed at how much help I received from my two caseworkers. I applied on line, brought my medical records in to the local office, filled out the forms asking questions about my ability, and went met with their psychologist and neurologist. The rig-a-ma-roll you are put through is almost more difficult than many jobs, and on top of that, you are disabled!

Now I don't need to use Food Stamps (but thank goodness for them!) and I should hear from Medi-Cal soon.

The county health care system is scheduling me for an MRI in June to determine my recovery status from the brain surgery I had in November.:p

I don't think it is valid to state that the disability claims processing requirements is more difficult than any job. Completion of forms, obtaining information, answering questions, supplying proofs. Some people put a couple hours of work into the process. Others may spend 10, 20, even 40-50 hours of time doing those actual actions. Not even close to the demands of doing a job day in and day out, 6-8 hours a day, 3-5 days a week, for a year or two or five or twenty.

There is the emotional aspect and the worry about not knowing the future, but once a claim is approved, you have to do almost nothing to get a check every month for as long as you are disabled. Jobs can also create same worry and stress since jobs are also not guaranteed.

But what would you substitute for completion of forms and supplying proof? I doubt you would advocate that money should be paid to anyone who says they are disabled. Surely there must be some sort of organized system with checks and balances.

Cblue 04-13-2011 09:52 AM

Janke...every time you post to my replies you help me out by giving wonderful advise. I respect and appreciate you Janke, but I am going to slightly disagree with you on this one. I found the process of doing the paperwork and all the stuff that goes along with the ssdi process grueling. I found it to be so stressful...as stressful as when I was working...just not 40 hours a week. Being disabled is a full time job that lasts longer than 40 hours a week. It is a lifetime.
Please do not take offence to this. And forgive me if I read your email wrong. I probably read it wrong.

Janke 04-13-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cblue (Post 761940)
Janke...every time you post to my replies you help me out by giving wonderful advise. I respect and appreciate you Janke, but I am going to slightly disagree with you on this one. I found the process of doing the paperwork and all the stuff that goes along with the ssdi process grueling. I found it to be so stressful...as stressful as when I was working...just not 40 hours a week. Being disabled is a full time job that lasts longer than 40 hours a week. It is a lifetime.
Please do not take offence to this. And forgive me if I read your email wrong. I probably read it wrong.

If you add the stress of being disabled to the stress of filing a claim, you probably do trump working 40 hours a week for many people.

Not offended. Nothing to apologize for.

Teresa Marie 04-17-2011 09:31 PM

So Glad for You

Hi Gram-e

So glad to hear you were approved so quickly. When I applied in Feb 2006 my case was not heard until June 2008. I was one of those people the fell into a group that were continued to be put off and put off. Government layoffs etc. Until it was brought out on 60 Minutes... I was approved 3 months later. :)

It was so stressful not knowing what was going to happen. People I knew were losing their homes. So glad that is fixed now. That is one stress that was not necessary.

Teresa Marie

Shari_W 04-17-2011 10:05 PM

Gram-e, congratulations on your approval. Truly a blessing that your approval was pretty fast. It took 3 years for me to finally get the approval I had been praying for. God took care of us every day during that stressful wait and still continues to do so and I thank Him every day.

I praise God with and for you! :)

philly 04-22-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramE (Post 760106)
SSDI approved beginning 4/1/11/ I'm overwhelmed. God has provided for my husband and I. Now I can tear up the list I was making of where we could go to have dinner at a different kid's house each night. I had one month before I reached desperation. Now my kids don't have to feed me!
Praise God.

Congrats to you. From the painful stories I had heard, I thought I didn't have a chance. I won on the first try, 4 months later my award letter came in the mail. It can happen. Good luck to you.